Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage top up

• 19-06-2017 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this. It's only an idea I've had at the minute but is it possible to top up a mortgage on my family home (approx €30,000) to buy a small apartment

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this. It's only an idea I've had at the minute but is it possible to top up a mortgage on my family home (approx €30,000) to buy a small apartment

Thanks in advance

Let's hope not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

dar100 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

Let's hope not

Why is that? There's good equity in my house and the interest rate is considerably better than purchasing the property under a personal loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Karlsand

You cant buy an apartment with a personal loan im afraid.

If you can qualify for a mortgage on the investment based on the minimum requirements then thats no issue, you can have both mortgages running concurrently, but i am not aware of any institution which will do the deal you are looking for.

Karlsand wrote: »
    You cant buy an apartment with a personal loan im afraid.

If you can qualify for a mortgage on the investment based on the minimum requirements then thats no issue, you can have both mortgages running concurrently, but i am not aware of any institution which will do the deal you are looking for.

Thanks for that, that's what I thought. Out of interest why could I not buy it using a personal loan from the credit union or my bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Thanks for that, that's what I thought. Out of interest why could I not buy it using a personal loan from the credit union or my bank?

Course you can buy it with a personal loan. Assuming you have the balance of the purchase price already available (if indeed there is a balance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Karlsand

Islander13 wrote: »
    Course you can buy it with a personal loan. Assuming you have the balance of the purchase price already available (if indeed there is a balance)

Yes its true if you need 10k and you lie to the bank and say its for a new kitchen or something then yes you could get a personal loan. But if your looking to borrow 60/70% of the purchase price of an average property that wont fly.

Personal loans normally have a max term of 5 years. Mortgages for investments can be up to 30.

Sorry just noted that your only seeking 30k - i misread that you had 30k left on your own mortgage. It may be possible to get a personal loan but check out the T+C'S before declaring the purpose of the loan, as you will normally be directed to the mortgage department if the purpose of the loan is a property purchase.

Islander13 wrote: »

Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

What is the purchase price of the apartment?
    Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

Trish56 wrote: »
    What is the purchase price of the apartment?
    Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

About €35k, I know on a new mortgage I could only borrow something like 75% because it's a 1 bed

Advertisement