Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is Long Lane, Dublin 8?

Options
  • 19-06-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I know where it's located on the map, but what is this area called? The Liberties? Portobello? It seems sort of between both and in neither. Officially it's "Dublin 8", but that's everything from the Áras to the canal.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

spurious wrote: »
    The Liberties.
    Cheers. I would've thought The Liberties started west of New St South/Clanbrassil St. Does the area have official boundaries? Probably not I guess, since it's not an electoral area or anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It does, as each 'Liberty of...' had boundaries. Let me find some old maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Always thought the Liberties essentially finishes at New St/Patrick St.

It does, as each 'Liberty of...' had boundaries. Let me find some old maps.
    Yeah, that's what I found when I Googled. It was in the Liberty of St Sepulchre. But apparently this extended to Rathgar, and I doubt the good people of Rathgar would be too impressed to be told they live in The Liberties!

• Advertisement

There's a map on this page shows it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_of_Thomas_Court_and_Donore

It used to be much longer, hence the name, but got divided by Bride Street.

There's a map on this page shows it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_of_Thomas_Court_and_Donore

It used to be much longer, hence the name, but got divided by Bride Street.
    Thank you!

And more googling has taught me that Kevin St Garda Station is sitting on the site of the Palace of St Sepulchre. So I'm inclined to agree, if The Liberties went that far east (and indeed to Stephen's Green), that leaves Long Lane in The Liberties.

Advertisement