Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers and #ad #spon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

anna080 wrote: »
    I used to love James K and still think he's a lovely guy, but he just used to snap way too much and I found his content quite repetitive. He was also a hoor for not #ad

Yeah the constant night-out snaps are something he has a habit of doing.
    One night he snapped 80 snaps of him posing and dancing with friends.
    Like, I don't want to see that?!
    But he isn't the only one who does it.

I didn't know he was a hoor for not #ad'ing though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I love him. I remember ages ago he gave out because people were messaging him saying is that an #ad?
    This was not long after himself and Grace went on I think the Elaine show to talk about how transparent they are LOL.
    He has reeled in the snaps thank god, there used to be looads more.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

Carla Jackson just posted a "gift" she received from Freddy jeans. 4 pairs of jeans. Totalling 490 euro.

FOUR HUNDRED AND NINETY EURO.

She posted all the price tags.

There HAS to be some kind of #ad or #spon with those posts. That is payment in kind. It's crazy. I am in shock that someone who is in the public eye for being Sue's sister is getting that level of freebies. Obviously this is bolstered by the fact she is a stunning girl, but my god, 490e worth of gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Are Freddy still on the go?
    Rosie C got a shed load sent to her last year. About ten pairs I think, all for free. She had them up on Depop a few weeks later selling the lot.

Are Freddy still on the go?
    Rosie C got a shed load sent to her last year. About ten pairs I think, all for free. She had them up on Depop a few weeks later selling the lot.

They are still on the go! In fairness I love them. I bought two pairs of identical jeans last year cos I liked them on me so much. It annoys me that I paid out that much, money I worked hard to earn, for their product, and they throw it for free at bloggers. But that's a different topic to whinge about another day.

That was just free money that Rosie got. She sold them for 80ish each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Freddy Jeans are another brand I wouldn't touch as they throw the stuff at anyone who will show the slightest interest. They are on my list of 'I'll never shop there' along with Caris Closet, Starla Dresses, Bbold Tan, Bellamianta, Flormar, Bella Baby, and loads more I can't think of at this moment!

Ray37 wrote: »
    Freddy Jeans are another brand I wouldn't touch as they throw the stuff at anyone who will show the slightest interest. They are on my list of 'I'll never shop there' along with Caris Closet, Starla Dresses, Bbold Tan, Bellamianta, Flormar, Bella Baby, and loads more I can't think of at this moment!

Fecking Cari's Closet!!! I rented a Diane Von Furstenberg dress from them 4 years ago. It had been worn by several high profile models; Roz Purcell and the like. I rented it for about 250 for the night (more fool me!!!!) When I picked it up, it wasn't in great condition; it was the same dress that had been worn by the different models and was showing wear. Then they asked me for a further 100e deposit on my card! That would be refunded within 5 working days on getting back the dress. This had been mentioned at no point before. I had a ball in 4 hrs and was staying in a hotel with no other dress, but also wasn't handing over 100e that I hadn't budgeted for, so I called their bluff and said "grand, I'll take back the 250 rental fee then. I'm not paying the extra 100."

They let me off after much discussion but they were serious chancers. I found the dress online on sale in the states for 1000 dollars so they were charging way over the odds per rental. Though I was a stupid eejit to pay it. Never again.

And they give all the models/bloggers several dresses per trip/event for free with no #ad.

Meaghers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

fussyonion wrote: »
    James Kavanagh Snapped himself unboxing a new phone from Carphone Warehouse.
    In the first Snap relating to it, he typed "Im working with them" and that was it.
    No #ad and no #spon.

I'm starting to go off James a bit. He'd turn up to the opening of an envelope it seems.
    He goes to anything and everything.

he’d turn up
    To the opening of a gas bill him lol

Jaysus YES! I knew I was forgetting one of my top ones. Uggghhhh that name even annoys me now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

And Kerrigan Foods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

ratmouse wrote: »
    And Kerrigan Foods

Only thing I'll say about kerrigans is that while I hate that they use MUF and other fitness people their turkey burgers are the best that are out there (even MUF's ones)

I hate having to ask for fairy sliders (and have told them that but their food really is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

I wouldn't order from the cake cuppery either. They are all over bloggers snaps at any special occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Retro Flame did an event with Brown Thomas today. I didn't notice one #ad on her snaps or instastories of the event today. Just one on her instagram post. I've noticed she's not great at #ad when she's in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Retro Flame did an event with Brown Thomas today. I didn't notice one #ad on her snaps or instastories of the event today. Just one on her instagram post. I've noticed she's not great at #ad when she's in Ireland.

Hmmm you'd wonder... maybe because she is based primarily in the US they can't apply the ASAI rules to her here? Not sure how that works when people are in other countries... would they have any authority over a non resident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

And now I see a post for retro flame on facebook from yesterday (my facebook feed is all over the place) in relation to an online perfume retailer with a discount code. I remember her talking about it on snapchat and she #ad it so why does she not #ad the post?
    I've found that since she's come back to Ireland for the few days she's been inconsistent with her declarations. And she's normally fairly good at declaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Just heard on the radio the ASAI has warned bloggers and influencers about #ad on posts- apparently Lisa Jordan had stuff on snapchat that were deemed misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

Siobhnk wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio the ASAI has warned bloggers and influencers about #ad on posts- apparently Lisa Jordan had stuff on snapchat that were deemed misleading.

Here it is on the ASAI complaints bulletin;
    http://www.asai.ie/complaint/just-jordanuniversal-pictures-international-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    Siobhnk wrote: »

Here it is on the ASAI complaints bulletin;
    http://www.asai.ie/complaint/just-jordanuniversal-pictures-international-ireland/

Thanks! They didn't elaborate so I wasn't sure what it was about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I think it's fairly safe to assume at this stage, for Irish bloggers at least, that none of them are believable when it comes to any product. Basically, if they're showing it then it's an ad and take that from it what you will. Sad as it will erode any credibility they have as marketers in the long term or that blogging has as a soft marketing tactic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Angel not angle! Still don't get people being paid for promoting something and don't even get the name right!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

idunno78 wrote: »
    Angel not angle! Still don't get people being paid for promoting something and don't even get the name right!!!

Sue is bad for this

Rosanna Davison has been on her Constance Hotel sponsored trip to Mauritius and the Seychelles since the 17th of September and hasn't bothered to #ad on her snaps once.

She's there by herself for the company. She has announced herself as the brand ambassador/nutritional menu adviser/some other makey uppy thing. All her snaps are showing off the hotels and locations and not a sign of a hashtag anywhere other than insta posts (and not all of them either!)

Anyone have any guesses on who the duo were that wanted to get the free meal and the chef told them to bog off?? My guess is someone mentioned in this thread ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

Anyone have any guesses on who the duo were that wanted to get the free meal and the chef told them to bog off?? My guess is someone mentioned in this thread ;-)

Well they have to be Vegan so I’m stumped :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

My guess is James kav. He often does posts about different restaurants. Maybe he doing top 5/10 vegan restaurants in Ireland post.
    He often goes to restaurants and gets special treatment e.g chapter one-chefs table ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

My guess is James kav. He often does posts about different restaurants. Maybe he doing top 5/10 vegan restaurants in Ireland post.
    He often goes to restaurants and gets special treatment e.g chapter one-chefs table ect.

He's not vegan though? Why would he say he can put it in a top vegan restaurant of Ireland book. I'm sure if you are vegan you would not listen to recommendations from non vegans

I have a feeling this isn't from a well known blogger. Someone said before Rosanna or happy pear guys. I think the restaurant has made too much of a deal about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

The restaurant has appeared to kick up a bit of a fuss about it but I reckon it's the straw that broke the camels back. There appears to be a lot of "bloggers" (in the Irish sense) who simply make a living out of blagging free stuff. I'd say the chef was simply sick of being asked for free meals in exchange for "exposure". The restaurant doesn't need exposure as it's well known in itself but I suppose the chef was sick of these chancers asking for freebies. Pity more businesses don't stand up to them. I go out of my way to actively avoid the businesses that hand out free stuff to "Snapchat famous" personalities.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

http://evoke.ie/news/irish-news/asai-irish-influencers-sponsored-posts

The ASAI investigated complaints into Just Jordan and Faces by Grace but rather than uphold them, it "released a statement warning bloggers of their responsibilities to their commerical partners".

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Sorry missed the point about the vegan book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

fg1406 wrote: »
    The restaurant has appeared to kick up a bit of a fuss about it but I reckon it's the straw that broke the camels back. There appears to be a lot of "bloggers" (in the Irish sense) who simply make a living out of blagging free stuff. I'd say the chef was simply sick of being asked for free meals in exchange for "exposure". The restaurant doesn't need exposure as it's well known in itself but I suppose the chef was sick of these chancers asking for freebies. Pity more businesses don't stand up to them. I go out of my way to actively avoid the businesses that hand out free stuff to "Snapchat famous" personalities.
    I saw someone on that Galz facebook group talking about how this is normal for bloggers and it's called "collaboration" and saying the restaurant were out of order. Its one thing to approach companies you think might be looking to increase their advertising, it's a whole other to go blagging for free meals at Michelin star restaurants (who I doubt need some snapchatters exposure) because you think you're famous. It basically summed up the attitude that annoys people about some of these chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

http://evoke.ie/news/irish-news/asai-irish-influencers-sponsored-posts

The ASAI investigated complaints into Just Jordan and Faces by Grace but rather than uphold them, it "released a statement warning bloggers of their responsibilities to their commerical partners".

"Chief Executive of the ASAI, Orla Twomey, told the Times that they are currently examining 39 different complaints against bloggers." :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Just watched Grace's snaps from yesterday on the Ciara Daly brushes and every single one was #ad which was great.

She mentioned she's been using the brushes for 4 months (I think) because she wanted to use them to get a feel for them first, which I totally agree with - same for skin care. However, what is her secret, they looked sooooo clean, almost brand new. Wish mine would look like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

wyrn wrote: »
    Just watched Grace's snaps from yesterday on the Ciara Daly brushes and every single one was #ad which was great.

She mentioned she's been using the brushes for 4 months (I think) because she wanted to use them to get a feel for them first, which I totally agree with - same for skin care. However, what is her secret, they looked sooooo clean, almost brand new. Wish mine would look like that

She was raving about the foundation brush, that it was the best foundation brush she's ever used. Yet she took it out of the box and had to remove the protective cover. Looked like it had never been used.

Couldn't pronounce Angel either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

wyrn wrote: »

Firstly, I was actually impressed that Grace did a review (even if it was #ad, I can accept that). It made a change from watching snaps of Sienna :rolleyes:

Secondly, the one thing I really liked on the brushes is the way they were split into the different collections - brows / eyeshadows / face / lips etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

muggles wrote: »
    Firstly, I was actually impressed that Grace did a review (even if it was #ad, I can accept that). It made a change from watching snaps of Sienna :rolleyes:

Secondly, the one thing I really liked on the brushes is the way they were split into the different collections - brows / eyeshadows / face / lips etc.
    I actually really liked the packaging. It's simple, clean and you can see exactly what it is. The colour and size are quite practical. I'm not sold on the white Rosie Con brushes at all. I'm really tempted to try the ones Grace was showcasing, curse my darn financial constraints at the moment. That ad was much better and more natural than the millions of Meaghars ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

By default anything she's advertising I will not buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

I thought the brushes looked like really good quality brushes but then as a previous poster pointed out - she took them out of brand new packagaing which were un-used. I really feel like you cant take anything she says seriously.

I was in one of the NameIT kids clothes shops over the weekend and my sister remarked how seeing her advertising the place would completely put her off the place if the clothes werent so nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't think it's an Irish blogger. There is a big travel blogger conference TBEX on in Killarney soon, and my money is on it being one of those bloggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

In my old job you'd get a few emails a week off "bloggers" looking to "collaborate", freebies for them, "exposure on social media to an organic following" for us. No thanks babes.

• Advertisement

From the Evoke article on JJ "Eventually, Universal admitted that it wasn’t entirely practical to be able to put all the hashtags on a series of ‘concurrent snaps’ that may have gone up on the app"
    Eh- what? Why not? Why are they enabling blatant laziness? It's not that hard nor does it make much effort to #ad.
    They manage no bother to add the filters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

dudara wrote: »
    I don't think it's an Irish blogger. There is a big travel blogger conference TBEX on in Killarney soon, and my money is on it being one of those bloggers.

The restaurant is in Kilkenny :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

poppies2 wrote: »
    The restaurant is in Kilkenny :)

Yes, but there will be tours for these travel bloggers throughout Ireland. They're not going to spend all their time in Killarney.

From the Evoke article on JJ "Eventually, Universal admitted that it wasn’t entirely practical to be able to put all the hashtags on a series of ‘concurrent snaps’ that may have gone up on the app"
    Eh- what? Why not? Why are they enabling blatant laziness? It's not that hard nor does it make much effort to #ad.
    I laughed at that too, it disrupts the flow...well ads disrupt the flow of a tv show I'm watching but at least I know they're ads. The ASAI are a joke in all honesty, they're really want to get themselves some teeth so they can start issuing fines or something. I do like that they go public with them, but a slap on the wrist clearly isnt working. They'll behave for a few weeks then go back to their old ways

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

dudara wrote: »
    Yes, but there will be tours for these travel bloggers throughout Ireland. They're not going to spend all their time in Killarney.

True!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

well it won’t happen again because Snapchat let you snap more than 10 seconds and the comment stays on all the snaps also if she couldn’t snap over 10 seconds why not record it and upload the video through camera roll with the # after it was filmed. A load of excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Ok I might just be in a bad mood because it's Monday, but Graces snaps annoyed me. Good for her she is slowly learning to #ad, but don't go and snap at the end with a Bitmoji looking sad holding an empty wallet. She didn't pay for
    any of the clothes she got today. She bought nothing and was paid to be there and got her and Sienna's winter wardrobe for free .🀥

heyjude88 wrote: »
    Ok I might just be in a bad mood because it's Monday, but Graces snaps annoyed me. Good for her she is slowly learning to #ad, but don't go and snap at the end with a Bitmoji looking sad holding an empty wallet. She didn't pay for
    any of the clothes she got today. She bought nothing and was paid to be there and got her and Sienna's winter wardrobe for free .🀥

That's the first thing i noticed too! Bitmoji of an empty wallet when you haven't spent a dime. Ah here.

I go between thinking she's completely clueless to she knows exactly what she's doing to make herself seem more relatable to her followers. if she didnt have her snaps closed I'd be tempted to point out, if it's sponsored why is she acting like she paid and has spent all her money?
    She didn't even snap in the stores, just outside. I presume there will be more snaps and instagram

• Advertisement

It seemed like a pretty pointless endeavour. She didn't show inside any shops- only outside of two. So basically we saw nothing and when she shows what she bought later it'll be no different to what you can get in any shopping centre. There must have been four snaps in total? One of the outside of Forever 21, another of her going to lunch, the next was the outside of Topshop- and last one was Sienna flat out at home time. She kinda took the piss a bit.
    I'd say it's hardly the promotion Jervis wanted.

Advertisement