Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers and #ad #spon

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was looking at cherry sues post on advent calendar by L'Occitane she's states she only endorses stuff she likes. Actually made me consider it as a gift as looks lovely. I'd rather trust a review that's open like that.
    Her post - ** This post is a paid for collaboration with L'Occitane. I would never and will never endorse a product or brand I don't wholeheartedly love & spend my own hard earned cashola on. This brand isboth of those things**

I don't follow her so don't know what her other stuff is like #ad wise but that one is fairly clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

pc7 wrote: »
    I was looking at cherry sues post on advent calendar by L'Occitane she's states she only endorses stuff she likes. Actually made me consider it as a gift as looks lovely. I'd rather trust a review that's open like that.
    Her post - ** This post is a paid for collaboration with L'Occitane. I would never and will never endorse a product or brand I don't wholeheartedly love & spend my own hard earned cashola on. This brand isboth of those things**

I don't follow her so don't know what her other stuff is like #ad wise but that one is fairly clear.
    I like Cherry Sue, she's pretty no nonsense. She's like that friend who you can ask if a dress looks good on you and she'd give you a straight answer. I dunno maybe I like her because she doesn't really fit into that influencer sphere of light and happiness. That's not a dig at MUF, I just don't know how to describe it. She seems more professional and has more feathers in her hat than "here's a haul of all the free stuff I got". Maybe because she has work in other areas like tv and public speaking, that she doesn't feel the need to plug every item she gets?

As an aside, I got the L'Occitane Advent Calendar 2 years ago and I loved it. Last years I got the M&S one and I loved it too. Both had pretty decent sized items and the M&S introduced me to brands that I never heard of before. I'm now a huge fan of Emma Hardie's MorningA Cleansing Balm. It's divine.

I think think the above plays into why I've dropped following so many beauty / lifestyle bloggers. They all promote the same stuff at around the same time. I've vowed never to step into Meaghers because of this. One of the bloggers should get 1 of the advent calendars and talk about each item.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Oh must look at M&S one thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I'd give MUF the benefit of the doubt with the white hashtag, white is snapchats default colour used for writing. Grace however was definitely out to mislead, there's no way she made the hashtag that small, same shade of grey as the background and hidden behind her name by accident. I remember it being discussed here and on the gals who snap page when it happened, I couldn't get over the amount of people defending her!

I was very tempted by the M&S calendar last year but decided against it. I'm definitely not missing out this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

Siobhnk wrote: »
    I'd give MUF the benefit of the doubt with the white hashtag, white is snapchats default colour used for writing. Grace however was definitely out to mislead, there's no way she made the hashtag that small, same shade of grey as the background and hidden behind her name by accident. I remember it being discussed here and on the gals who snap page when it happened, I couldn't get over the amount of people defending her!

I was very tempted by the M&S calendar last year but decided against it. I'm definitely not missing out this year!

The amount of people that defended her over it made me laugh! You could CLEARLY see she did it deliberately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Have been reading here for a while, I am mid 40s so tend to follow bloggers who are similar both in Ireland and UK

The difference is night & day both in content and the transparency. I have unfollowed Lisa Lust List. Recently it's all about what she's getting from various companies, holidays, staying in the Westin etc, not an ad in sight.

Content of a lot of the Irish "bloggers " seems to be photos from high street shops or in Lisa's case boutiques. compared to UK bloggers like Does my Bum look 40 where you have well researched and well written articles on clothes and fashion.

I do feel that the content suffers due to so much #sponsor/ad etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I really think the ASAI need to do go back to the drawing board and redefine the hashtags because the whole #IWorkWith and #BrandAmbassedor is very vague imo

The ASAI either needs a complete overhaul or they need to grow balls. For an Advertisement Standards Agency they don't seem to have much standards. Slap any old crap on the screen sure seems to be reasonable enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Grace was at the new palette launch. No #ad on the palette snaps but has in the tan snaps. Wonder do some of them get paid to mention certain products or is it the whole brand? MUF always has #ad in her snaps about it?
    Anyone notice did Suzanne mention this palette? It's the girl that did her makeup for wedding who she raved about so surprised she hasn't mentioned it? Know it's her competition but still! Maybe I should start a new threAd by don't know incase it goes down the 'bad' route!!?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Good afternoon folks - I've just had to delete a number of posts from the thread that were inappropriate for a few different reasons.

Discussing personal appearance is not permitted as per the charter.

Naming someone's work place is both irrelevant to this thread and inappropriate.

Referring to someone as "nuts" or as a "fraud" or anything similar could be construed as defamatory and could get us, and you, in a lot of trouble legally.

Please be mindful of how you post and always assume that a lot more people than those replying to the thread will read it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

Interesting that nothing was mentioned by the main bloggers about the coco brown launch yesterday. Only noticed a few posts on social media about it all and thats only becasuse I clicked on a # Marissa had up.
    Marissa looks to have teamed up with that Ali girl from goss.ie as thats the only person who seems to be pushing it.

• Advertisement

Didn't she burn all her bridges with them when she insulted the industry? I'm relying on flaky memory here so I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭scarbouro

She only invited the press this time round! All the editors of the top magazines and girls from Xpose. Not a sign of a blogger or influencer... I definitely think she p#$$ed a lot of people off that time. I think she's trying to prove she doesn't need them backing her to make money.

I noticed Rosie C is now using Catwalk hq tan. She used to swear by coco brown and always bang on about it. Was she the brand ambassador at one point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

heyjude88 wrote: »
    Interesting that nothing was mentioned by the main bloggers about the coco brown launch yesterday. Only noticed a few posts on social media about it all and thats only becasuse I clicked on a # Marissa had up.
    Marissa looks to have teamed up with that Ali girl from goss.ie as thats the only person who seems to be pushing it.
    I seen Marissa doing a snapchat or instragram of the table decorations before it started and went around the table to show all the place settings with the names on it - I didn't recognise a single name except I presume Cassie is from Expose. I think Marissa had it billed as a "press" launch - however I didn't hear one word since about what was actually launched (although I haven't been on snap or insta today yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

*Mod please delete if not allowed, this is about photoshop but not appearance*

There is a post going around facebook showing Suzanne Jackson has photoshopped quite a lot of her photos very badly. Disclaimer: not her appearance, just the background of her pics.

She put up an #ad post for Cluse watches while on a plane, with her hand resting on the window, looking out to an Aerlingus plane across the way with a very badly photo shopped group of seagulls in the background at Dublin Airport.
    Apparently airports have loads of software in place to repel birds because they can cause crashes if they get sucked into the propellers. The airport is also apparently located 12km inland from the coast so there's no reason a random flock of seagulls would be hovering over the runway of the airport.

She uses the same flock of birds in several other pics but they weren't #ad so they aren't relevant to the thread, as well as some other discrepancies in other photos. I couldn't believe how unprofessional it looked, I get she was just trying to make the pic look prettier but she should have done her research first, you never see birds near airports.

The post has over 3.5k likes at this stage so I wonder will she address it herself or just hope it slips under the radar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

It won't slip under the radar I don't think, a Facebook page called the chicken fillet roll review (:D) is absolutely ripping the piss out of her over it, and I just saw a tweet some random person put up of a picture of Dublin with the same flock of seagulls photoshopped into it!

Disappointed to hear she's being paid by Cluse, I had my eye on a watch of theirs, I'll look elsewhere now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

She did actually reply to the thread, I saw someone posted a screenshot in Galz.

22365567_181813322385881_7892410296674971792_n.jpg?oh=ad2cfbf5578c380f8c425fabe2794c5a&oe=5A80F55E

So at least she's taking it in good humour!

That is hilarious! Looks like she's seeing the funny side herself. :D:D

Edit: Trying to upload the original pic with no luck, anyone able to upload it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

She did actually reply to the thread, I saw someone posted a screenshot in Galz.

22365567_181813322385881_7892410296674971792_n.jpg?oh=ad2cfbf5578c380f8c425fabe2794c5a&oe=5A80F55E

So at least she's taking it in good humour!

Saw this too. Very funny.

She deleted that post of Instagram but left some of the others including one with a very dodgy tree. I wonder if it is because that ones an ad and the others aren’t. I doubt cluse would want to be associated with it.

You can see the post here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Yeah that Photoshop is fairly shocking, the birds do look very fake! But sure isn't photoshopping birds and light beams into a photo better than photoshopping herself to look skinnier :P (I'm not sure if she does/doesn't, haven't found any evidence to say that she does)

It reminds me of British blogger Amelia Liana and how she was outed and shamed for the same thing during the summer. Hers were way worse though. She was actually cropping people out and even using old stock photos as her own.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4698818/amp/British-travel-blogger-called-fake-images.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

4daad5a348934b7874340a54ac582495.png

The Irish Mirror and Her.ie are running stories about it, don't think its going to go away easily.

Very random that the media jumped straight on this, but not the concrete evidence that Taylor and Rose were selling Ali Express products. I would have found that way more newsworthy. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    The Irish Mirror and Her.ie are running stories about it, don't think its going to go away easily.

Very random that the media jumped straight on this, but not the concrete evidence that Taylor and Rose were selling Ali Express products. I would have found that way more newsworthy. Weird.

They're just echoing what is popular on Facebook. The Ali Express was more on instagram.

DEAD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I like that she didn't stay quiet and took the mick out of herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

Honestly I’m crying laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Siobhnk wrote: »
    Yeah that Photoshop is fairly shocking, the birds do look very fake! But sure isn't photoshopping birds and light beams into a photo better than photoshopping herself to look skinnier :P (I'm not sure if she does/doesn't, haven't found any evidence to say that she does)

Well it's better than altering your appearance but it's just so random and hilarious. I'd say it was nearly done on purpose. The fake tree is just ridiculous though.

SB_Part2 wrote: »

Yea she has balls I like that about her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Agreed. The photo she sent them back of the chicken fillet roll photshopped in was very funny! However she has apparently removed the original photoshopped pic showing off the watch from her instrgram, I assume it was because it was a #ad.

• Advertisement

The story has been posted into a group I'm in on fb (won't name which ;)) and loads are commenting saying that people are dragging a successful business woman down, and anyone who thinks its funny is just jealous and full of hate, and the person who noticed the fake seagulls is the problem because they're picking on Sue's "flaws" :confused:

I'm not her biggest fan but I think this is hilarious. Not in a nasty way, I genuinely think its funny. Even better craic that Sue is joining in on the piss taking herself. The dramatics from some groups is ridiculous. You can find something amusing without being a massive b*tch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Photoshoping seagulls into a photo is very random alright but like someone said above, it's nowhere near as bad as photoshopping your face and your body to the point of looking like a completely different person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

That's exactly what I thought reading it this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I wonder if the seagulls are a 'standard' filter on photoshop. I have photoshop at home, I must have a look for it.

The story has been posted into a group I'm in on fb (won't name which ;)) and loads are commenting saying that people are dragging a successful business woman down, and anyone who thinks its funny is just jealous and full of hate, and the person who noticed the fake seagulls is the problem because they're picking on Sue's "flaws" :confused:

I'm not her biggest fan but I think this is hilarious. Not in a nasty way, I genuinely think its funny. Even better craic that Sue is joining in on the piss taking herself. The dramatics from some groups is ridiculous. You can find something amusing without being a massive b*tch.

Yeah but as soon as anything is said in that group that's perceived as against a blogger, you'll always be shouted down as being "jealous" or a "hater" or told "if you don't like don't follow".

Have it hidden from my news feed these days, only pop in every now and again cos my poor eyes do be strained from all the eye rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

The ones with the lens flare are worse. Especially when they shadows are going in the opposite direction. At least she laughed at herself but why even photoshop seagulls in to pictures in the first place.

wendydoll wrote: »
    The ones with the lens flare are worse. Especially when they shadows are going in the opposite direction. At least she laughed at herself but why even photoshop seagulls in to pictures in the first place.

My personal favourite is the one where the sun is in the plane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

She caught rapid and trying to play it off with humour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Madam Oblong

I wonder if the seagulls are a 'standard' filter on photoshop. I have photoshop at home, I must have a look for it.

It's a standard effect on the iPhone 8. Absolutely hilarious though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

anna080 wrote: »
    My personal favourite is the one where the sun is in the plane.

Mine too

• Advertisement

It's a standard effect on the iPhone 8. Absolutely hilarious though

Oh, so it isn't even photoshop?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

She said it's an app called Skyapp

''Bloggers do edit their photographs, there is an app called Skyapp and bloggers have used it. I used it twice and thought to myself, 'Nah, I'm not really into it - I'm not feeling it' and never used it again.''

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-blogger-suzanne-jackson-answers-11335665

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Taking in such good humour she has deleted the posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

"I just laughed and thought this is absolutely gas, they picked up on something so creative.

😅😅😅

I think she is taking it in good humour but is also kind of passive aggressive with it. Like I'd say she's ragin beneath it all.

Dzylan's P45 will be in the post :pac:

Were any of the ones she deleted ads/spons?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Dzylan's P45 will be in the post :pac:

Were any of the ones she deleted ads/spons?
    Is his name Dylan or Dzylan? I just saw her snap where she called him Dylan and he corrected her. Is that his actual name or is a Paul / George type thing?

wyrn wrote: »
    Is his name Dylan or Dzylan? I just saw her snap where she called him Dylan and he corrected her. Is that his actual name or is a Paul / George type thing?

It's Dylan, but I think the "Dzylan" thing came from Doireann Garrihy's blogger skits and slagging off (in a nice way!) Sue's accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Guys, back on track please, post on Photoshop etc aren't relevant to the thread.

Likewise talking about private conversations in FB groups. Warnings & infractions will be handed out if it keeps going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

I have heard there is now legal action being threatened... via FB messenger.... I thought it was great she was laughing along with it, but now it seems she wants no more talk of it.

Advertisement