Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloggers and #ad #spon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Oops, sorry, posted before I saw the warning above!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭heyjude88

So I see FBG is now using #iworkwith(insert annoyingpharmacy)
    When did this become a thing? Was it since they allowed penny’s to run with it?

I’ve seen Dunnes at it as well.

(Sorry but I won’t even give that pharmacy any more air time)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I don't know why brands still work with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

heyjude88 wrote: »
    So I see FBG is now using #iworkwith(insert annoyingpharmacy)
    When did this become a thing? Was it since they allowed penny’s to run with it?

I’ve seen Dunnes at it as well.

(Sorry but I won’t even give that pharmacy any more air time)
    I said this recently as well. It's not meant to replace #ad and #sp but can be used alongside them, however I have seen some snaps where it was used instead of #ad and #sp.

Makes no sense given that is longer, #ad and #sp would be quicker, more transparent though and not everyone (read: influencers / bloggers) want that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

Just jordan used #iworkwithcocobeautyspa the other day. Getting a bit out of hand really. Before they gave out because out that AD on every snap was too much effort. I think they use it now because it sounds a better than ad or spon. Easier to trick consumers into thinking they aren't being paid for a positive review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Did I not read a few pages back that penneys was allowed use #iworkwith instead of #ad? It's defo to not have to show there being paid! Funny cos it does take longer like striped boxers says and theybused complain about putting 2 letters in how this is easier il never know!!
    MUF now using #sp for kerrigans she is getting better at it! Credit where credit is due! Took long enough cos she had to have been getting money from them! I'm sure it would be cheaper get your meat in London rather then having it sent all the way from Dublin? I don't know the cost tho!?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Mod

Yet another thread has been dragged off topic. Anyone who posts again on this thread about moving to Reddit will be infracted. Take it to pm and stick to the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I see FBG clarified the difference between #ad, #sp and #IWorkWith yesterday.

The I work with hashtag is the blogger mentioning the brand without payment. They work with that brand but the #IWorkWith is just them reviewing it for themselves.

The #ad and #sp are the paid reviews.

TBH the #ad and #sp put me off because they're always going to say the product is great. They'd hardly say it's sh!ite and lose their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

The I work with hashtag is the blogger mentioning the brand without payment. They work with that brand but the #IWorkWith is just them reviewing it for themselves.

They work for payment with the brand you mean?

GingerLily wrote: »
    They work for payment with the brand you mean?

She said she doesn't receive payment for an #IWorkWith post.
    I presume they ask her to promote other products and include the #ad tag.

By using an #IWorkWith tag the business would probably be likely to pay for her to promote their products in future if she likes their brand.

• Advertisement

Unless I'm explicitly told otherwise I would assume #IWORKWITHXYZ means I get paid by XYZ, in one form or another.

It's no more honest then #ad #sp, if you trust the blogger then you can trust their review, but #iworkwith doesn't really make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Babyspice13

To be honest I only really trust a bloggers review when they buy the product themselves (there are one or two who give honest reviews of free stuff, but they’re few and far between)

Im probably going to get my head bitten off by the genuine bloggers but I’m sorry, the bigger bloggers have spoiled it for me :(

I ignore all #ad #sp #Iworkwith posts

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

They might not get paid for the #iworkwith "post" but they are getting paid somewhere by the brand. otherwise the #iwork bit wouldn't be in there. people work and get paid, thats how "work" works.

On gals who snap a girl who says she is a blogger and was at a blogger event was told #iworkwith is paid for! There is a post about it if you look!

idunno78 wrote: »
    On gals who snap a girl who says she is a blogger and was at a blogger event was told #iworkwith is paid for! There is a post about it if you look!

Of corse they are - otherwise they wouldn't declare it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Of course they're getting paid! If Grace told me the sky was blue I'd still go outside to check.

I would go so far as to say it's worse then #ad #sp because that influencer will have an ongoing bias for that brand/company as the payment is not a one task related thing.

What happens when that influencer is impressed by a rival company's product/ service? Definitely a conflict of interest there and they'll be pressured (explicitly or implicitly) to not give any favourable reviews of said product/service.

It all stinks if you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

#iworkwith is technically just #sp, but they are all trying to make it sound like they are brand ambassadors. But what makes me laugh is that when you try ask what #iworkwith entails, they all say they aren’t being paid, so which is it? So confusing.

The ASAI really need to make it clear. It’s #ad and #sp not any other derivative of it because everyone is getting confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ray37

Isn't #Iworkforblahblah the exact same, they are still paid! It literally makes zero sense to use a longer hashtag, they have still been paid like! What is the need to try to hide it all the time, everyone knows they get paid like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

Plus how does that explain bloggers using the term on a once off post about a company and no other posts about the company existing, not an ongoing relationship to be seen. Also didn’t Penney’s organize with ASAI that they could use it instead of ad/sp?

Seems to be all over the place, bloggers making up their own rules it seems, as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

It doesn’t bother me that they are paid for #ad #spon #iworkwith whatever. What bothers me is that they make out as if they went out of their way to buy certain items from certain brands, instead of just owning up to the fact that they were paid/given freebies as part of a deal with said brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

There is no way grace is not being paid to talk about bperfect 24/7 .. shame on bperfect for not ensuring the correct # is used .. I expect nothing from grace but dishonesty and lazy content these days

She uses ad for some of b perfect chuffed and not others. I noticed it at the event last week!

Im probably going to get my head bitten off by the genuine bloggers but I’m sorry, the bigger bloggers have spoiled it for me :(

I'm 100% with you on this.

The only bloggers I trust are The Beautiful Truth, Live Lavishly and Tnxhunpenneys. No one else and if they have any #ad or #sp posts I tend to skip through them tbh.

I will rarely watch any #sp or #ad and never ever buy anything that is recommended where #sp or #ad is used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

The only bloggers I trust are The Beautiful Truth, Live Lavishly and Tnxhunpenneys. No one else and if they have any #ad or #sp posts I tend to skip through them tbh.

I will rarely watch any #sp or #ad and never ever buy anything that is recommended where #sp or #ad is used.

Same, tap tap tap. No matter how much a blogger glows about a product, i aint buying it.
    Ironic that majority of the bloggers have never once said they dont like a product they were sent (very few would, beautiful truth, lauras views are a couple i can name off hand). They are so afraid of not getting sponsored or sent free stuff.
    Honest to god, I couldnt sleep at night if I was some of them. There is young women (and probably old too), influenced by all these reviews and going out spending their hard earned cash on them, all the while the blogger hasnt even given an honest review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

TBH the #ad and #sp put me off because they're always going to say the product is great. They'd hardly say it's sh!ite and lose their business.
    Gosh I'm all confused now!

I recall Emer from Penneys to Prada saying some time ago that Penneys/Primark had gotten clearance from ASAI to use #iworkwith... instead of #ad. So that's the opposite of what Grace has apparently said (I don't follow Grace)

Once other influencers and brands seen these getting away with using #iworkwith instead of #ad - they all jumped on the bandwagon and just muddied the already murky waters of paid disclosures.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Gosh I'm all confused now!
    I recall Emer from Penneys to Prada saying some time ago that Penneys/Primark had gotten clearance from ASAI to use #iworkwith... instead of #ad. So that's the opposite of what Grace has apparently said (I don't follow Grace)

Once other influencers and brands seen these getting away with using #iworkwith instead of #ad - they all jumped on the bandwagon and just muddied the already murky waters of paid disclosures.

I'm confused now myself. It made sense when she said it but she either doesn't understand it herself or is deliberately misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Keepingitreal

I post about penneys etc all the time and I don't use #iworkwith because I am no way affiliated to them. "I work with" says it all. I mean who works for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

So the #iworkwith means they're not getting paid but get to keep all the clothes they've picked out which would be €300? Wouldnt that be classed as a kinda payment? It's very confusing.

• Advertisement

Lead wrote: »
    So the #iworkwith means they're not getting paid but get to keep all the clothes they've picked out which would be €300? Wouldnt that be classed as a kinda payment? It's very confusing.

Payment-in-kind counts as payment

But I don’t think it does. It’s only cash payments that count.

So if they get the use of a car for a year, or get clothes vouchers, or if an MUA gets makeup to stock up their work kits or they get trips away, or they get their hair extensions done for free or they get their nails done or they get meal packs for a week or or or or........it doesn’t count.

Makes perfect sense....not!!

If I had all those things given to me for free, I’d have a hell of a lot more disposable income. Therefore IMO they should be #ad

But I don’t think it does. It’s only cash payments that count.

So if they get the use of a car for a year, or get clothes vouchers, or if an MUA gets makeup to stock up their work kits or they get trips away, or they get their hair extensions done for free or they get their nails done or they get meal packs for a week or or or or........it doesn’t count.

Makes perfect sense....not!!

If I had all those things given to me for free, I’d have a hell of a lot more disposable income. Therefore IMO they should be #ad

Payment is kind is taxable, you have to declare it revenue, and counts as payment for the purpose of advertising.

Things can be gifted or given for review, that isn't counted as payment in kind.

If a gift card is given and there is no contract or agreement to promote the business then this is a gift and not payment in kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

According to the ASAI an ad only has to be declared if the individual received cash payment for it. #sp or #ad doesn't need to be used if free goods or services have been received.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Keepingitreal

Payment is kind is taxable, you have to declare it revenue, and counts as payment for the purpose of advertising.

Things can be gifted or given for review, that isn't counted as payment in kind.

If a gift card is given and there is no contract or agreement to promote the business then this is a gift and not payment in kind.

You hit the nail on the head! In the most simple of terms, If you receive a package of goodies that is what they are; regardless who they are from. However if you get a package of goodies with a note saying that these goodies were sent on the basis of giving a good review or any type of review...now that is a different story.

For example, I am often send mails saying we would love to send you "insert product here". If you would like to receive this said product, you are expected to write a blog post blah blah and blah. This is a perfect example of not being "paid" directly yet the outcome being that you have official completed a business transaction by agreeing to the terms.

I personally never agree to the above because I am not going to promise to do anything on my blog or social media. If it goes up there it is because I love or dislike it.

In a nutshell you may never know if a product was sent or bought etc. unless the person mentions it. You need to just follow those who trust and respect.

I read that all marketing communications need to be declared #ad.
    "Iworkwith" is a marketing communication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

The ASAI really need to give out clear distinctions between all the separate hashtags imo.

I also think that if a blogger/influencer is sent something, there should be a designated hashtag like #gifted so as the viewer, we know which is which and there is no confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Can you imagine if the sponsored posts on thejournal or Irish Times etc.. had #iworkwith instead of #sponsored - at least the news articles make it very clear that it's a sponsored advertisement

To be honest I only really trust a bloggers review when they buy the product themselves (there are one or two who give honest reviews of free stuff, but they’re few and far between)

Both these posts were on Live Lavishly's Snapchat yesterday :D (in a good way). Someone sent her a pic of or link to the posts and Carly said she loves getting sent this like this.

Hi Carly :D (if you're reading).

Love her!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

Both these posts were on Live Lavishly's Snapchat yesterday :D (in a good way). Someone sent her a pic of or link to the posts and Carly said she loves getting sent this like this.

Hi Carly :D (if you're reading).

Love her!

Do u have her snap handle please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

MUF is selling a white Michael Kors bag on depop for “half price”. 299 isn’t half of 499 but anyway.
    I don’t recall those bags ever being 499. I don’t have the hamilton one but I have 5 other MK bags and none cost more than 350.

• Advertisement

299 sounds like standard pricing for MK, hardly half price!

Mzo1978 wrote: »

It’s livelavishlycom

MUF is selling a white Michael Kors bag on depop for “half price”. 299 isn’t half of 499 but anyway.
    I don’t recall those bags ever being 499. I don’t have the hamilton one but I have 5 other MK bags and none cost more than 350.

Some are near the 500e mark, not for the classic totes and shoppers though.
    BTs had a 30% off Michael Kors last Black Friday.

It's not a brand that would have thought had a high resale value for secondhand bags.

Mzo1978 wrote: »
    It’s livelavishlycom
    Yup this is it.

Carly posted that snap on Friday so it will be gone now.

Muf bag was not 500e and even if it was 299 is hardly half price

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Those hamilton bags are about €350. Who is she kidding saying it was €499! I'd love to see the receipt for that. I know Harrods charge around €25-30 for delivery to Ireland, maybe she's adding that into the original price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Polite reminder to stay on track, folks. This thread is for discussion of the hashtags. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The White Moose Cafe just uploaded a brilliant video with Jen Hatton talking about #ad, white label rubbish, buying followers etc. Very good if anyone wants to have a watch!

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    The White Moose Cafe just uploaded a brilliant video with Jen Hatton talking about #ad, white label rubbish, buying followers etc. Very good if anyone wants to have a watch!

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!! Hitting the nail on the head.

Nail on the head right there a mix of Rosie conn and faces by grace there

• Advertisement
Advertisement