Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't even need bodyglide

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

10km run today after leaving work a little early. Extremely warm out there. 8k of the run was on grass. There feels like a little knot in my right calf muscle which I picked up on Sunday long run.

I'm not too worried about it though because I probably won't run again until Sunday. Gives me a chance to get some bike miles in and ease off before Carrick on Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good luck at the weekend, I ran in I guess a Tri/ adventure race, well we kayaked rather than swam LOL about 2 weeks ago and loved it, next one is in August then our next on is September

I love GCN on youtube, find them great I am new to cycling, well this type of cycling you will defiantly need the good shorts I got some decent ones in Halford and Aldi a few weeks back.

Foam roll that calf of yours so it is right for the weekend

Baby75 wrote: »
    Good luck at the weekend, I ran in I guess a Tri/ adventure race, well we kayaked rather than swam LOL about 2 weeks ago and loved it, next one is in August then our next on is September

I love GCN on youtube, find them great I am new to cycling, well this type of cycling you will defiantly need the good shorts I got some decent ones in Halford and Aldi a few weeks back.

Foam roll that calf of yours so it is right for the weekend

Ah ok, so you are fairly new to this too?

The adventure races are tough going I'd say but sound like great fun. Best of luck with training for the next 2. Do you keep a log?

I guess as I'm increasing my distances on the bike, it's becoming more apparent that you need proper gear. Not only shorts but a bottle cage, saddle bag with spare tube, tools etc, jerseys with pockets. Thank god for Lidl and Aldi.

The GCN shorts were a bit more expensive alright but hopefully that will pay off with time in the saddle.

I foam rolled yesterday but it's definitely something I need to remind / force myself to do, or I tend to just leave it out of my routine.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Yep a total newbie LOL adventure racing I think it's very easy to get hooked, Nope no log yet I am thinking about it :)

yep, you need a good bit of gear all right and for events, you are nearly better having two bottle cages on the bike one for water and one for a sports drink with carbs or electrolytes or both in it:)

I say the shorts will be worth the extra cost, your bum will thank you for it ;)

Yeah might get myself the second bottle cage. Looks like my full GCN gear is lost in transit somewhere. I'm sure it'lol be sorted.

1200 mtr swim today. Good felt strong enough. Not going crazy this week just relax before Sunday. Hopefully get out for a spin tomorrow or Friday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

When is Moby Dick B?

I was going to say you should come up to the Pulse race in Clogherhead but it's my birthday that day so unlikely I'll be marshalling!

When is Moby Dick B?

I was going to say you should come up to the Pulse race in Clogherhead but it's my birthday that day so unlikely I'll be marshalling!

Moby Dick is in Cork on 30th September. It will be my last chance to get one in this year. Calendar fairly full now. Looks like the Pulse one is 9th Sep but I'm heading to Newcastle for Great North Run that day.

So after Sunday, and possibly a club tri August Bank holiday, I'll be fully concentrated on running.

Then when I get back, only two weeks to Ben5k so that will be all go. So will use Moby Dick as a complete de-stresser

30km cycle after work, arms a little sore, bike fit may not be perfect. Wore the new GCN kit, actually quite comfortable.

Didn't notice and really dodgy looks. Not as thin as the GCN guys, look a bit lumpier in the gear

1200 mtrs in pool, very nice swim at lunch time

Rest day Saturday

Sunday - Carrick on Suir Sprint Tri 1:23:55

Had the car all packed up the night before. Was running through checklists constantly in my head as you do. Headed off at 8:15, I was a bit nervous I have to admit.

Stopped in mooncoin for some drinks and met a club mate in Supervalue car park, where we patched up his wet suit with some Black Witch.

First outing with club, there were 21 of us there which was really cool. One lady even drove up and looked after our bags because the weather didn't look great.

Loads of time to get ready, then headed down to river entry point. I was really nervous now. But as soon as I hit the water and realised it wasn't cold, all nerves dissipated. Some people were really nervous and I think I helped put one person at least at ease.

Swim was good 13:55 I think. Lots of river plants and stuff but a could clear line to the finish with no one really hitting me or vice versa.

Transition was 3:00, needs work.

Lovely bike course, perfect surface, though wet due to some heavy showers. 41:53.

0:50 T2 - I use runners and toe clips :)

Really flat run then along river bank, out and back 24:00

Saw time on clock and was really disappointed but forgot that I was in wave 2 which started 10 mins later - happy days

• Advertisement

Monday - 1200 mtr swim, very tired

Tuesday - 12 km run, was grand running but extremely tired afterwards

Somewhere between 80 & 90 k on bike with local group, terrific, plenty of great advice. Bit tired now.

10k at lunch time, good run

Different day, fantastic day. A club member had the idea to do the Park Run in New Ross followed by swim in Baginbun, the entry point for the Tri The Hook triathlon in Wexford.

Left home at 8:30 for New Ross Park Run, arrived at 9:10. People misread the WhatsApp message and went to Wexford Town Parkrun. So just myself and this other guy and some New Ross people who are the friendliest people in the world.

Bit out of it this morning, an impromptu day but I was up for anything.

Run was poor comparatively, 22:54, but off the back of 3:30hrs spin and 10k training run. New Ross also a lot tougher than Johnstown Castle, all hills.

So we headed for Baginbun where we met the others who got their Park runs mixed up. We swam 800 metres sea swim and came back to shore, then another member came and we went out for another 1000 metres. I swam quite well. Conor who I met in Park Run was in a kayak, encouraging, guiding us and keeping us safe. He knew the distances too. Fair play to him, amazing.

Then myself and the two others had coffee for 2 hours in the sunshine in Fethard, laughed about the big novice heads on us and had a lovely time. What a day, I'm high as a kite :)

6th August - rest day

7th August - mock tri in Carne 1:28

8th August - rest day

9th August - run in local hurling field

10th August - 1:30 cycle to Carne from Wexford town and back in morning

Trail run in local mountain (hill) 1hr 10mins

Friday 11th August - 1200 mtr pool swim

Saturday - rest (badly hungover day)

Sunday - 1:45 lsr

Monday - 1200 mtr pool swim

Tuesday - couch 25k training with women in work, followed by quick sprint back to office for 2:15 meeting

25th August, its been while since I updated.

Was on holidays since the Saturday 19th August. Haven't got up to much since then. One fairly long intense run in Co. Clare 1:37 mins around 9 mins per mile - almost 11 miles.

Also did a bit of a cycle tour of the Burren but that wasn't too tasking.

What happened before that though is a little mystery which is the reason why I started this blog so that I wouldn't forget.

Thursday 17th - 2 hour cycle

Friday 18th - 45 minutes tempo run

It hasn't been a great fortnights training in fairness. So no better time to another tri then

Try the hook tomorrow - looking forward to it, early start, not expecting much, up about 2 - 3 pounds on the scales since holidays started.

Wow 3 weeks since I updated.

Tri the hook was ok, had a back spasm off bike so run was a disaster 1:43

Recovered well enough did some wonderful things including a 2km swim in Rosslare

Half marathon in Newcastle ( great North run) 1:47

Wanted to break 1:45 and not making excuses but we were on our feet for 4 hours before race began.

Now I want to log everything I'm doing again because I've signed up for a half distance in Loch Cutra.

8 k jog today, very enjoyable, measured a course for a race I'm organising next Sunday, and then some more

Finished season off with Moby Dick in Youghal, tough swim 1:34 overall

Training for Loch Cutra starts in earnest this week, starting out with a few 10 hour weeks hopefully:

Monday - 1200 mtr in pool - 30 minutes
    Tuesday - 3 hours on bicycle
    Wednesday - 1 hour run

Planned

Thursday - 1500 swim
    Friday - 1 hour run
    Saturday - 3 hour spin
    Sunday - 1.5 hour run

Total time - 10.5 hours

Plan for this week:

Tuesday 1500 mtr swim 40 mins