Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed base?

Options
  • 20-06-2017 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I bought a 10x 6 shed and will be delivered over the next 10 days. I'm plannig to have concrete blocks as a base as I am renting and might need to move it in the future. Any idea how many would I need? I was thinking around 12, would that be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

The more the better. Make sure they are level and in line (so that each one takes a portion of the weight).
    I'd have thought 6 or 8 would be enough (assuming you are just going to rest it on a solid block on the flat)

tomaso11 wrote: »
    I bought a 10x 6 shed and will be delivered over the next 10 days. I'm plannig to have concrete blocks as a base as I am renting and might need to move it in the future. Any idea how many would I need? I was thinking around 12, would that be enough?

10 standard 4 inch blocks per square metre is the shed measurements in feet. Between 5 an 6 sq metres roughly

Oh sorry maybe you mean just around the edge. I thought you would be covering the whole area. A block on flat is 450mm long

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tomaso11

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    The more the better. Make sure they are level and in line (so that each one takes a portion of the weight).
    I'd have thought 6 or 8 would be enough (assuming you are just going to rest it on a solid block on the flat)

Well, it's not a solid block on the flat as such. It's fully flat but it's grass, my idea is to place the blocks and make sure they're level before the shed comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tomaso11

Oh sorry maybe you mean just around the edge. I thought you would be covering the whole area. A block on flat is 450mm long

yes, I meant something like 9 around the edges plus a few in the middle if needed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

tomaso11 wrote: »
    Well, it's not a solid block on the flat as such. It's fully flat but it's grass, my idea is to place the blocks and make sure they're level before the shed comes in.

I'd dig out the grass just bigger than a block and then spot bed one block so its at ground level with a dry concrete mix then add a single block not mortared in place just sitting on the one below for the shed base to sit on.

When you get the shed you will see how the base/floor section(s) are made up and can work out how many pads you need to sit it on. I've put up a few sheds and you need to see how the base is made or your blocks could be in completely the wrong places except for the corner ones.

10 x 6 will probably come with the base in two sections (two 5 x 6) so I'd use 9 blocks 3,3,3 or 15 blocks 3,3,3,3,3 as pads for a base.

A little bit of plastic DPC material on the top of each pad can help stop moisture wicking up into the wood but not essential.

Just placed on the grass the blocks will sink over time and they rarely sink at the same rate.

Advertisement