Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options
  • 20-06-2017 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭

PPV for everyone apart from Boxnation subscribers. Former subscribers now getting Boxnation on BT will have to buy this fight.

http://www.boxnation.com/canelo-ggg/

Billy Joe Saunders embarrassing himself as usual at the press conference yesterday, GGG and Canelo were looking at him wondering who he is!

I am very confident Canelo beats GGG on points.

Who wins 200 votes

GGG Points
    0%
    GGG KO
    19%
    TCP/IPbig sykeMr.Nice Guyctrl-alt-deletetanka006twilight_singerFrank BullittNabyLadisthemanChieftainmcgoochD.Qthfcemquagmire47clubwellyprettyboy81chuky_r_lawblade1jack presleydinorebeldegzs 39 votes
    Canelo Points
    50%
    weemcdBrian?Roddy23Inquitusdeisedevilyabadabadosham69Mellorgilmourbuck65SK1979GonzovisionwrithenbeerpongDeedsieuptherebelsLuckycharms_74keane2097messinkiapinagerrybbadd 100 votes
    Canelo KO
    21%
    Big Earswalshbciaran76[Deleted User]megadodgeBatesynacho libreunknownlegendJohnerRushdenpistolpetes11ciantheodDantedeisechap09horsebox09UndergroundyourdeadwrightRichard teaomeatheopianMuzi5434 43 votes
    Draw
    9%
    Dempseythe whole year innmoneymadDuck Soupxtal191stoogecallaway92Crash Bang WalliseethelightOutlaw Petehawaii501lmaoSenor FrogThegalwaymanbyrneg28FaugheenSchwanzOnDraught 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Didnt know the height difference would be so big . GGG was towering over him yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭grimeire

I would definitely be leaning towards GGG over canelo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    I'd really like to see Canelo winning this. He's getting more impressive as a boxer with every fight, the difference between him now and the young pup who fought Mayweather is astounding. I think Golovkin's open come forward style could suit his combination/counter punch style.

I've never been too impressed by Golovkin although he's undoubtedly a fine fighter. He didn't look particularly great against Jacobs and Kell Brook had a decent amount of joy too early on. The rest of his wins are against a lot of so so fighters. Canelo would appear to be near prime if not in it right now while at 35 you'd assume Golovkin is past his best days. I'd give Canelo every chance of winning, but like Ward/Kovalev the freak power puncher has every chance.

Going to be a cracking fight though, two lads not afraid to throw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    Burial. wrote: »
    Going to be a cracking fight though, two lads not afraid to throw.

Give it a couple of rounds and Canelo will be. I can't see past a GGG KO here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Canelo Points
    Huge credit to GGG if he gets Canelo out of there as it is a near prime Canelo we are talking about. Should be a cracking fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    Looks like BJS is fighting LeMieux the same night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    Morrison J wrote: »

What is it about Canelo that makes you think he's the type of boxer that will suffer an early KO loss?

Canelo KO
    Canelo showed he might be a little shaky chin wise in an old fight of his but if Danny Jacobs can survive Golovkin then Canelo can too.

Canelo KO
    Canelo will definitely have to go down the box and move approach I feel, something he's getting a more proficient in. Golovkin seems to have a chin like a concrete block, but he's easily hit and doesn't seem to mind that anyway. If Canelo can fire combinations and get out which he seems to be able to do then he could have joy. Doing that on the backfoot for 12 against a mule like Golovkin is tough going though, especially when Canelo isn't a stamina machine although moving up in weight has helped a bunch. Fascinating fight, respect to both. It does seem recent match-ups between 1s and 2s of the divisions has given inspiration for everyone to show their worth. Cherry picking is becoming a lot less common. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    I am really starting to edge towards Canelo now. His blend of punching and chin and underrated defense may surprise us all. He gets punches off smoother than GGG. It could be a case for as many rds as it goes where Canelo is starting and finishing the exchanges more successfully. Using constant subtle movement to never allow GGG get set to unleash his best.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    Where Canelo needs to work on up to this fight is his body. I have a feeling that GGG head shots won't beat Canelo, but if GGG can dig in hard and clean to Canelo's body he could really do damage. So, Canelo using his upper body to protect it and using his feet to constantly be a moving target is his key. Those wide hard hooks off both wings around Canelo's sides is where Canelo needs to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Canelo KO
    Anyone thinking of going?

Canelo KO
    pac_man wrote: »
    I agree with the bodywork.He just smiles at you like a freak when he gets hit on the head and he's been in with bigger punchers than Canelo. Thought there was a couple of glimpses of vulnerability in the Jacobs fight, that he didn't like getting hit to the body.

I think you misinterpreted me. I meant that Canelo needs to work on his own body in the sense of protecting himself. GGG being given time and space to dig hard to Canelo's body could be his best area to win the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Canelo Points
    Do you think BT/BoxNation will offer this to the regular cable customer? Eddie Hearn's most recent interview with iFL tv is interesting as usual. He reckons it'll do between 100,000 and 150,000 buys in the UK.

Canelo KO
    I did misinterpret it. Both fighters best areas for hurtful punches is to the body. Both seem to have a good ability in taking a punch Can't recall him ever been hurt or wobbled? Mayweather had him on the ropes at one stage but it was more of a case of Canelo being tired.

I'd agree that both fighters likely to be more hurt to the body. I think Canelo even more so because GGG for me digs harder to the body, as well as having a harder dig.

Canelo Points
    megadodge wrote: »

What is it about Canelo that makes you think he's the type of boxer that will suffer an early KO loss?
    My main reason would be his feet. He moves like he's underwater. GGG is tremendous at cutting the ring off and will constantly be on top of him. I'm not expecting a clean KO, more likely a stoppage with Canelo against the ropes taking a beating. Not saying it'll be early. Probably mid to late with Canelo taking a lot of punishment from the opening bell. This is a horrendous matchup for him.

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »
    I think you misinterpreted me. I meant that Canelo needs to work on his own body in the sense of protecting himself. GGG being given time and space to dig hard to Canelo's body could be his best area to win the fight.

I did misinterpret it. Both fighters best areas for hurtful punches is to the body. Both seem to have a good ability in taking a punch Can't recall him ever been hurt or wobbled? Mayweather had him on the ropes at one stage but it was more of a case of Canelo being tired.
    Jose Miguel Cotto had Canelo wobbled big time.

Canelo Points
    https://gfycat.com/FairDisfiguredAntipodesgreenparakeet
    GGG can take a shot to the kisser anyway. I haven't seen Alvarez hurt in a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Tickets on sale tomorrow afternoon here. Cheapest ticket is $300 plus taxes which is the same as the airfare to Vegas!

Gonna try and get 2 anyway.

GGG favourite and rightly so. More experienced, bigger, better stamina and used to this weight. His last fight was against a decent opponent while Canelo's was against a joke.

Still though never seen Canelo live so looking forward to this and GGG saying it could be his last fight although who really believes that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Canelo Points
    I was watching GGG & Canelo on ESPN 1st take & am somewhat surprised that Canelo does not speak English. Is he capable and just not comfortable on camera or is it something he has not bothered with.

I know this is a somewhat ridiculous slight against a fighter but you would think it would be something that Oscar would want him do in an effort to build his profile/marketability even more. Oscar ended up translating for Canelo but I got the feeling that we were only getting a tiny bit of the message.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    Canelo always appeared rather mysterious to me. Obviously the language barrier is one but he just comes across as a bit of a robot.

Canelo KO
    HigginsJ wrote: »
    I was watching GGG & Canelo on ESPN 1st take & am somewhat surprised that Canelo does not speak English. Is he capable and just not comfortable on camera or is it something he has not bothered with.

I know this is a somewhat ridiculous slight against a fighter but you would think it would be something that Oscar would want him do in an effort to build his profile/marketability even more. Oscar ended up translating for Canelo but I got the feeling that we were only getting a tiny bit of the message.

Don't say that here....you will be swamped with examples of other greats who never spoke English.

I agree, 21st bloody century, speak the language of the world!

Canelo KO
    Jose Miguel Cotto had Canelo wobbled big time.

I watched parts of that fight so maybe I missed this?

Can you elaborate on the rd(s) maybe so that I can take a look...

Save me sitting through the whole fight.

Canelo KO
    1st round.

Had forgotten about that...

I immediately thought of Miguel Cotto.

In fairness the shot was a peach and Canelo was high in the air slightly leaning back. He could only be staggered/wobbled from it. His recovery was excellent.

Alvarez was a pup then....

Canelo Points
    I watched parts of that fight so maybe I missed this?

Can you elaborate on the rd(s) maybe so that I can take a look...

Save me sitting through the whole fight.
    1st round.

He really was wobbled but did recover pretty well. Genuine question, how relevant is it that Canelo would be wobbled with a clean shot 7 years ago? I'm not a boxer so can you improve your punch resistance or is it what it is? Obviously you can improve your defense.

Canelo Points

I immediately thought of Miguel Cotto.

I just went and watched the 1st round of the Miguel Cotto fight, was thinking pac_man's definition of being wobbled was vastly different to mine as there was nothing in it. Luckily I cottoned on before posting, just..... :o

Canelo Points
    He really was wobbled but did recover pretty well. Genuine question, how relevant is it that Canelo would be wobbled with a clean shot 7 years ago? I'm not a boxer so can you improve your punch resistance or is it what it is? Obviously you can improve your defense.
    It's not relevant. Steven 'Breadman' Edwards posted a really good reply to your last question a few weeks ago on BoxingScene. I'll try to find it.

Canelo Points
    hbhook wrote: »
    It's not relevant. Steven 'Breadman' Edwards posted a really good reply to your last question a few weeks ago on BoxingScene. I'll try to find it.
    http://www.boxingscene.com/daily-bread-mailbag-pacquiao-khan-broner-ward-spence-brook--113959
    second question/reply

Canelo Points
    hbhook wrote: »

That was a really good piece, thanks for putting that up.

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    That was a really good piece, thanks for putting that up.
    Aye. I only just copped recently that he trains Julian Williams. Don't know who else.

Advertisement