Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I have no doubt he will make 160. I just worry a little that he is having to work a little more than usual to make it, I don't think he has ever really had to 'cut' before unlike Canelo.

Do you have any idea how much he cut in previous fights and how much he's cutting for this one?

Can GGG walk through Canelos shots, if he feels Canelos power early and doesn't get hurt by it, I think it's a long night for Canelo. If GGG gets hit and gives it respect is when it gets interesting to me. Have never seen him on the back foot. What a fight I can't wait!

I get boxnation for free because I'm a bt customer, so do I get this fight for free or will I have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    megadodge wrote: »
    Power - GGG. But you constantly mention Canelo's "average" power, which is clearly wrong.

How is it clearly wrong? I'm talking in terms of middleweights. Jacobs, GGG and even Lemieux knock out the corpse of Chavez or at least put a dent in Cotto. His power is very overrated. Looks good against Amir Khan though.
    Ring IQ - Really cannot see why GGG's is supposed to be superior. Not being able to outbox Floyd Mayweather shouldn't be used as a stick to beat the Mexican with, which I suspect it is but you'll deny it.

Because GGG has shown ability to adjust and fight in different styles. Can fight on back foot and front foot, can change it up mid fight. Canelo is far more one dimensional. What you see is what you get pretty much.
    Chin - Equal. I've never seen Canelo in any sort of trouble. But wait for it, somebody will misremember Cotto's brother yadda, yadda....
    Ah come on. Whose chin do you have more confidence in? Be honest. GGG's chin is way more proven. We haven't seen Canelo hit by a big puncher yet. GGG's chin is clearly the one you'd be more comfortable with. No question marks over it whatsoever.
    If you check back on the Broner/Garcia prediction thread here, I believe every single poster bar one picked Garcia.
    Correct but in the lead up there was people doubting themselves. Plenty saying it would be a close fight. Literally talking themselves into the idea that Broner was going to be this reformed fighter and that Garcia wasn't as good as the hype. Fight went nearly exactly as logic would direct it. Garcia levels above.
    And finally, I wish you'd stop constantly mentioning Amir Khan and Liam Smith as if they're supposed to be the very best opponents Canelo has ever fought and he's making this huge jump in class for the first time. It's like me guaranteeing you if Golovkin takes punches from Canelo as flush as the one Daniel Geale caught him with he won't be KOing him in the same instance. Neither have any relevance to this fight.
    They are the most recent opponents he has fought and coincided with the swing in opinion with people giving Canelo a good chance all of a sudden. They are extremely relevant fights to the discussion to be fair.

When I'm talking about the jump I'm talking about it weight wise. He's never felt physicality or power anywhere near Golovkin. It's a huge variable going into the fight. We don't know how Canelo is going to react to it. Don't know how you could have a problem with that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    Do you have any idea how much he cut in previous fights and how much he's cutting for this one?

For previous fights he never weighed more than 165 at 30 day check weights. Even Kell Brook weighed more than him at 30 days out!
    This time he was 170+

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Take a day off

Ehh, good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

GGG KO

Can GGG walk through Canelos shots, if he feels Canelos power early and doesn't get hurt by it, I think it's a long night for Canelo. If GGG gets hit and gives it respect is when it gets interesting to me. Have never seen him on the back foot. What a fight I can't wait!

I get boxnation for free because I'm a bt customer, so do I get this fight for free or will I have to pay?

I think you'll have to pay for it unfortunately. I saw somewhere that if you get it as part of your BT package then you have to buy the fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    To get it free you need to be a Boxnation subscriber. If not then you pay for it. Having it as part of BT package does not get it free.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Canelo Points
    I can also confirm that if you have VM without a sports package it can't be ordered as a one-off.

They made some balls of that. I cant get it because I don't have any tv sub.

At least with sky's PPV you can buy online and cast to tv

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Canelo Points
    They made some balls of that. I cant get it because I don't have any tv sub.

At least with sky's PPV you can buy online and cast to tv

Can't you subscribe to the monthly boxnation package and get it that way.Just cancel the package next day.
    I think it's €12+£8 install fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

You can order it on Boxnation 's website to stream as well as far as I can make out it costs around €16 plus you'll get the Saunders v Monroe fight earlier in the night as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

Canelo Points
    Mr.Ed wrote: »
    You can order it on Boxnation 's website to stream as well as far as I can make out it costs around €16 plus you'll get the Saunders v Monroe fight earlier in the night as well

Can confirm this. UK£16.95.

Nice one lads, sound! I couldn't find anything about streaming it. Need to up my googling skills

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

Canelo Points
    Nice one lads, sound! I couldn't find anything about streaming it. Need to up my googling skills

It's about half way down this page:
    http://www.boxnation.com/canelo-ggg/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    pac_man wrote: »
    That kinda surprised me. That to me, is the biggest issue in this fight. Well I guess you could correlate it with stamina and the fact that your footwork deteriorates the later on in the fight as your more tired but I've never know Canelo to be light on his feet even in the early stages of a fight.

He might be at his best when people are coming onto him, he slips shots, blocks and counters very well but is that the right approach against someone that is heavy handed and punches through the guard?

I'm open to correction but I feel people that are picking Canelo are picking him on the basis that he boxes and moves for 12 rounds or maybe uses his speed to slip a few jabs and counter left hook to the body?

Canelo has shown in the past that he can box and move for 12 rounds with the likes of Lara and a under-rated win against Austin Trout. The issue I have is that in them fights the tempo is slow.

We've seen in the past that when he is in with pressure fighters or when the tempo of the fight is quicker, that he take breaks within the rounds which results in his tendency to get drawn into a fight. I think getting drawn into a fight with Golovkin would a be a recipe for disaster.

I would be very suprised if anybody who has watched Canelo box would be expecting him to box and move. He has never boxed and moved in his life and he won't be doing it in this fight either.

In the Lara fight he was chasing all night as the Cuban simply ran away from him and Canelo won it by default because there were rounds you just couldn't give Lara simply because he was so bloody negative. But I don't regard that as 'boxing and moving'. That's trying to corner a very flighty opponent and Canelo wasn't particularly good at it, although Lara is exceptionally fast on his feet.

The Trout win was a very good win in my opinion and while I can understand some giving the Lara fight to the Cuban, I don't see how Trout could be given their fight. However, I don't recall Canelo doing a whole lot of moving either. He showed very good head and upper body movement, but boxing and moving?

Canelo will most likely stand his ground and look to counter. That's it really. I don't think for a second he'll try to push Golovkin back, as some in the media are suggesting, but I can't see him moving a whole lot, simply because he never has and I don't think he'd be very good at it if he tried.

The interesting thing for me will be when Canelo throws his excellent jab counters. How will Golovkin react to that? I believe Canelo will negate GGG's jab and that makes closing the distance a hell of a lot harder.

My big issue is, as you said, the pace I expect GGG to force the fight at. Can Canelo last at that pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    Morrison J wrote: »
    How is it clearly wrong? I'm talking in terms of middleweights. Jacobs, GGG and even Lemieux knock out the corpse of Chavez or at least put a dent in Cotto. His power is very overrated. Looks good against Amir Khan though.

Because GGG has shown ability to adjust and fight in different styles. Can fight on back foot and front foot, can change it up mid fight. Canelo is far more one dimensional. What you see is what you get pretty much.

Ah come on. Whose chin do you have more confidence in? Be honest. GGG's chin is way more proven. We haven't seen Canelo hit by a big puncher yet. GGG's chin is clearly the one you'd be more comfortable with. No question marks over it whatsoever.

Correct but in the lead up there was people doubting themselves. Plenty saying it would be a close fight. Literally talking themselves into the idea that Broner was going to be this reformed fighter and that Garcia wasn't as good as the hype. Fight went nearly exactly as logic would direct it. Garcia levels above.

They are the most recent opponents he has fought and coincided with the swing in opinion with people giving Canelo a good chance all of a sudden. They are extremely relevant fights to the discussion to be fair.

When I'm talking about the jump I'm talking about it weight wise. He's never felt physicality or power anywhere near Golovkin. It's a huge variable going into the fight. We don't know how Canelo is going to react to it. Don't know how you could have a problem with that point of view.

I'm sorry if this looks like an insult, it isn't intended to be. Seriously.

But... genuinely, you remind me of the bad poker player who just sees his own good hand and never stops to consider what his opponent has.

And Golovkin ain't no Royal Flush.

Canelo KO
    Canelo will move, but not in an obvious "getting away" fashion.

He will win this via mid to close range offence and defense. For me his superior pocket offence could be a key to victory. He is a better inside fighter.

There will be a lot of slipping and parrying from Canelo. Good upper body movement.

GGG may well be on Canelo's chest a lot more than people, or he expects, and it could be his downfall. Not getting his shots in clean and with leverage, and being beaten on the inside and when Canelo exits the exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    Although I hate the love of idolisation of power in Boxing, it probably will determine the outcome of this fight. If Canelo can take Golovkin's power well then it's probably a handy win for him boxing smartly for 12. If he can't, he's toast. If Golovkin is completely unfazed by Canelo's power then he'll simply walk him down and inflict a brutal beating. If Golovkin is somewhat effected by Canelo's power and Canelo can handle his power to some extent in return we're in for one of the most interesting fights in many years.

Still couldn't call this fight confidently with gun to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    Off topic but the Cologne keeper is the image of Canelo
    Timo+Horn+TNew1YoKVUim.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I was expecting a dog-fight from Canelo-Chavez and am expecting similar here so I really hope we're not in for a repeat of that fight. I fail to see how GGG will be as timid as Chavez was so we should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    If the blueprint is to have GGG walk through all your punches till he breaks your face aye..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Canelo Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    If the blueprint is to have GGG walk through all your punches till he breaks your face aye..

https://twitter.com/WorldBoxingNews/status/908579887765696512
    The link isn't working but it's the Brook interview:eek:
    GGG must have done more than break his face ,some blueprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I was expecting a dog-fight from Canelo-Chavez and am expecting similar here so I really hope we're not in for a repeat of that fight. I fail to see how GGG will be as timid as Chavez was so we should be ok.

Yeah he will be cutting off the ring and walking him down which should make for a great fight . GGG has fantastic long looping shots that get beyond a high guard . Canelos best form of defence is attack . He will have to be clever though be patient and look to counter when GGG gets sloppy .

I cant see anything other than a great fight but i've said the same a few times before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Canelo KO
    walshb wrote: »

He will win this via mid to close range offence and defense. For me his superior pocket offence could be a key to victory. He is a better inside fighter.

There will be a lot of slipping and parrying from Canelo. Good upper body movement.

GGG may well be on Canelo's chest a lot more than people, or he expects, and it could be his downfall. Not getting his shots in clean and with leverage, and being beaten on the inside and when Canelo exits the exchanges.

Golovkin's jab is critical for this reason. If Canelo finds it easy to pick his moments then he will light Golovkin up in the pocket. When opponents step in and flurry Golovkin tends to do nothing except put his gloves up and wait for them to finish. The Jacobs fight was the worst illustration of this, but it has always been there.

To a certain extent he's gotten away with it because the men he has faced haven't had the power or the precision to really make him pay. But Canelo certainly has the precision. And he's a more fluid combination puncher than anyone Golovkin has faced as well.

For me Golovkin has to force Canelo back with the jab. I just don't see him winning otherwise. He has to make Canelo work harder than Canelo likes to work. He can't let Canelo choose his ground and pick his moments. If he does that then I think he can wear Canelo down. If not, then I think the timing, the variation, and the speed of Canelo will carry the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pastel

Hi all, does anyone know if there are any pubs showing the fight? A long shot but maybe some places are doing an event for it?

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Pastel wrote: »
    Hi all, does anyone know if there are any pubs showing the fight? A long shot but maybe some places are doing an event for it?

Thanks in advance!

Wouldnt think so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

walshb wrote: »

Suprised your going for Canelo Walshb

I dont give him much chance myself

Hes the smaller man and GGG can bang

I thought they were similar size, but seeing them now you can see GGG is a good bit taller and bigger, Canelo has no experience at MW either

Think he will struggle

Canelo KO
    I am only very slightly leaning with Canelo. The truth be told, any type of win for either mannwon't surprise me. Canelo getting overpowered and beaten down being one non surprise...

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

Really interested to see the weigh in later on and how both men are looking especially Canelo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Canelo KO
    Is there any link to watch the weigh in live later?

And what is with HBO region locking the 24/7's etc. on YouTube?

They do know there are boxing fans outside the US, right? I know May/Mac was a bit of a circus, but they could learn a trick or ten from that promotion.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    BoxNation showing weigh in from 8.30 this evening followed by 24/7 both episodes...nice to get the mood going. YouTube a bit all over the place for 24/7.

Advertisement