Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    For GGG-Canelo 24/7...

https://www.proxysite.com/
    Change to US server
    copy and paste URL
    episode 1: https://youtu.be/QrdGoqt_Wv4
    episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNHDAf0pdAk

The above works to watch the 24/7 lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Canelo Points
    A great big'un will always beat a great smaller fighter. Right up there with the most cliched terms in boxing but it sticks here for me.
    It took a real true middleweight with skills, size and power in Jacobs to give GGG his toughest fight, i just don't see how Canelo can do as good or better. Especially now that he is bulked up massively that will only take away from his skillset instead of adding to it.

A monumental fight if he can achieve it though. Tomorrow night can't come quick enough :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

gilmour wrote: »
    A great big'un will always beat a great smaller fighter. Right up there with the most cliched terms in boxing but it sticks here for me.
    It took a real true middleweight with skills, size and power in Jacobs to give GGG his toughest fight, i just don't see how Canelo can do as good or better. Especially now that he is bulked up massively that will only take away from his skillset instead of adding to it.

A monumental fight if he can achieve it though. Tomorrow night can't come quick enough :cool:

Who came in to the ring as heavy as a LHW ;) This fight if it lives up to the hype should be as iconic as Hagler v Hearns it has all the ingredients to be a classic
    I'm counting down the hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Canelo Points
    here's a promo that might get ye in the mood. I'd nearly reopen my facebook account to share it...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YPI7WVI9lE

Boxingscene will share a link or the HBO youtube channel will have the weigh-in. One of us will surely post it.

How reliable do you think BoxNation's legit stream would be compared to others?

Don't forget BJS v Monroe jr. I'm not even joking. I think it's gonna be streamed on Youtube though Banner Promotions tomorrow evening but that may be just for the US. I guess you'll have to sign-up, at least, for that.

It's cool that the main event is scheduled to start that bit earlier tomorrow night. 4am I think.

Golovkin tko 10.

hbhook wrote: »
    here's a promo that might get ye in the mood. I'd nearly reopen my facebook account to share it...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YPI7WVI9lE

Boxingscene will share a link or the HBO youtube channel will have the weigh-in. One of us will surely post it.

How reliable do you think BoxNation's legit stream would be compared to others?

Don't forget BJS v Monroe jr. I'm not even joking. I think it's gonna be streamed on Youtube though Banner Promotions tomorrow evening but that may be just for the US. I guess you'll have to sign-up, at least, for that.

It's cool that the main event is scheduled to start that bit earlier tomorrow night. 4am I think.

Golovkin tko 10.

I'm hoping Boxnations legit stream is okay anyway! I don't think there'll be a massive demand on their servers to be honest. It's a big fight no doubt but it's not gonna be pulling numbers over here that will bring down a stream

Did you see the video doing the rounds of BJS son punching Monroe in the unmentionables at the weigh in??

https://www.balls.ie/boxing/billy-joe-saunders-son-punch-monroe-jr-373655?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=Balls.ie&utm_content=Watch:%20Billy%20Joe%20Saunders%27%20Son%20Attacks%20Opponent%20At%20World%20Title%20Weigh-In

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Draw

Canelo Points
    Mr.Ed wrote: »
    I'm hoping Boxnations legit stream is okay anyway! I don't think there'll be a massive demand on their servers to be honest. It's a big fight no doubt but it's not gonna be pulling numbers over here that will bring down a stream

Did you see the video doing the rounds of BJS son punching Monroe in the unmentionables at the weigh in??

https://www.balls.ie/boxing/billy-joe-saunders-son-punch-monroe-jr-373655?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=Balls.ie&utm_content=Watch:%20Billy%20Joe%20Saunders%27%20Son%20Attacks%20Opponent%20At%20World%20Title%20Weigh-In

It's the only reason why I'd like a definitive beat down of Canelo. No rematch needed so GGG can do us all a favour and hurt Saunders. I'd prefer a rematch obviously that isn't based on controversy.

And so have you just subscribed to BoxNation recently (for this fight)? That's what the extra charge is right? Between the 9th and 18th. For those signing up with the idea of cancelling afterwards.

Canelo Points
    pac_man wrote: »
    Does size really play a factor in this fight? I think you may have alluded to the point that his increase in size and that it might affect his speed and I get that but Canelo has been masquerading as a JMW and has been bullying opponents with his size to a degree. He's not someone small that is making a big jump in weight. Golovkin isn't a big MW. Sure, Golovkin might have an inch or so in terms of height but I wouldn't be surprised if Canelo weighs in heavier once they get into the ring.

For me size certainly matters in this one. Golovkins power is so severe that bigger natural middleweights are not able to cope with it. As pointed out above about Jacobs, he deliberately missed the rehydration limit (and thus his chance to win the title) to put on the extra 20lbs in order to cope with what was ahead of him. And still he was knocked down.

Canelo is not a natural MW obviously, and he sure as hell has never faced anything like the power that he will be facing tomorrow night. The reason why i think that he is forfeiting his chances by bulking up is because it says to me that he is going in there for a firefight and attempt to get to Golovkins body, GGG's biggest weakness is undoubtedly his inside game, he can be got to. But to get in there he's going to go through hell.

And if that is in fact his gameplan, we're in for a classic!

(one other point about Canelo that i can't really get out of my head over the years, he is not comfortable fighting every minute of every round. Another reason why the bulking strategy is baffling me, he will now be slower on his feet with slower reflexes and less stamina than before, and as i said the fact that he likes to take a lot of breaks in rounds could be a habit that will get him in serious trouble tomorrow night)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Canelo Points
    Saunders really is unlikeable

hbhook wrote: »
    It's the only reason why I'd like a definitive beat down of Canelo. No rematch needed so GGG can do us all a favour and hurt Saunders. I'd prefer a rematch obviously that isn't based on controversy.

And so have you just subscribed to BoxNation recently (for this fight)? That's what the extra charge is right? Between the 9th and 18th. For those signing up with the idea of cancelling afterwards.

If BJS and GGG make it through I can't wait to see what excuse Saunders makes to avoid him

I literally signed up this afternoon just to have a decent stream I usually rely on other means to watch them but I'm not taking a chance with this one!! The £4 surcharge is to account for the cancellations I would think

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    If BJS and GGG make it through I can't wait to see what excuse Saunders makes to avoid him

I literally signed up this afternoon just to have a decent stream I usually rely on other means to watch them but I'm not taking a chance with this one!! The £4 surcharge is to account for the cancellations I would think
    Cheers, ya you're dead right!

Canelo Points
    Saunders has a better style to beat GGG than Canelo does tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    Saunders has a better style to beat GGG than Canelo does tbf.

Possibly more in the awkward sense. That is all. The guy can't punch for sh1t, and no way he snakes a decision win. Canelo far better chance to beat GGG.

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »
    Possibly more in the awkward sense. That is all. The guy can't punch for sh1t, and no way he snakes a decision win. Canelo far better chance to beat GGG.

He's a very good technical boxer. Good jab, speed, footwork. Definitely has tools to give GGG problems early. His stamina would let him down eventually though and GGG would stop him late I'd suspect.

Saunders v Canelo I would really like to see.

Canelo KO
    Pitter patter amateur!

In fairness Eubank Jr outboxed BJS for the last 6-7 rounds of their fight, granted that was a few years ago now but he's only fought twice since and looked less than impressive in those

I would love to see GGG knock the beard off him just to shut him up though

Canelo Points
    In fairness Eubank Jr outboxed BJS for the last 6-7 rounds of their fight, granted that was a few years ago now but he's only fought twice since and looked less than impressive in those

I would love to see GGG knock the beard off him just to shut him up though

Think it was more a case of Saunders completely gassing after 6 rounds. When both had full gas tanks Saunders was in full control to be fair. Stamina is always gong to be an issue for Saunders when he blows up so much between fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Canelo Points
    Weigh in on YouTube now

Canelo Points
    Ryan Martin is one big lightweight.

If we could get the tecate girls into the Top Rank blue...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    gilmour wrote: »
    For me size certainly matters in this one. Golovkins power is so severe that bigger natural middleweights are not able to cope with it. As pointed out above about Jacobs, he deliberately missed the IBF rehydration limit (and thus his chance to win the IBF title) to put on the extra 20lbs in order to cope with what was ahead of him. And still he was knocked down.

Canelo is not a natural MW obviously, and he sure as hell has never faced anything like the power that he will be facing tomorrow night. The reason why i think that he is forfeiting his chances by bulking up is because it says to me that he is going in there for a firefight and attempt to get to Golovkins body, GGG's biggest weakness is undoubtedly his inside game, he can be got to. But to get in there he's going to go through hell.

And if that is in fact his gameplan, we're in for a classic!

(one other point about Canelo that i can't really get out of my head over the years, he is not comfortable fighting every minute of every round. Another reason why the bulking strategy is baffling me, he will now be slower on his feet with slower reflexes and less stamina than before, and as i said the fact that he likes to take a lot of breaks in rounds could be a habit that will get him in serious trouble tomorrow night)

On the whole "Jacobs was huge" angle. He missed the IBF rehydration limit meaning he couldn't win the IBF title. But he was perfectly within the rules for the WBA & WBC titles! He weighed in under the middleweight limit meaning he was a middleweight! Fighting another middleweight! You'd swear rehydrating after the weigh-in was an unheard of tactic and Jacobs was doing something underhanded. For me it has always smacked of a very lame excuse from GGG fans for what was an underwhelming performance.

With regard to the notion that heavier = slower, I thought that kind of thinking went out over 20 years ago! If you look at any 100m Olympic/world final all the athletes are like bodybuilders. Their entire existence is based around speed, so why bulk up if it slows you? Answer: It doesn't. And what's more, Canelo has been very big at light-middle, so he won't have to cut as much to make middle which should help his stamina, not hinder it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    Steve Lillis just mentioned something I heard recently and it really has me thinking.

He said Matthew Macklin told him that from Golovkin's point of view, this fight is his career-defining fight. No other fight he has had will matter if he loses this. He will always be remembered for this fight.

When you put it that way, that's enormous motivation.

I've been edging towards Canelo for quite a while now, but....

Canelo Points
    megadodge wrote: »
    With regard to the notion that heavier = slower, I thought that kind of thinking went out over 20 years ago! If you look at any 100m Olympic/world final all the athletes are like bodybuilders. Their entire existence is based around speed, so why bulk up if it slows you? Answer: It doesn't. And what's more, Canelo has been very big at light-middle, so he won't have to cut as much to make middle which should help his stamina, not hinder it.

100m sprinters don't build for stamina, and more importantly they don't have a fight to worry about. Why isn't every boxer built like a brickhouse unit going by your logic? Maybe theres a reason?

Canelo Points
    Buffer is shot to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Draw
    Buffer is shot to bits.

Was just about to say the same thing

Canelo KO
    FFS..they a bit behind giving Canelo's weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    Buffer is shot to bits.

His timing is way off.

megadodge wrote: »
    Steve Lillis just mentioned something I heard recently and it really has me thinking.

He said Matthew Macklin told him that from Golovkin's point of view, this fight is his career-defining fight. No other fight he has had will matter if he loses this. He will always be remembered for this fight.

When you put it that way, that's enormous motivation.

I've been edging towards Canelo for quite a while now, but....

Thats from an interview they released during the week, he makes another really good point I think that this has been the fight GGG has wanted for two years Brook + Jacobs have kind of been filer for him and maybe he wouldn't be as motivated for those fights as for Canelo because a W vs Canelo is huge and would be success in his first major test in many peoples eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    GGG looks like he definitely struggled to make weight for the first time I can remember.

GGG channelled his inner Borat there for a Second "aughghghghg KAZAKHSTAN KAZAKHSTAN"

I really feel Canelo won't be a superstar until he learns English

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    All the trash talk from GGG🤔

Advertisement