Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »
    All the trash talk from GGG🤔

What was she talking about???

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

Trying to stir up some heat but it fell flat these guys don't need that to make the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Canelo Points
    I thought they both looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    gilmour wrote: »
    100m sprinters don't build for stamina, and more importantly they don't have a fight to worry about. Why isn't every boxer built like a brickhouse unit going by your logic? Maybe theres a reason?

I was referring specifically your quote of "he will now be slower on his feet with slower reflexes and less stamina than before" - slower because he's a few pounds heavier? Less stamina because he doesn't have to cut those last 5-6 pounds? Seriously?

He just weighed 160 pounds on the button and looked ripped to bits. Not much sign of the so-called bulking the internet chattering classes were referring to. His speed will be fine. His stamina... I don't know, simply because it has never been hectic. It certainly won't be worse because he doesn't have to make 154/155 anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Canelo KO
    Looking forward to this, a proper super fight, not like the BS a few weeks ago.

Two proper champions going at it

Canelo for me on points, if he connects like he did against Khan its goodnight GGG :)

[URL="[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzXXESMui-s[/url]"][/url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzXXESMui-s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Canelo Points
    GGG looks like he definitely struggled to make weight for the first time I can remember.

I seen two men in right good shape hop up on the scales and both make weight handy. Both natually enough took on some liquids after the weigh in and I seen GGG have a bit of an aul extra sup or two as Canelo took an age to put on his shoes.

Can't see where the definitely struggled to make 160 angle is coming from?

But people will see what they want to I suppose...

Canelo KO
    GGG looks like he definitely struggled to make weight for the first time I can remember.

I didn't see that at all. He looked fine to me.

Canelo Points
    Just really looking forward to this. Heard a guy asking his mate was he watching the boxing this weekend - his mate hadn't a clue! Srsly compared to the farce a few weeks ago- this is gonna be epic!!!!

Canelo Points
    Mr.Ed wrote: »
    GGG channelled his inner Borat there for a Second "aughghghghg KAZAKHSTAN KAZAKHSTAN"

I really feel Canelo won't be a superstar until he learns English

GGG said it in English perfectly???

Canelo Points
    Quigly on fb live at the weigh in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Canelo Points
    megadodge wrote: »
    I was referring specifically your quote of "he will now be slower on his feet with slower reflexes and less stamina than before" - slower because he's a few pounds heavier? Less stamina because he doesn't have to cut those last 5-6 pounds? Seriously?

He just weighed 160 pounds on the button and looked ripped to bits. Not much sign of the so-called bulking the internet chattering classes were referring to. His speed will be fine. His stamina... I don't know, simply because it has never been hectic. It certainly won't be worse because he doesn't have to make 154/155 anymore.

He looks tremendous! But the chattering classes that you talk about wasn't just some rumour, he was pumped to f*ck a few weeks ago like a bodybuilder which was clear from the several videos of him in training. That was when i started to worry about him sacrificing his true assets to handle Golovkin. Does the extra few pounds of pure muscle have an effect on his speed and reflexes? Absolutely in my opinion, compared to his fights at 154.

The original reason that i brought Jacobs up was because he was a true middleweight with power and skills who pushed GGG to the very brink and yet he still got knocked down. Canelo isn't a true MW and i can't see him winning. I hope i'm wrong because I'd love to see him win.

snowflaker wrote: »

Might have been my crappy internet lagging a bit had to watch it on the phone but it didn't sound like he said any English words before he said Kazakhstan

I'll rewatch it when I get home but you're more than likely right

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    Does looking fit and trim mean you struggled to make weight?

All elites "struggle" to make weight, but what are others seeing to suggest GGG proper struggled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    Golovkin looked a little dry and sickly but nothing major at all. Canelo looked incredible. Doesn't matter too much tbh. Nobody looked a heroin addict.

Canelo KO
    He looks tremendous! But the chattering classes that you talk about wasn't just some rumour, he was pumped to f*ck a few weeks ago like a bodybuilder which was clear from the several videos of him in training. That was when i started to worry about him sacrificing his true assets to handle Golovkin. Does the extra few pounds of pure muscle have an effect on his speed and reflexes? Absolutely in my opinion, compared to his fights at 154.

The original reason that i brought Jacobs up was because he was a true middleweight with power and skills who pushed GGG to the very brink and yet he still got knocked down. Canelo isn't a true MW and i can't see him winning. I hope i'm wrong because I'd love to see him win.

Don't forget Jacobs was sparked by Pirog a few years ago, which shows his chin isn't exactly granite, but he still went the distance. Canelo's chin is top notch. I think stamina is a far bigger concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    Pirog really landed so cleanly on Jacobs. GGG not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    I seen two men in right good shape hop up on the scales and both make weight handy. Both natually enough took on some liquids after the weigh in and I seen GGG have a bit of an aul extra sup or two as Canelo took an age to put on his shoes.

Can't see where the definitely struggled to make 160 angle is coming from?

But people will see what they want to I suppose...

Probably reading too much into it alright but he has been a few pounds heavier than normal at the checkweights and he normally comes in at 159 without looking dry mouthed. Perhaps it's a tactic to come in a little heavier than normal?

Anyway can't wait for this. I'm picking GGG on a clear points win. Canelo might be too tough and elusive to get stopped but GGG should out work him I think.

Canelo Points
    Don't forget Jacobs was sparked by Pirog a few years ago, which shows his chin isn't exactly granite, but he still went the distance. Canelo's chin is top notch. I think stamina is a far bigger concern.

The only time i seen Canelo truly hurt was a fight i was at, against Cotto's older brother Jose on the undercard of Mayweather-Mosley. But again, speaking the complete obvious, he will have faced absolutely nothing compared to tomorrow nights power. If he comes through this without being knocked down then he 100% has a granite chin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    Pirog was some fighter. A guy to really sit down and analyse. Fascinating.

GGG looked a tiny bit dry in the face (round the eyes esp) but that could be age honestly... Cannel looked phenomenal, those traps :eek:
    Both in amazing shape and love how they're just not bothered with English or trash talk - show up, look good, stay true to your style and do your thing in the ring. Dying for this one.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    The only time i seen Canelo truly hurt was a fight i was at, against Cotto's older brother Jose on the undercard of Mayweather-Mosley. But again, speaking the complete obvious, he will have faced absolutely nothing compared to tomorrow nights power. If he comes through this without being knocked down then he 100% has a granite chin.

You're new to this forum so I'll give you a pass on that one. We've gone over that incident more than once here. He wasn't hurt.

It was the classic 'double power' case where one hook landed marginally before the other which normally leads to a highlight reel KO. Canelo didn't even go down and was caught by a lovely straight right immediately after and from then for the next 10 seconds or so he parried, blocked and slipped quite comfortably. That was it really. Of course the internet went nuts, as it's prone to do, but it actually proved to me how good his chin was.

Nice card to have been at though. I really thought Shane was going to do us all a favour in that second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭qwabercd

GGG KO
    Burial. wrote: »
    Pirog was some fighter. A guy to really sit down and analyse. Fascinating.

Such a pity injuries ruined him.

Canelo Points
    You're new to this forum so I'll give you a pass on that one. We've gone over that incident more than once here. He wasn't hurt.

It was the classic 'double power' case where one hook landed marginally before the other which normally leads to a highlight reel KO. Canelo didn't even go down and was caught by a lovely straight right immediately after and from then for the next 10 seconds or so he parried, blocked and slipped quite comfortably. That was it really. Of course the internet went nuts, as it's prone to do, but it actually proved to me how good his chin was.

Nice card to have been at though. I really thought Shane was going to do us all a favour in that second round.

I've been lurking here years with the odd post, but my love of posting on internet forums about subjects have waned the older i get. I relapsed for the farce a few weeks back and for a while i thought i had popped a few hits of acid. Fun though.

I missed the discussion about that fight though, but i will say it's still the worst i've seen him after taking a punch, but recovered after 15 seconds. I laughed out loud in the arena when he bounced Cotto's head back with what must have been 6 consecutive straight rights to the dome later in the fight.
    As for Shane and Floyd. Spectacular atmosphere at that moment but i'll be honest inside the ring i'm a fan of Floyd, and that night he was brilliant after that round, probably the best display of boxing i've ever seen in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    He was walking like a man coming out of Coppers at 4am. He was definitely hurt. Just showed great recuperation skills though.

snowflaker wrote: »

Apologies just watched it again don't know what I was hearing earlier I'll blame it on the excitement ha

Canelo KO
    Morrison J wrote: »
    He was walking like a man coming out of Coppers at 4am. He was definitely hurt. Just showed great recuperation skills though.

No matter how badly you want it to be true, that's a lie.

Canelo Points
    No matter how badly you want it to be true, that's a lie.

No it's not. Canelo stumbled from almost one end of the ring to the other. He was obviously hurt but cleared the cobwebs and recovered well.

Go to 1.30 and watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Canelo Points
    I'm not sure Canelo or Jacobs getting hurt 5 years ago or so really matters at this point.

Canelo Points
    hbhook wrote: »
    I'm not sure Canelo or Jacobs getting hurt 5 years ago or so really matters at this point.

Completely agree. I'd read literally nothing into it tbh.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    Morrison J wrote: »
    No it's not. Canelo stumbled from almost one end of the ring to the other. He was obviously hurt but cleared the cobwebs and recovered well.

Go to 1.30 and watch it again.

Christ you sure love to exaggerate. Thanks for embedding the proof of it.

"Stumbled from almost one end of the ring to the other" :confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement