Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Canelo Points
    So you say. He landed clean on GGG multiple times, absolutely clean and GGG laughed it off. His power at 160lbs is a myth. Conor's chin is granite.

I'm not debating who would win we all know Canelo wins but it'd take him 10/11 rounds just like Floyd. Conor has never been dropped with a punch, knee, elbow or kick in his entire career whether in 4oz or 8oz. He has a zombie chin.

Anyway enough of that talk :rolleyes: Adelaide Byrd needs to be investigated. 118-110 what a sham.

Boxing extremely corrupt.
    please man...this is our place..take the McGregor ****e eslewhere..respectfully,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Canelo Points
    Oh Joe Calzaghe clearly beat a spent Hopkins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    Fall_Guy wrote: »
    This is very true....I remember nigh on 10 years ago people arguing for Hopkins to have beaten Calzaghe because he landed the crisper shots while calzaghe threw far more but landed little of note.....and to be fair to Bernard, he snapped Joes head back more times than Canelo snapped Golovkins head back....

....my opinion on that occasion was that landing a few eye-catching shots per round while the other fighter presses forward and lands with greater frequency across the whole round, was not enough to win rounds....I hold the same view tonight, and feel Golovkin won a fard fought contest on that basis.

Your viewpoint has changed however, if I remember correctly....and to be fair, I may not :D

I went for Calzaghe closely in that fight, but that was mainly because after the first two rounds Hopkins landed virtually nothing for the rest of the fight. Joe didn't exactly land a whole lot either, but at least he was throwing and trying to win, Hopkins just did sweet f*ck all.

I very, very, VERY strongly disagree with the highlighted bit. I wouldn't advise going back watching that boring fight, but both Canelo and Golovkin landed more in some rounds than Hopkins landed in the whole fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Canelo Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    GGG outlanded Canelo 218-169. Also controlled the distance, was on the frontfoot and landed the harder shots. He's been absolutely robbed.

Canelo clearly landed the harder shots in that fight. One of the few things he did do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Anyway enough of that talk :rolleyes: Adelaide Byrd needs to be investigated. 118-110 what a sham.

Boxing extremely corrupt.

And is MMA extremely corrupt when the same judge has the same crazy scorecards in fights there?

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    hbhook wrote: »
    please man...this is our place..take the McGregor ****e eslewhere..respectfully,,

any mention of him should be a forum ban.

Canelo KO
    snowflaker wrote: »
    Betfair took all my money and I've still no issue with the draw.

Wait for it..... I had the draw backed on Betfair and stupidly decided to cash out. 14 f*cking euro instead of 185!!

Canelo Points
    Betfair took all my money and I've still no issue with the draw.

I went for a GGG tko 10. Idk people..I'll watch it first thing when I get up..as most here will. I personally thought it was a clear GGG win. I suppose it comes down to what you like..aggression or accuracy considering all that went between.

Canelo Points
    megadodge wrote: »
    Wait for it..... I had the draw backed on Betfair and stupidly decided to cash out. 14 f*cking euro instead of 185!!

:eek: I went Canelo points to balance my GGG stoppage. At least you got 14 Euro. I wish I had a draw backed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Canelo Points
    I have to say after the 12th was finished i was shocked that i had it 6 rounds each, it looked and felt like GGG was winning it but scoring it round by round 6-6 is what i came to.

One of the toughest fights i can remember scoring in quite a while. Rematch yes please!

As for Adelaide Byrd? Remember CJ Ross? Am i about to get lynched for what i'm thinking here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Oh Joe Calzaghe clearly beat a spent Hopkins

Agreed.....but the fact remains people were making the same points you are making for Canelo to argue Hopkins case (Calzaghe's punches weren't hurtful, hopkins landed crisper shots, calzaghe missed lots etc....).

I felt that those points were off then, and feel they are off in relation to Golovkins forward pressure in this fight tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Canelo Points
    A total farce. No wonder this sport is on its knees with bull**** like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Canelo KO
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah most people had Golovkin. But I just feel that Canelo landed the cleaner more eye-catching punches, GGG was the agressor for the vast majority of the fight, with Canelo on the back foot, in the corners, on the ropes, but if you watch the exchanges closely, he's not really landing much clean.

Canelo Points
    Yeah most people had Golovkin. But I just feel that Canelo landed the cleaner more eye-catching punches, GGG was the agressor for the vast majority of the fight, with Canelo on the back foot, in the corners, on the ropes, but if you watch the exchanges closely, he's not really landing much clean.

he was landing great shots, the Kazakh not flinching doesn't negate that

Canelo KO
    So as to get a better view of why people believe whatever they believe, I suggest instead of coming on roaring corruption etc. please post your own scorecards. Round by round.

Then we can get into a discussion why certain rounds went one way or another. Gilmour's post (#766) above is a very good example of how the result may surprise. Round by round can often differ to overall perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    GGG outlanded Canelo 218-169. Also controlled the distance, was on the frontfoot and landed the harder shots. He's been absolutely robbed.

Canelo clearly landed the harder shots in that fight. One of the few things he did do.
    Did he ****. Didn't put a dent in GGG. Canelo definitely felt GGG's power on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    Anyone nutters on here actually score it to Canelo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

jonon9 wrote: »
    Your really just trolling for the sake of it at this stage. Call it a night mate.

Not trolling at all. 118-110 is indefensible. If you call that "trolling" then ok, but weird statement to make since almost everyone agrees.

Incidentally, Sugar Ray Leonard said Canelo's power is a myth at 160lbs too, so not trolling either when I say Canelo wouldn't KO Conor early, it would take him at least 8 rounds before sealing a comfortable victory.

We had to put up with a lot of you fine gentlemen for months on every Conor thread talking about Canelo-GGG but ye can't handle 2 posts in here? I didn't even bring Conor up, Too Tough to Die did :)

Bunch of defensive fanboys in here. It was a farce of a decision after a fairly average fight relative to the hype. They both promised vicious early KO's and instead we got ridiculous scorecards in a fairly uninspiring contest.

Nobody should be trying to justify how 2 judges can go 118-110 and 115-113 in opposite directions.

Canelo KO
    Gamebred wrote: »
    2 rounds to ggg is possibly the worse card I've ever seen.

I had no interest in the undercard personally. I had already watched the full undercard and main event from Saunders vs Monroe earlier

Canelo Points
    See that's the thing in fairness..Alvarez landed some lovely shots that because GGG never flinched i kinda fanboyish scored for him cos he was pressuring and landing un-eye-catching thudding shots..

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    Mario Lopez calls for a rematch May 5 2018! Yes please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

It does show Canelo's power is a complete myth at 160lbs.

You can count on one hand the amount of times he hurt Trout, Cotto, GGG at 160lbs.

People carry on about Canelo like he's the Mike Tyson of the middle weight classes, the reality is when he goes higher than 154lbs he has no power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Canelo Points

Canelo Points
    Mario Lopez calls for a rematch May 5 2018! Yes please!

aka..Cinco de bloodbath...I wish

I went for Calzaghe closely in that fight, but that was mainly because after the first two rounds Hopkins landed virtually nothing for the rest of the fight. Joe didn't exactly land a whole lot either, but at least he was throwing and trying to win, Hopkins just did sweet f*ck all.

I very, very, VERY strongly disagree with the highlighted bit. I wouldn't advise going back watching that boring fight, but both Canelo and Golovkin landed more in some rounds than Hopkins landed in the whole fight.

Fair enough, and I will take your advice on not rewatching as it was a stinker, but the punch stats (for what they are worth) are not miles off each other....

Hopkins landed 137 punches, canelo landed 169.

Calzaghe landed 232, whereas golovkin landed 218.

And you have to believe that Golovkins 218 were more hurtful shots than Joe's!

Now obviously every fight is different, and this was a much better fight, and canelo fought much better than Hopkins did in that fight...but it was still a case of him landing fewer, more eye catching shots while Golovkin applied constant pressure and landed with more frequency.

There was talk of effective aggression, and this is a fair comment, but it was Canelo who backed up when Golovkin landed, while GGG ate canelos shots and kept walking forward.

And wasnt it only a couple of weeks ago that everyone and there mother explained away mcgregors landing shots on mayweather as being down to mayweather walking mcgregor down with little regard for mcgregors shots. Surely the same holds here to some extent? Golovkin was always going to eat shots on the way in, but canelo didnt have enough to deter him.

Either way, it was a good fight, and a close fight. Look forward to another go round!

Canelo KO
    darced wrote: »

I had it 115-114 to Canelo, with the 3rd round even.

I'll be completely honest though, there were a number of rounds that I found really hard to score and don't have a problem with anybody giving a narrow win to GGG, but this was definitely a close, close fight. And I posted between the end of the fight and the announcement that it could go either way, so it's not aftertiming.

Canelo KO

He was throwing shots but not enough scoring shots for me, compared to Canelo in certain rounds. Both fighters showed amazing endurance to take each other's punches

For the record, I scored the fight 115-113 Golovkin. Was a tough one to score, but I think even the most ardent Canelo fan will accept that there is no way GGG only won 2 rounds.

Canelo KO
    Fall_Guy wrote: »
    For the record, I scored the fight 115-113 Golovkin. Was a tough one to score, but I think even the most ardent Canelo fan will accept that there is no way GGG only won 2 rounds.

I completely agree and mentioned it in my first post after the announcement.

That was a disgusting scorecard.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    I had it 115-114 to Canelo, with the 3rd round even.

I'll be completely honest though, there were a number of rounds that I found really hard to score and don't have a problem with anybody giving a narrow win to GGG, but this was definitely a close, close fight. And I posted between the end of the fight and the announcement that it could go either way, so it's not aftertiming.

Agreed. I also had Canelo by the same score, I'm less pissed off that Canelo didn't win, and more pissed off with the draw.

I would have preferred if they gave it to GGG than a fcking draw.

Advertisement