Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Canelo Points
    I'd say you could take a hammer to GGG's chin and get absolutely nowhere. And Canelo's chin is now 100% absolutely legit passed as granite.

I can't wait to watch this fight again tomorrow, probably 2 or 3 more times. And i wouldn't be surprised if i got 3 different scorecards each time. But i find it hard to imagine i'll score any of them to go to Canelo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Canelo Points
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Canelo Points
    One last thing before i hit the hay, anyone else surprised by Golovkin not going to the body at all? So many opportunities and he head hunted each and every one of them. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Canelo KO
    Twas a decent fight, Golovkin deserved it as he led the way. That said, if I was in there with him I would've bate the two of them for the price of wan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    Well I did call controversial draw in the prediction thread :pac: Shades of Ward/Kovalev 1 where people are too fussed about one factor rather than soaking in what was a massive fight...what a f*cking fight. Real treat and it's going to happen again with a touch more spice. Hats off to both, seriously what a fight. The draw the completely correct score but obviously that card for Canelo is bonkers. I had Golovkin by one (liable to change upon rewatch) but there were several close rounds that a 115-113 in either direction would be plausible, kind of like Ward/Kovalev1 only more even this time. Obviously conspiracy nuts will lap up the fixed judges, fixed for a rematch for more money and frankly I don't care too much. Although it takes away Golovkin's perfect 0 he's still unbeaten, both lads still have another shot and still have their pride and it's hard to make anyone a loser in that fight...so f*cking close. Anyone screaming robbery needs their head checked. Haven't read through the thread much but 100% agree with megadodge about a detailed RBR, especially from those screaming ludicrous murderous robbery.

That card will be remembered for a long while by the media and the casuals but this fight is an instant classic, regardless of result. Cannot f*cking wait for the rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    Burial. wrote: »

Certaintly won't be putting huge on this fight. Unlike a lot of fights they seem to have got this one spot on. Hard to find value although Golovkin by stoppage at 6/4 and Canelo by decision at 2/1 look attractive The draw at 25/1 looks lovely though and worth a 50.

I thought I was a degenerate but could only muster a 20. Bad day on Saturday with the Football made me a little more wise than I normally would be...

2HXQ7dD.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Burial. wrote: »
    I thought I was a degenerate but could only muster a 20. Bad day on Saturday with the Football made me a little more wise than I normally would be...

2HXQ7dD.png

Great shout, fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Canelo KO
    Teddy Atlas is losing his sh1t over this one... even more than the Jeff Horn/ Manna fight..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭qwabercd

GGG KO
    darced wrote: »
    Canelo threw less, landed less and backpedaled for two thirds of every round. Hard to call it close.

I thought golovkin dominated the fight overall but still had it a draw, fights can go that way sometimes. I gave rounds 1-3, 6 and 11-12 to Canelo. On a rewatch that could differ perhaps. The rounds Canelo won were closer, the 6th in particular could have gone either way.

There were at least 7 close rounds that could have gone either way (I'd add the 10th to the rounds above). To call a draw a farce is just wrong (not you in particular). 118 - 110 obviously was a farce.

As said by others the boxnation commentary was a joke. They gave canelo no hope bar a KO going into the last which was nonsense.

Regardless of if you thought GGG won by 4 rounds you'd have to admit some of those rounds were close. GGG was pressuring but landed very few clean clean punches over the course of the fight.

The interviews were quite telling also. Golovkin seemingly content with the draw and canelo thought he won handily enough. The latter kind of annoyed me a bit (and the crowd also, whom I think were booing his reaction more than the result itself).

A rematch will be intriguing again. Golovkin will have aged that little bit more but it's clear that canelo can't hurt him. I still feel if GGG catches him clean in the later rounds he can knock him out (based on a hunch as opposed to the evidence of the fight).

As an aside the draw was 15/2 a minute into the last round which I thought was quite long as canelo was coming on strong again.

Overall a good fight, not a classic but for me soured by the 118-110 which had to be corruption as opposed to incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

qwabercd wrote: »

There were at least 7 close rounds that could have gone either way (I'd add the 10th to the rounds above). To call a draw a farce is just wrong (not you in particular). 118 - 110 obviously was a farce.....

.....Overall a good fight, not a classic but for me soured by the 118-110 which had to be corruption as opposed to incompetence.

If you feel that there were at least 7 rounds that could have gone either way, why is the 118-110 such a farce? By that logic the judge could have given a fair chunk of the rounds you viewed as toss-ups to canelo, along with the clearer ones and easily come with that score.

I felt it was a shocking score, but I didnt feel quite so many of the rounds were those razor thin ones that are hard to score. I will admit to probably having GGG-goggles on though

• Advertisement

GGG KO
    gilmour wrote: »
    One last thing before i hit the hay, anyone else surprised by Golovkin not going to the body at all? So many opportunities and he head hunted each and every one of them. Very strange.

Very surprised. Mentioned it during the fight. It seemed so open at times (especially when Canelo was on the ropes) and he was missing/not fully connecting with so many head shots. Golovkin is such an effective body puncher and with canelo's tendency to gas a little I thought it was a big tactical error by GGG.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,528 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    Both will relish another big rematch payday. Both men looked very comfortable throughout, even with the good pace and heavy effort.

How do we rate these at MW in a historical sense? I can't help thinking that they would come up short against a fair amount of MWs through the years.

GGG KO
    Fall_Guy wrote: »
    If you feel that there were at least 7 rounds that could have gone either way, why is the 118-110 such a farce? By that logic the judge could have given a fair chunk of the rounds you viewed as toss-ups to canelo, along with the clearer ones and easily come with that score.

I felt it was a shocking score, but I didnt feel quite so many of the rounds were those razor thin ones that are hard to score. I will admit to probably having GGG-goggles on though

To be clear, I thought there was 7 rounds you could argue for canelo (1-3, 6, 10-12). So I could have scored the fight at best 115-113 canelo. On the other hand I could have given rounds 3, 6, 10 or 12 to GGG on top of the other rounds which would have been a clear win for golovkin. There's absolutely no way I could pick 10 rounds that Canelo won.

Disclaimer - It was late so my scoring/memory of rounds could be off.

Canelo KO

Incidentally, Sugar Ray Leonard said Canelo's power is a myth at 160lbs too, so not trolling either when I say Canelo wouldn't KO Conor early, it would take him at least 8 rounds before sealing a comfortable victory.

That seals it then. SRL confirms your call that it would take 10-11 rds for Canelo to take out Conor due to SRLs view that Canelo's power is not MW power...

Seriously, take your nuts out of Conor's mouth. He's really not all that, mallet head and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Canelo Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Morrison J wrote: »
    GGG outlanded Canelo 218-169. Also controlled the distance, was on the frontfoot and landed the harder shots. He's been absolutely robbed.

Canelo clearly landed the harder shots in that fight. One of the few things he did do.
    Did he ****. Didn't put a dent in GGG. Canelo definitely felt GGG's power on a number of occasions.
    GGG is clearly made of steel but doesn't change the fact Canelo landed the bigger more eye catching shots. Can't recall Canelo ever looking in trouble either. Took a big right against the ropes early enough and just shook his head . He took GGGs power well but didn't feel the real force of it as GGG didn't land anything big too often. Has 3G winning by 2 btw but this was far from a robbery and can see the draw.

Canelo KO
    Canelo really showed me that he is as strong as an ox all over. Pure solid all over!

Maravilla spot on. GGG landed the less impacting type shots. Canelo got more meat into his shots.

GGG superior as regards generalship and volume of scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Canelo Points
    I'm on the robbery side, had GGG by 3 last night and said I'd have a look this morning to see if I felt any different. I now have Golovkin by 4. Gave Golovkins the 11th which I hadn't last night as Canelo hadn't landed what I felt he had at the time.
    I'm a huge GGG fan so every chance I'm letting this furore tip anything questionable his way but i'd like to think I'm not letting the fighter I prefer(Canelo fan too BTW) sway my reading of the fight.

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »
    Both will relish another big rematch payday. Both men looked very comfortable throughout, even with the good pace and heavy effort.

How do we rate these at MW in a historical sense? I can't help thinking that they would come up short against a fair amount if MWs through the years.
    Good question and hard to tell. Cant really judge Canelo after a few fights at the weight but I was impressed with him. He fought clever, defended well and put some nice shots together. I'm not sure if GGGs timing was slightly off or Canelo's upper body and head movement impressive as Golovkin missed quite a bit. I expect it's a mix of the 2. 

As for GGG it's tough to judge him overall. He's still undefeated but would have wanted a more dominant performance to start talking about him with other great MWs. That was his legacy fight for me. Could come back and do it in the rematch but not sure. He has all the tools to give anyone a match, especially a couple of years ago but agree he would come up short vs some great fighters who fought at MW. More recently would take Roy Jones and James Toney to beat him. Hopkins would be a pick em but I'd pick MW Hopkins to beat him. 2 of the greats Hagler and Monzon also beat him. He's is a little short of the elite imo.

Canelo Points
    Cant edit my post above, was meant to read Cant really judge Canelo after a FEW fights at the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Canelo KO
    Result stinks. Golden Boy et al took the risk that GGG was on the decline, but clearly he's not. So they and NSAC protect the cash cow with a nonsense result.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Any time I see one of these mega fights the women judges give ridiculous scorecards, actual corrupt score cards. GGG won by 3 or 4 rounds obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    Really wasn't a difficult fight to score.

I just hope in years to come people remember the fight as the clear GGG win that it was. Canelo's legacy needs to have a massive asterisk beside it now. He's bought so many favourable cards.

A 118-109 against Trout.
    A 114-114 against Mayweather.
    A 117-111 against Lara.
    A 119-109 against Cotto.
    A 118-110 against Golovkin.

All absolutely insane cards with nothing done about it. Blatant corruption. Good to see 99% of people in boxing calling it exactly what it was. A complete robbery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Danny Jacobs was tougher for GGG.

Canelo KO
    And he deserved the wins in all but two of the cards..

I think it's a bit of a sh1tty cheap shot trying to diss Canelo and besmirch his name with this.

So he got a few cards that raised eyebrows..holy fook. Let's put an asterisk beside his career...wtf..

Canelo KO

Canelo fought a better more committed fight than the runner, Jacobs.

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »
    And he deserved the wins in all but two of the cards..

I think it's a bit of a sh1tty cheap shot trying to diss Canelo and besmirch his name with this.

So he got a few cards that raised eyebrows..holy fook. Let's put an asterisk beside his career...wtf..
    Very generous saying he deserved the Lara win.

Any fighter who has cards bought for him beforehand which Canelo blatantly does deserves having to carry that fact through his legacy. Great, great fighter but immensely lucky that he's Golden Boy's cash cow. People turning a blind eye to corruption is why boxing is ****ed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Canelo took GGG's shots way better than I expected, im sure he will go into that rematch very confident of winning legit, GGG aint gonna change much up imo.

Canelo Points
    Don Trella doesn't deserve to get away with that 114-114 scorecard either. Scored GGG's best round (Rd 7) to Canelo. Absolutely awful scoring and the difference between GGG having that career defining win

Canelo KO
    Many rds in Lara, Trout, and Cotto I found quite difficult to score for those three...

Mayweather.. there has been an exaggeration going around that Floyd dominated Canelo. It's simply not true. Usual masterclass BS trotted out for Floyd's wins. Fair few difficult to score rds in that one that could lead to a close card. I scored for Floyd, but it was not domination. Rd for rd scoring it was far closer than the BS OTT Floyd descriptions.

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    Agreed. GGG definitely won that fight more decisively than the Jacobs fight for me.

Advertisement