Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

CJ Ross in the Mayweather fight scored in 114-114 when it was obvious to a blind man that he got his face boxed off. It's score cards like that which makes Canelo dodgy as hell. It's the equivalent of not giving a team 3 stonewall penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »
    Many rds in Lara, Trout, and Cotto I found quite difficult to score for those three...

Mayweather.. there has been an exaggeration going around that Floyd dominated Canelo. It's simply not true. Usual masterclass BS trotted out for Floyd's wins. Fair few difficult to score rds in that one that could lead to a close card. I scored for Floyd, but it was not domination. Rd for rd scoring it was far closer than the BS OTT Floyd descriptions.
    You actually think the 114-114 card in the Mayweather fight was a fair one so? That's absolutely mental. Fight was completely one-sided.

I'd rather see GGG vs BJS next for a unifying fight. Ignore Canelo, if it's not going to be a neutral venue with neutral judges then no point. You are just wasting your time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I'd rather see GGG vs BJS next for a unifying fight. Ignore Canelo, if it's not going to be a neutral venue with neutral judges then no point. You are just wasting your time.

For another 20 million or so for GGG so not sure thats wasting his time, he will be annoyed but happy with the rematch now its another massive payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Canelo Points

Unless Billy Joe steps up significantly from his last 2 fights he's a lamb to the slaughter against GGG. In truth I think he's a lamb to the slaughter even if he turns up at the top of his game but was very underwhelmed by him last night as Monroe jr looked like he was afraid of losing rather than trying to win.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »

For another 20 million or so for GGG so not sure thats wasting his time, he will be annoyed but happy with the rematch now its another massive payday.
    Sure but not arsed seeing it again knowing it's corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I had it a draw or 115-113 to Canelo. Gonna watch it again later on anyway and see. I think a 115-113 either way is fair from first viewing as there's some tough rounds to score in there.

I think I'd have Canelo in a rematch as when it opened up he was stringing more eye-catching combos together and took whatever shots did land quite well so I think hell throw a bit more next time around.

As another poster said regarding GGG not going to the body enough, I'd expect that to be rectified in the rematch. Thought Canelo took a couple of rounds off midway for fear of gassing late on so more body work seems a certainty to make that happen next time.

I am quite groggy this morning so all the opinions above are subject to change later this evening on second viewing!

Quite an enjoyable fight though so I'll be glad to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Canelo Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Really wasn't a difficult fight to score.

I just hope in years to come people remember the fight as the clear GGG win that it was. Canelo's legacy needs to have a massive asterisk beside it now. He's bought so many favourable cards.

A 118-109 against Trout.
    A 114-114 against Mayweather.
    A 117-111 against Lara.
    A 119-109 against Cotto.
    A 118-110 against Golovkin.

All absolutely insane cards with nothing done about it. Blatant corruption. Good to see 99% of people in boxing calling it exactly what it was. A complete robbery.
    Wow you've taken this one pretty hard haven't you? :D Did GGG deserve the win, probably. Like I've said had him up by a couple of rounds. He was the aggressor, cut off the ring well, forced most of the action and threw more punches. But he was made to miss a lot and landed little of note. Far less accurate than in other fights which was a mix of Canelo's movement and defence and GGG being 35 now and a little slower. 

Canelo's upper body and head movement was good, he didn't take a lot of big shots and his shots in return were far cleaner and more eye catching. It was a classic case of who do you favour the aggressor or the guy on the back foot countering effectively. If Canelo had world class stamina he wins that fight comfortably imo. GGG was relentless in stalking him and forcing the action. The 118-110 card was disgusting but this was far from a robbery. It was a close fight either way and to be crying that it is one of the greatest injustices in boxing is a bit much? Is it because you were so off with your predictions? Canelo was more than a match for him it turns out? That score card was ridiculous but this was no robbery.
    How did you rate GGGs performance overall, forgetting the result. Thought he was more sloppy than usual and struggled to land clean. Wasn't his greatest night imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    Imagine going into fights knowing that all you have to do is win three clear rounds and you'll get a favourable decision. You can't not question the legitimacy of Canelo's career. He's been absolutely blessed as the Golden Boy cash cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,527 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    Imagine going into fights knowing that all you have to do is win three clear rounds and you'll get a favourable decision. You can't not question the legitimacy of Canelo's career. He's been absolutely blessed as the Golden Boy cash cow.

So Canelo shouldn't be entitled to be scored any close/closer rds? That seems to be what you're saying. Many close rds in the fights you referenced earlier.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    Watch the Floyd fight again. There were 4/5 rds that could easily have gone either way. That is almost a draw. Floyd simply had the better winning rds, the clearer 10-9 type rds. That is why we got the draw card, and the hyped narrative that Floyd dominated. His winning rds were clearer.

walshb wrote: »
    Watch the Floyd fight again. There were 4/5 rds that could easily have gone either way. That is almost a draw. Floyd simply had the better winning rds, the clearer 10-9 type rds. That is why we got the draw card, and the hyped narrative that Floyd dominated. His winning rds were clearer.

Canelo didnt land a single clean punch of note on Mayweather draw my arse.

Canelo KO
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Canelo didnt land a single clean punch of note on Mayweather draw my arse.

You are not reading what I write. 4/5 rds and possibly more were difficult to score rds that could lead to a close scored fight. It's the 10-9 system.

Overall Floyd deserved the win for me. But a close scored card didn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Canelo Points
    Any good links to rewatch this today?

Mellor wrote: »
    Any good links to rewatch this today?

try mmacore.

Canelo Points
    I think you are letting your opinion on Canelo up to now and how strongly in favour of GGG you were before hand cloud your judgement on this actual fight. Canelo has been the beneficiary of some questionable score cards no doubt. Last night's 118-110 being one of the worst examples. It's actually a disgrace. I'm in work at the minute (from home thankfully after last night) but if I do my job as badly as Adelaide Byrd did last night I am going to be looked into, disciplined and eventually sacked if I keep it up. It's a joke she can be given the nod in a fight like this, given her history.

Anyway, it's how wide that card was is the story here for me, not that GGG was cruelly robbed. I can see the draw and if that card read 115-113 to Canelo I'd think thought it should have went the other way but can see it. Will watch it again and see what I think but thought Canelo more than held his own and did the neater work but in spurts which made me think he didn't quite do enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    Mentioned before somewhere in this thread about Golovkin having the most idiotic fans but didn't think they were here. Asterisks next to a career and ignoring him in the future because you think he's bought everything? Get a grip Jesus Christ yer embarrassing yourselves lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

GGG KO
    Just watched the fight.

Pure robbery, who the hell scored that fight for Canelo like that, shocking.

GGG was the clear winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Canelo KO
    The fight didn't go quite as i expected, in that i didn't think Canelo would be able to take big shots from Golovkin, other than that it went as i expected, with Canelo landing more of the eye catching shots, but being on the back foot for most of the contest due to not having the power to deter Golovkin from coming forward. Having said that some of the punches he landed would have flattened a lot of opponents.

I thought a draw was a fair enough result. Golovkin might have landed more punches, but Canelo landed more of the eye catching shot. What tremendous head movement he showed and fast hands too throughout the contest to avoid being clobbered too often. If only he didn't need to take breaks in fights he might have won some more of the rounds.
    With this in mind you can make the case that Golovkin won it, but he was not robbed in my view

One other thing, Canelo wants to win, why should he fight the way Golovkin wants and risk being knocked out through a combination of fatigue and absorbing heavy shots flush. lt's up to Triple G to put on the drama show if he wants to win by ko.

If Golovkin does win the rematch, i would be interested to see would he be able to take the power of Kovalev and Stephenson if he fought them. I guess he probably would. It would take someone with Joshua's power to knock him out at this stage!

Canelo KO
    The fight didn't go quite as i expected, in that i didn't think Canelo would be able to take big shots from Golovkin, other than that it went as i expected, with Canelo landing more of the eye catching shots, but being on the back foot for most of the contest due to not having the power to deter Golovkin from coming forward. Having said that some of the punches he landed would have flattened a lot of opponents.

I thought a draw was a fair enough result. Golovkin might have landed more punches, but Canelo landed more of the eye catching shot. What tremendous head movement he showed and fast hands too throughout the contest to avoid being clobbered too often. If only he didn't need to take breaks in fights he might have won some more of the rounds.
    With this in mind you can make the case that Golovkin won it, but he was not robbed in my view

One other thing, Canelo wants to win, why should he fight the way Golovkin wants and risk being knocked out through a combination of fatigue and absorbing heavy shots flush. lt's up to Triple G to put on the drama show if he wants to win by ko.

If Golovkin does win the rematch, i would be interested to see would he be able the the power of Kovalev and Stephenson if he fought them. I guess he probably would. It would take Joshua to knock him out at this stage.
    Agree with you about the fight down to a tee.

I'd imagine whoever wins the rematch goes after Saunders to unify although I read somewhere that if Canelo won last night the WBC belt would become vacant again. Golovkin I think definitely goes after Suanders as it'd be a fine way to retire on, possibly going to the UK and starching another on home soil. Think there's no big fight at 168 for him and the Ward fight is probably a few years too far gone, and if Golovkin thought he couldn't beat him then, then I say he thinks even less now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Canelo KO
    Is there any hope this might finally be the end of Adalaide Byrd? She's been at this craic for years. As soon as I saw her ringside I knew Canelo had at least one judge sown up already.

It was a good fight, pity it's been overshadowed by that card. I thought Golovkin would be better at range, especially once he had established the jab and had Canelo backpedalling. But credit to Canelo, solid defence all night and some lovely countering, especially to the body. Certainly he did the better work, but not for the first time he was being outworked in the majority of rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

If it is BJS next I can see it taking a very long time to get made, then billy pulling out with injury. It'll be 2019 before we see it.

Canelo KO
    Saunders definitely won't be fighting anyone decent until next summer, presuming this rematch is on Cinco De Mayo. The Lemieux fight was going to happen but can't see him risking it now. Lemieux is average but has cannons for arms and one punch is all he could need. Another safe opponent like Monroe to keep his name sweet in the public in March would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Canelo KO
    Henno30 wrote: »
    But credit to Canelo, solid defence all night and some lovely countering, especially to the body. Certainly he did the better work, but not for the first time he was being outworked in the majority of rounds.

He is one of the best counter body punchers in boxing. He is so accurate.

As for Saunders, he will continue to make instagram videos about wanting to face the winner of Triple G and Canelo, but will find a way to avoid making the fight . He is a world class spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    Burial. wrote: »
    I thought I was a degenerate but could only muster a 20. Bad day on Saturday with the Football made me a little more wise than I normally would be...

2HXQ7dD.png

Nice one, butttttttt you really need to start using Betfair. I got it at 37/1 (only had a fiver on) and in the last 10-15 minutes before the fight there were prices in the 40s available. Over the years those differences really add up.

Of course the less said about my retarded decision to cash out for a mere 14 f*cking euro instead of 185 while saying the words "this could go either way" the better.

Canelo KO
    Really wasn't a difficult fight to score.

I just hope in years to come people remember the fight as the clear GGG win that it was. Canelo's legacy needs to have a massive asterisk beside it now. He's bought so many favourable cards.

A 118-109 against Trout.
    A 114-114 against Mayweather.
    A 117-111 against Lara.
    A 119-109 against Cotto.
    A 118-110 against Golovkin.

All absolutely insane cards with nothing done about it. Blatant corruption. Good to see 99% of people in boxing calling it exactly what it was. A complete robbery.

Aaahhhh, consistent as ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

megadodge wrote:
    Of course the less said about my retarded decision to cash out for a mere 14 f*cking euro instead of 185 while saying the words "this could go either way" the better.

Cashed out for 14 in a 5 Euro bet haha that is something I thought only i did!

Canelo Points
    megadodge wrote:

Solid profit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Canelo Points
    I was outraged last night and scored it 118-111 Golovkin!..at least Teddy Atlas agreed!!!
    Re-scored it just now...115-113 Golovkin.
    It's just the judging thing..not sure who else they could've picked but it was the one of the major things people were on about beforehand.If there's so much ****ing doubt about them then don't select the *****.

They both might go balls to the wall in a rematch.

I think the first problem is the ''eye catching shots'' thing.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO

Hahaha, so I'm not the only retard out there??? Can I use the '5 in the morning' excuse?

I've been doing a fair bit of trading in the last two years, so hitting the cashout button just came kind of naturally but even as I had it just done I was thinking "what the f*ck are you doing you idiot".

Advertisement