Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

The money may be too much to turn down for a rematch but GGG will need a KO to win.

Unless it's a neutral venue with neutral judges he wont be given a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Canelo Points
    That 118-110 card is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I had that 116-112 for Golovkin, but any score up to 115-113 Canelo would have been correct imo. I think Golovkin had 5 clear rounds in the middle of the fight and Canelo had a few clear rounds early but last 3 rounds were very close and could have gone either way.

During the fight though, I thought Golovkin was never winning on a scorecard, and was expecting Canelo to win a tight one, but 118-110 is a robbery of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Canelo Points
    I scored it 115-113 to Golovkin myself and thought i could easily have swung to a draw or 115-113 to Canelo depending on how you saw it, but that 118-110 card is just ridiculous, that judge should never be let near a title fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    Good fight.
    Canelo was strong and tough, a tank with an Iron chin as predicted. Also he was very composed on defence.
    GGG did all the work though and I had him winning by 3-4 rounds. I cwn see the argument for a draw all the same.

The 118-110 scorecard was an absolute joke. I had a small wager on GGG by points so am a bit pissed off! At the same stage if Byrd had scored it 115-113 to Canelo nobody would be batting an eyelid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Canelo KO
    It's not beyond the wit of man to implement a much fairer system.. Maybe get 10 people to judge the big fights, and discount the most disparate judges. But I think it's in the interests of the promoters to keep the system as it is, as it gives them a pretty easy means to tinker with the result.

Say the result should have been a win for Golovkin with
    Dave Moretti 114-114
    Dan Trella 115-113 for Golovkin
    Adalaide Byrd 115-113 for Golovkin

All you need to do is buy off one judge to influence the result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

There is no way she could be so incompetent to only give GGG 2 rounds in the fight it just doesnt wash that is nailed on corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Canelo Points
    Very true, seems the outrage is about the distance in rounds from that judge, GGG came forward all night, piled pressure on, but didn't land much clean. I don't believe points are scored for coming forward, just looks good - after just watching it once I believe a draw a fair result, but did expect a narrow GGG decision.

If there is a rematch then GGG goes all out for the ko, hard to believe he's 35

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Canelo KO
    Hopefully that's the end for Byrd.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    Presuming she's been bought. What clown would make it so obvious by posting that scorecard. Have it 115-113 Canelo instead of what it was. Even if she's scared of later knockdowns and gives Canelo rounds in advance it makes no sense. Just another case of a judge not fit for their job in my eyes. Couldn't give a rats arse about sexism but a woman has no place judging a Boxing fight imo. She's made some awful cards in MMA too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,527 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    I was thinking the same thing. This corruption being bandied bout anytime a card is wide during a close fight. Surely if corrupt they'd try and make it somewhat close.

I'll have to rewatch the fight to find out how many rds were close enough to justify a wide score.

Let's say it's 3-0 to Canelo after 3 (I had it 2-1 Canelo), of the 9 remaining rds how many were pickems? I recall a few.

I am not agreeing with Byrd's card, but merely seeing how it could be honest and justified..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Canelo Points
    Burial. wrote: »
    Presuming she's been bought. What clown would make it so obvious by posting that scorecard. Have it 115-113 Canelo instead of what it was. Even if she's scared of later knockdowns and gives Canelo rounds in advance it makes no sense. Just another case of a judge not fit for their job in my eyes. Couldn't give a rats arse about sexism but a woman has no place judging a Boxing fight imo. She's made some awful cards in MMA too.

A woman has no place judging a boxing fight? That's not even funny

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I have no idea how these things are scored - is there any closer winning score that Byrd could have given Canelo that could have resulted in GGG winning the fight? Like a 115-113 or something? Because if not, what's the big deal if she went 118 - 110, if ultimately it has no impact on the result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    snowflaker wrote: »
    A woman has no place judging a boxing fight? That's not even funny

Not trying to be funny. Again couldn't give a rats about being sexist it's just my opinion, wrong or otherwise. I remember hearing a story from Joe Rogan where he mentioned a female judge asking mid fight about the grappling and what was going on...this was MMA obviously. He didn't mention names but it's obviously her.

Canelo KO
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    I have no idea how these things are scored - is there any closer winning score that Byrd could have given Canelo that could have resulted in GGG winning the fight? Like a 115-113 or something? Because if not, what's the big deal if she went 118 - 110, if ultimately it has no impact on the result?

No. One judge scored to GGG and one to Canelo. One a draw. It's a draw no matter what the card scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Canelo KO

Your question doesn't make much sense.

Canelo KO
    Henno30 wrote: »
    Your question doesn't make much sense.

It makes perfect sense. The poster wasn't sure exactly the reason for the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Canelo KO
    walshb wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense. The poster wasn't sure exactly the reason for the draw.

He's asking why 118-110 matters if 115-113 would still have been a draw. Why Byrd turning in a 10-2 card is worse than a 7-5 card.

Canelo KO
    He's asking why 118-110 matters if 115-113 would still have been a draw. Why Byrd turning in a 10-2 card is worse than a 7-5 card.

Read his first question again.

I took it that would a closer "winning card" for Canelo from Byrd have resulted in a GGG win...

I answered that question.

Canelo Points

An aggregate on the score cards would have given Canelo the win if the differences in victory margin mattered

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    Burial. wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny. Again couldn't give a rats about being sexist it's just my opinion, wrong or otherwise. I remember hearing a story from Joe Rogan where he mentioned a female judge asking mid fight about the grappling and what was going on...this was MMA obviously. He didn't mention names but it's obviously her.

That's one female. One of the best refs in Irish amateur boxing is female

Well it was a bit of both actually. Giving any kind of win for Canelo resulted in the draw, so I'm a bit confused as to why such a fuss is being kicked up over the margin, which is arbitrary in the overall result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

GGG KO
    snowflaker wrote: »
    That's one female. One of the best refs in Irish amateur boxing is female

I'd actually like to see how she scored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Let's leave the sexist comments now please.

Canelo KO
    Very similar in many aspects to Leonard-Hagler. Score wise and fight flow wise..

I am not sure how much of a furore there was over the 118-110 card for Leonard. No boards or social media back then, but it sure was talked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Canelo Points

Well it was a bit of both actually.  Giving any kind of win for Canelo resulted in the draw, so I'm a bit confused as to why such a fuss is being kicked up over the margin, which is arbitrary in the overall result.
    Even though the margin of her scorecard makes no odds to the actual outcome it's pretty worrying that she could score it that wide. This was a fight that most had as close, the majority giving it to GGG. So how she can think Canelo won 10 rounds to GGGs 2 is mind boggling. You need some consistency. That is the concern.

Even though the margin of her scorecard makes no odds to the actual outcome it's pretty worrying that she could score it that wide. This was a fight that most had as close, the majority giving it to GGG. So how she can think Canelo won 10 rounds to GGGs 2 is mind boggling. You need some consistency. That is the concern.

But by the very nature of the fight being close, this means there's lots of marginal calls, right? So is it so strange if one person grants the majority of marginal calls to one person? Again, I just tend to just watch the big fights, or a fight with an Irish person in it, so I could be completely naive here!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Canelo Points

But by the very nature of the fight being close, this means there's lots of marginal calls, right?  So is it so strange if one person grants the majority of marginal calls to one person?  Again, I just tend to just watch the big fights, or a fight with an Irish person in it, so I could be completely naive here!
    There were definitely a few rounds that could have gone either way. It makes no sense that one judge can score it 6-6, another give it 7-5 to GGG and then one pretty much go the other way and say Canelo dominated the fight. It was a close fight but even if she gave the close ones all to Canelo there is no way he wins 10. 3G won more than 2 rounds.

Canelo KO
    But by the very nature of the fight being close, this means there's lots of marginal calls, right? So is it so strange if one person grants the majority of marginal calls to one person? Again, I just tend to just watch the big fights, or a fight with an Irish person in it, so I could be completely naive here!

You are not naive..

You could look at rds 4-9. 6 rds in total. Assuming it's not a bad card to give Canelo rds 1-3 and 10-12. That's 6 in total..

Now, how many of the other 6 rds between 4 and 9 could you argue for Canelo? Is there 3-4, maybe?

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    There were definitely a few rounds that could have gone either way. It makes no sense that one judge can score it 6-6, another give it 7-5 to GGG and then one pretty much go the other way and say Canelo dominated the fight. It was a close fight but even if she gave the close ones all to Canelo there is no way he wins 10. 3G won more than 2 rounds.

You at not necessarily saying one dominated the fight with a 10-2 card IF many of the rds were very close and competitive.

Advertisement