Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Canelo Points
    If you did enough to win 10 rounds that's pretty dominant in my book. Even if the rounds were close, the fact you've been given the nod in over 80% of them says you were by far the superior fighter. I get your point but doubt you find many 118-110 that were that close in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,179 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    If you did enough to win 10 rounds that's pretty dominant in my book. Even if the rounds were close, the fact you've been given the nod in over 80% of them says you were by far the superior fighter. I get your point but doubt you find many 118-110 that were that close in reality.

But how are you far superior if they are very close rds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I wouldn't be surprised if she was the only person in the whole world to have that score!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thought Canelo looked seriously impressive in the first few rounds, but equally GGG looked poor and stiff. Took him a few rounds to warm up and find his groove. Both fighters really showing their chins last night, thought there was some lovely crisp punches landed by both fighters.

Unfortunately a great scrap will be remembered for an absolutely bizarre display by the judges...

Will the judges cards be investigated?

Canelo KO
    .ak wrote: »
    Thought Canelo looked seriously impressive in the first few rounds, but equally GGG looked poor and stiff. Took him a few rounds to warm up and find his groove. Both fighters really showing their chins last night, thought there was some lovely crisp punches landed by both fighters.

Unfortunately a great scrap will be remembered for an absolutely bizarre display by the judges...

Will the judges cards be investigated?

Judges or judge?

What exactly is to investigate..?

They look back and realise that a heap of rds could have went either way. Then what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »

But how are you far superior if they are very close rds?
    I'm saying there isn't really a such thing as a close 118-110. Even if the rounds are considered 'close' the fact you have been given 10 of them suggests you are doing something better than your opponent for the vast majority of the fight. That's sustained superiority. Like how can there be a 118-110 in a drawn fight?

Canelo KO
    I'm saying there isn't really a such thing as a close 118-110. Even if the rounds are considered 'close' the fact you have been given 10 of them suggests you are doing something better than your opponent for the vast majority of the fight. That's sustained superiority. Like how can there be a 118-110 in a drawn fight?

I disagree. There can be very evenly fought fights that can result in one man sneaking the rds in most cases. Just sneaking. Not at all clearly superior or dominant. Another judge possibly going the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Judges or judge?

What exactly is to investigate..?

They look back and realise that a heap of rds could have went either way. Then what?

She only gave GGG two rounds... that's insane. He clearly and obviously won more than that ... I get what you mean tho... impossible to "prove".

I wonder if scoring system is flawed.

Canelo KO
    .ak wrote: »
    She only gave GGG two rounds... that's insane. He clearly and obviously won more than that ... I get what you mean tho... impossible to "prove".

I wonder if scoring system is flawed.

Possibly flawed..10-9 can be a clear rd win or a very very tight win..maybe they need to tweak it.

GGG won more than 2 rds for many people, but one could argue he didn't due to many close rds.

Personally I like to look at the overall flow and action. For me GGG won..

I think his lack of speed hurt him more than anything..

He's slow in boxing terms. No real zip/spark from his punches..they can be read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    The WBSS are trying out a fourth judge method in the event of a draw. Basically if the fourth judge's card picks fighter A and one of the other three initial cards picks fighter A whilst having a draw in one of the last two cards then he wins the fight. Basically needs 2 out of 4 and a draw from the other two If somehow this doesn't sort it, it goes to count back where they look at round 12 alone and if one fighter wins the round 2 out of 3 times he wins. Could work for sure. But draws are part of the sport too...

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    NSAC director Bob Bennett to go over the fight with Byrd. Has confidence in her, yet says she had a bad night. Would he not wait until after she and he go over the fight and allow her fight her corner on it before stating that she had a bad night? Ridiculous..

Defends her? Hate to see him attack her..

http://www.boxingscene.com/nsacs-bennett-defends-byrd-over-canelo-golovkin-scorecard--120575

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Watched the fight there this morning and for all the talk and bluster about the McGregor v Mayweather fight, this was much more damaging to the reputation of boxing. How anyone can argue that Adalaide Byrd's scorecard was a genuine reflection of that fight is beyond me and it’s very, very hard not to see an alternative agenda there. It happens so often in boxing too, on every level from amateur to world title fights that it’s little wonder that fans are turning away from it.

That’s not to take anything away from the two fighters but when you really believe that the officials aren’t going to judge the fight fairly, why bother with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    Bad decisions have always been a part of boxing in fact it happened way more in the past when the Mafia often bought fights. I don't think it turns fans away although it can be frustrating. Bottom line is that Byrd's wide score did not change the result (assuming she would have voted Canelo regardless).

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

should have 8 judges.
    2 at each side.
    Then you can compare any two sitting on the same side.
    A fight looks totally different from each side of the ring.
    The TV audience all see the same fight.
    The people ringside and each of the Judges sees it differently from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    That Stephen Smith fella is as big a con as Skip Bayless. Making it up as they go along. And adding the initial of his second name into his full name only makes him more of a prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

hbhook wrote: »
    please man...this is our place..take the McGregor ****e eslewhere..respectfully,,

Respectfully you wouldn't shut your mouth about Canelo-GGG in the May-Mac thread so you've some cheek asking anybody not to make comparisons to May-Mac in this thread.

Like it or not, the narrative all year from the boxing community was that May-Mac was a farce harmful to boxing and Canelo-GGG was real sport that was good for boxing.

In the end, May-Mac ended in a clear cut victory for Floyd with no controversy for the sport of boxing, Canelo-GGG ended in a farce - there are no other words for the 118-110, 113-115, 114-114 sequence of scorecards.

If May-Mac went the distance and ended in a draw, people would rightly be up-in-arms both for Floyd allowing it to happen and for the "corrupt" judges wanting a rematch for the money it brings to the state of Nevada.

TL;DR - You're going to get all these comparisons and analogies with May-Mac for weeks to come when the PPV numbers and Gate for both events come out. The disclosed purses in both fights tell a story too, Floyd $100m, Conor $30m, Canelo $5m, GGG $3m.

You're a complete hypocrite.
    that's a good promo but if y'all into boxing and promos then look no further than gorillaproductions. Hate to say ''itodoso" but even Floyd said the other night he'd like to have someone like 'Tank' on the undercard of this possible fight. Can anyone see this going against GGG v Canelo?
    There'll be that feeling when the opening bell sounds like during the Pac fight. Then...posing for round one...a few serious attempts by Mc in round two. A smirking MW will land some snapping jabs and a right. Mc will back off. Not necessarily from the power but the accuracy. McG will try upping the pace by round three as will MW in response. By round 4 Mc is gassing and MW goes to work. I can see it being stopped by the corner more than anything else. As in, 'you're not getting close and you're getting hit too cleanly''.

I don't have a problem with the whole thing but for the fact that MW has hurt this weekends fight (which RocNation has not promoted) and it may take away from Canelo v GGG in Sept. A real fight. Easy money for the two bastards.
    Dude or Dudete..MayPac is my only experience of a "Mega fight".
    That is to say, a fight that EVERYONE is or was talking about...
    Before the fight over on ringtv.com they did a poll taking in the opinions of about 30 very knowledgeable boxing people.
    It was about 26-4 in favour of Mayweather....
    Now I've detailed my opinion on that fight before but when I saw that before the fight I was thinking "Yeah but anything is possible". And yeah it's true but it's not going to happen. Floyd Mayweather has being practising boxing since he was 4 years old. He happens to be the best defensive fighter of his era.
    If any style is gonna give him trouble it's gonna be the gung ho swarming style. If Mc tries that he's gonna be gassed by the end of round one and picked apart..easily...please? Watch the fight and let's all move on to Canelo v GGG and Paige van Zants next fight.
    Take it for what it is.
    That price just means less buys and more people getting together with their mates. I know why it's that price but if they had tried that with MayPac or try something similar with Canelo v GGG I'll be streaming.
    In fairness all I've seen on the Canelo/GGG thread is reasonable predictions and points of view.
    It would be truly shocking and I don't think I'd mind but I wouldn't fear for boxing. Canelo/GGG 24/7 airs on the same night. It may be that Joshua v Klitschko is headed to Vegas on Nov 11th. By then the 'Money Fight' will be a blurry memory.
    Why has he got such a hard on for boxing? Lots and lots of problems as we know but there's plenty going on in the sport this year. I don't know MMA but there's an awesome fightcard coming up on Sept 9th called 'Super-Fly'. It's a mouth watering event. Check out question and answer number 1 https://www.ringtv.com/504251-dougies-friday-mailbag-116/

Mayweather, McGregor and all the people that don't really understand or care about either sport are what are making this happen. Hey, even I'm making it happen. It's a leave your brain at the door type of thing mostly. I'm not being forced into it. I suppose if he wants to blame someone or be angry at it's Mayweather. He doesn't give a **** and purposely scheduled the fight to **** with Canelo/GGG
    Idk, maybe it hit a sore spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Really wasn't a difficult fight to score.

I just hope in years to come people remember the fight as the clear GGG win that it was. Canelo's legacy needs to have a massive asterisk beside it now. He's bought so many favourable cards.

A 118-109 against Trout.
    A 114-114 against Mayweather.
    A 117-111 against Lara.
    A 119-109 against Cotto.
    A 118-110 against Golovkin.

All absolutely insane cards with nothing done about it. Blatant corruption. Good to see 99% of people in boxing calling it exactly what it was. A complete robbery.
    To be crying that it is one of the greatest injustices in boxing is a bit much? Is it because you were so off with your predictions? Canelo was more than a match for him it turns out? That score card was ridiculous but this was no robbery.
    How did you rate GGGs performance overall, forgetting the result. Thought he was more sloppy than usual and struggled to land clean. Wasn't his greatest night imo.
    I wasn't really that off with my prediction. I picked the correct winner for a start. Canelo's slow feet, average power at the weight and lack of stamina was his undoing which is what i was anticipating. I thought he'd struggle to take GGG's power in the latter rounds and got that 100% wrong to be fair. Canelo's chin clearly holds up at middleweight.

Thought GGG completely controlled the fight and I agree it wasn't anywhere near his best performance. Head hunted far too much. Early body work would've had Canelo struggling in those latter rounds much more. No idea why GGG completely disregarded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Draw
    Burial. wrote: »
    That Stephen Smith fella is as big a con as Skip Bayless. Making it up as they go along. And adding the initial of his second name into his full name only makes him more of a prick.

Agreed just funny seeing Teddy Atlas lose his ****

GGG KO
    DJ5rSaAV4AEzGML.jpg
    Official Scorecards here. Forget about Adelaide Byrd. Trella scoring the 7th to Canelo is actually what affected the result. Wow. How can you give Canelo the 7th?

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    You were completely dismissive of Canelo's chances. You thought he would be dominated. He was far from dominated. Very competitively fought fight. Why you cannot just admit this is odd.

If anything it was those picking Canelo that got it more correct. I picked him in a close close fight. You picked GGG by domination.

In my view my pick and some other's picks for Canelo were far more accurate when you watch what happened.

Canelo Points
    Burial. wrote: »
    Mentioned before somewhere in this thread about Golovkin having the most idiotic fans but didn't think they were here. Asterisks next to a career and ignoring him in the future because you think he's bought everything? Get a grip Jesus Christ yer embarrassing yourselves lads.
    Putting some words in my mouth there. Canelo could quite easily have four losses on his record (I think he won the Trout fight for the record but it was uber close). Instead he has one SD loss to the best fighter of the generation. He's very very lucky to be a Golden Boy fighter and the benefit of the doubt in every single close fight. Obviously it's something that has to be taken into account with his legacy. It's a massive deal.

Canelo Points
    You were completely dismissive of Canelo's chances. You thought he would be dominated. He was far from dominated. Very competitively fought fight. Why you cannot just admit this is odd.

If anything it was those picking Canelo that got it more correct. I picked him in a close close fight. You picked GGG by domination.

In my view my pick and some other's picks for Canelo were far more accurate when you watch what happened.
    Please quote me on where I said GGG would dominate? I actually made the point that it wasn't going to be easy at all.

Canelo Points
    megadodge wrote: »
    Really wasn't a difficult fight to score.

I just hope in years to come people remember the fight as the clear GGG win that it was. Canelo's legacy needs to have a massive asterisk beside it now. He's bought so many favourable cards.

A 118-109 against Trout.
    A 114-114 against Mayweather.
    A 117-111 against Lara.
    A 119-109 against Cotto.
    A 118-110 against Golovkin.

All absolutely insane cards with nothing done about it. Blatant corruption. Good to see 99% of people in boxing calling it exactly what it was. A complete robbery.

Aaahhhh, consistent as ever!!
    I am yet to see anyone in boxing say Canelo won or even that a draw was fair. Can you point me in the direction of a few?

Canelo KO
    Please quote me on where I said GGG would dominate? I actually made the point that it wasn't going to be easy at all.

Backtracking. You were almost irritated and annoyed that some were arguing a good case for Canelo to win.

You were next to certain that GGG could not lose...

He drew. And I think you are being disingenuous in saying that he won as you thought he would. You were expecting a clearer display of superiority. You didn't get it because Canelo was every bit as good in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,072 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

there are a few olympic sports where they do this, perhaps they should consider it in boxing as well....

have 5 or 7 judges. discard the 2 or 4 outliers. there's your fair result.

Canelo KO
    there are a few olympic sports where they do this, perhaps they should consider it in boxing as well....

have 5 or 7 judges. discard the 2 or 4 outliers. there's your fair result.

It can never be "fair" due to people and subjectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,072 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

It can never be "fair" due to people and subjectivity.

well as fair as fair can be without implementing some sort of computerised automatic scoring system

Canelo Points

Backtracking. You were almost irritated and annoyed that some were arguing a good case for Canelo to win.

You were next to certain that GGG could not lose...

He drew. And I think you are being disingenuous in saying that he won as you thought he would. You were expecting a clearer display of superiority. You didn't get it because Canelo was every bit as good in there.
    I said he didn't win as I thought he would. I predicted a stoppage.

He did show a clear display of superiority. He won comfortably. Saying Canelo was every bit as good is pure madness.

• Advertisement

GGG KO
    I am yet to see anyone in boxing say Canelo won or even that a draw was fair. Can you point me in the direction of a few?

The fightscore app had it 115-114 GGG (10th a draw) as close as you can get really.

Advertisement