Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    Morrison J wrote: »
    How good a fight it is will be down to GGG I'd suspect. I wouldn't be surprised if he fights behind the jab against the smaller man and breaks Canelo down similar to the Lemieux fight. His jab is another clear advantage imo. Golovkin's definitely superior.

The jab can only work for him if Canelo allows it. Canelo for me has a very good jab. Range, snap and power, and it sets up his combinations beautifully.

Subtle movement from Canelo in and out and side to side whilst also mixing up his attacks from mid range...

I give the speed of punch delivery advantage to Canelo. I see it as a possible game changer.

If I had to put it down to one area alone it would be the impact of Canelo's shots when they land on GGG. They land clean and they have a real effect then it's all to play for.

Of course, the reverse is true as well. Can Canelo take the shots of GGG, and if he can't, can he avoid and ride the shots enough to allow him to fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Canelo Points
    Another reason why Hearn thinks it's gonna tank in the UK, subscribers to BoxNation will have to pony up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

walshb wrote: »
    Push the boat out. You know you want to.

That's some boat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    MorrisonJ, I don't mean any disrespect in the following, just in case it seems that way.

I think you've gone down the road many boxing fans go down every generation or so. You've fallen for the whole 'unbeatable killer monster' that destroys everyone in front of him, is impervious to pain and just can't see anyone beating him. Previous examples would be Sonny Liston, George Foreman, Mike Tyson and Gerard McClellan. We all know what happened to them and two to fighters less accomplished than Alvarez.

Throughout boxing history the very best fighters are never these types. They are invariably the real smart slicksters. Now, I'm not saying Golovkin is just a crude slugger (none of the aforementioned were either), he's not, but he's far from unbeatable. His defense is below average, his speed is ok and his opposition has hardly been inspiring (through no fault of his own I admit).

Canelo is faster, more accurate and has a far better defense than Golovkin. He also hits hard, is very physically strong and has an excellent chin. In spite of what you think I don't believe Golovkin's jab is any better than Canelo's. Both jabs are very good, but to try and compare Lemieux and Alverez is just nuts. They are about as far apart as it's possible to be. This fight will NOT resemble that - in ANY way.

Like the poker player who only concentrates on his own hand, you seem to concentrate on all Golovkin's strengths but forget about Canelo's. Alvarez is an outstanding counterpuncher. What's the best style for a counterpuncher? Golovkin's! And there's no 'ifs' or 'buts' about that.

Having said all that, I think this is a real hard fight to call. It's 50/50 in my opinion, but Golovkin's excellent engine and obvious power, compared to Canelo's less than stellar output are perfectly valid reasons to select the Khazak.

But the biggest obstacle to a Canelo success is - Walshb is predicting him to win!

Canelo Points
    Idk, the jab worked against the constant motion of Jacobs. Jacobs is bigger and stronger than Saul is he not? We'll all watch that one a couple more times in the coming weeks. It's kind of worrisome too that he couldn't put away JCCjr. Although he's a tough nut. Williams, Khan and Cotto...it's just like..He's improved in that time as anyone would but someone just like Lemieux should have been chosen instead.

I just realised I'm focusing on one of GGG's strenghts which is exactly what you were on about!!
    GGG is a pressure boxer-puncher but I think he'll be moving Canelo around. I do like Canelo's counter punching but I think it'll be harder than he thinks to land...obviously!
    Roll on Sept!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    I don't think GGG is unbeatable whatsoever. If the Ward fight had happened I'd probably have picked Ward to beat him. I scored the Jacobs fight to Jacobs when watching live only to score it to GGG on second viewing. Really close fight. It'll take a special fighter to beat him but I don't see him as some kind of unstoppable force at all. I just think he's all wrong for Canelo.

I don't get for the life of me why Canelo's stock has risen so much after beating two punchbags in Smith and Chavez and the chinny, undersized Khan while everyone is turned off GGG after he beats Jacobs and Brook. Do people honestly believe Canelo disposes of both those fighters as well as GGG did? He doesn't, yet people are using those fights as a stick to beat GGG with. The media narrative has been spun in a particular way to make people think this fight is a 50/50 when in fact it isn't at all and everyone is buying it.

Where is the evidence that Canelo has an excellent chin? Its probably good but we've little idea really do we? I've seen him hit clean by Floyd, Cotto, Matthew Hatton etc. No murderous punchers and he's usually 15+ pounds heavier on fight night compared to his opponent. Which is a reason I also think his big punch power image is a bit of a myth too. You say he's physically strong? Not compared to GGG unfortunately. Maybe compared to the Liam Smith or Amir Khan we're used to seeing him fight.

I'm not really massively comparing Canelo to the more one dimensional Lemieux at all but I can still see the potential similarities. Golovkin breaking him down with the jab, Canelo not having the movement to get out of range, unable to get inside without getting stuck with a jab, Canelo becoming gun shy and getting destroyed from distance etc. Could very easily resemble it quite closely.

Canelo will want to pop inside to do his better punches, landing his left hook and right uppercut before getting out quick. GGG stopped Lemieux doing this with the stiff jab and left hook to the body. Why do you think Canelo can get in there? He isn't particularly sudden with his movement and will be less so after walking into a Golovkin jab or two. No previous GGG opponent has properly gotten into the pocket with consistency. Golovkin is an absolute master of spacing and footwork. I can't see how Canelo has joy in there. Canelo has a terrible time with fighters with an accurate jab like Trout, Lara and Mayweather. He has a hard time getting past it and Golovkin's jab is the best he's ever faced.

Eventually in the fight, Canelo is going to tire and stand against the ropes like he always does and GGG is going to tee off on him and hurt him. Could be a carbon copy of the Rubio KO.

There's a breakdown of why GGG wins without a single mention of the fact Canelo moves like he's in sand. The chief reason I think he'll struggle. Excellent engine and obvious power are other reasons but I just see the matchup favouring GGG in so many ways. I think Golovkin and Sanchez know it too, they've wanted this fight for years whereas Canelo has delayed it as long as he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Canelo Points
    Thanks MorrisonJ & Megadodge, ye have cleared that up nicely, the winner will obviously be Gol........ Can........... damn it :p

Canelo KO
    I think GGGs jab is getting a bit overrated compared to Canelo's. Both have excellent jabs, and for me Canelo can offset GGGs jab by jabbing with him and timing it better. It is faster and snappier.

Most of GGGs hard work and impacting works follows his jab. Canelo can neutralise this to a degree making it that bit more difficult for GGG to simply jab his way in and do damage. If GGG is being hit clean with Canelo's jab then GGG will need another way to get close to unload.

Canelo will need to be careful that GGG does not time his jab with overhand heavy rights.

And yet again, the key is power and hardness for Canelo. His jabs, like all his shots need to be heavy and discouraging.

Canelo KO
    Morrison J wrote: »
    I don't think GGG is unbeatable whatsoever. If the Ward fight had happened I'd probably have picked Ward to beat him. I scored the Jacobs fight to Jacobs when watching live only to score it to GGG on second viewing. Really close fight. It'll take a special fighter to beat him but I don't see him as some kind of unstoppable force at all. I just think he's all wrong for Canelo.

I didn't see how anyone scored that fight for Jacobs, who pretty much did nothing but move away the first 6-7 rds. He had pockets of success in the later rds, but these being overplayed.

I'd also be 95 percent sure that Ward beats GGG @ 168 lbs....

Canelo Points
    Most of GGGs hard work and impacting works follows his jab. Canelo can neutralise this to a degree making it that bit more difficult for GGG to simply jab his way in and do damage. If GGG is being hit clean with Canelo's jab then GGG will need another way to get close to unload.

But I'm starting to think it'll be Canelo coming forward. GGG isn't going to look to jab his way in. He's superior on the outside so he'll want to keep it there. Canelo will try to get inside to get off his combinations but I don't see him getting inside Golovkin's jab. I see it playing out the other way round as you do.

I think GGG can win both ways but the obvious way is to surely not walk into the counter puncher. Like he did against Lemieux, stay on the back foot and tee off on Canelo as he tries to come into the pocket.

In the Lemieux fight he won by boxing off the backfoot using his jab.
    In the Jacobs fight he boxed coming forward using his jab.
    In the Brook fight he brawled.

I think Canelo will fight more like Lemieux than Jacobs or Brook because he doesn't have as good an outside game. GGG fights off the backfoot and slowly breaks him down I think.

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    I didn't see how anyone scored that fight for Jacobs, who pretty much did nothing but move away the first 6-7 rds. He had pockets of success in the later rds, but these being overplayed.

I'd also be 95 percent sure that Ward beats GGG @ 168 lbs....

Plenty of people scored it to Jacobs and I can see why. Gave Golovkin fits in some rounds turning southpaw. Did some very good work on the outside off the backfoot at times. GGG won it for me but definitely a close fight.

Yeah I'd favour Ward too but it'd be a more competitive fight than that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Canelo Points
    I like both fighters as individuals.

I'd have to go for Golovkin though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Canelo Points
    hbhook wrote: »
    https://gfycat.com/FairDisfiguredAntipodesgreenparakeet
    GGG can take a shot to the kisser anyway. I haven't seen Alvarez hurt in a long while.

What about the time he took a punch (albeit not full force) in the face from Geale and in the same motion, knocked Geale out.

giphy.gif

Canelo Points
    It's gas. For a split second Danny gets to admire his shot!

Canelo KO
    Bit of a dampener for this but BT-Boxnation looking to PPV this one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Canelo Points
    snowflaker wrote: »

Like a lot of those type of article's the kind of passive aggressive tone towards McGregor is for me quite baffling.

It's mayweathers and in effect boxings fault that these 2 fights are somewhat vying for attention. Mayweather and showtime held all the cards but money overshadowed all else. As Steve bunce rightly said: "it's boxing that needs to get it's house in order".

I for one can't wait for GGG vs Canelo and it matters little what events precede it.

Canelo KO
    I said it from the start. Mayweather is the con man-spoofer here trying to sell this sh1t as a legit boxing match..

Anyway, off topic..

Canelo replied no comment when asked about the Floyd/Conor fight...

Bit odd/strange that he had nothing to say..

GGG gave his verdict...it's a show, an event. Not a boxing match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Canelo Points
    Well I wouldn't blame mcGrergor, boxing needs to sort its house out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Canelo KO
    I said it from the start. Mayweather is the con man-spoofer here trying to sell this sh1t as a legit boxing match..

Anyway, off topic..

That's De La Hoya's doing no doubt.

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    Oscar doesn't know if he's coming or going but in fairness to him he made the fight. I was only ever annoyed about the whole ''we don't **** around'' stuff from Canelo. Only to **** around. I was also slightly worried there'd be more ****ery when Golden Boy insisted that Triple G not face Billy dickhead Saunders in Kazakhstan this summer.
    I still see GGG as the favourite but Alvarez has a better chance now that he did 18 months ago..obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭badabing106

Anyway, off topic..

Compared to the mayweather mcgregor fight, nobody is interested in this fight. Canelo has been avoiding this fight for years now. He waited too long. People lose interest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Compared to the mayweather mcgregor fight, nobody is interested in this fight. Canelo has been avoiding this fight for years now. He waited too long. People lose interest

Probably a better fight now than a few years ago. It will be closer now but still se GGG getting a knockout win

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Canelo Points

I dunno, its not exactly in the realms of Mayweather/Pacquiao for drawn out but it is about time alright. Mayweather timed his fight very purposefully but if he hadn't there would be plenty more interest in a genuine super fight. Its been swept away by the media with the hype, as was intended but it doesn't change the fact that it is THE fight to look forward to.

I have a few issues with Canelo (mostly weight related!) though I am a big fan and can't wait for this one, GGG has looked a little off to my viewing in his last couple of fights. I expect this to be close, gonna continue to enjoy my seat on the fence for another little bit.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO

Ahh here!!!

Canelo KO

The whole boxing world is far more interested in this fight than the farce that is Aug 26...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

GGG KO
    The whole boxing world is far more interested in this fight than the farce that is Aug 26...

20543773_1377010662394566_2714770211389348302_o.jpg?oh=6c6c7c215378cf39ba3f2fa3c311128e&oe=5A2DE311

Preach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    But but but Lad Bible articles have to count for something right?

Kind of like Kovalev/Ward, the fight kind of crept up out of nowhere and bang it was fight week and you started to get real excited. No sense of dragging on wanting it over and done with like so many super fights' buildup. I feel the same about this. I haven't put a tonne of thought into it, which is a good thing. Lack or limited media coverage is always a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

GGG KO
    Burial. wrote: »
    But but but Lad Bible articles have to count for something right?

Kind of like Kovalev/Ward, the fight kind of crept up out of nowhere and bang it was fight week and you started to get real excited. No sense of dragging on wanting it over and done with like so many super fights' buildup. I feel the same about this. I haven't put a tonne of thought into it, which is a good thing. Lack or limited media coverage is always a good thing.

Its refreshing to have a fight like this coming up, well to me it is anyway.

GGG is amazing to watch, and Canelo is vastly improved over the past 3 years. Its a bloody cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    Gintonious wrote: »
    Its refreshing to have a fight like this coming up, well to me it is anyway.

GGG is amazing to watch, and Canelo is vastly improved over the past 3 years. Its a bloody cracker.

Definitely a treat. Besides the expected crowd online saying Canelo is fighting Golovkin years after he should, it's all been positive from the little I have seen about the fight. Like Brook/Spence it's a real 50/50 fight in my opinion, or 60/40 at the very most.

With the circus show taking all the coverage and limelight you'd expect both lads to be putting in some serious work in the gym with no distractions and very little media obligations and that's fantastic.

Advertisement