Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Canelo Points
    It did practically the same buys as Canelo v Chavez Jr. It's a flop for the promoters.

I didn't say the fight wasn't good, and I didn't say anything about MMA

And what I'm saying is that the promoters will have made over 100million in revenue. That's not a flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Still don't understand what it has to do with MMA events. Boxing is much bigger than MMA. (By the way, McGregor Diaz 2 outsold it)

You can't compare it with the likes of Tyson Lewis fights. Much easier to buy PPV these days.

Don't see why yer getting all offended, I just stated it's a flop for the promoters.

Canelo Points
    Still don't understand what it has to do with MMA events. Boxing is much bigger than MMA. (By the way, McGregor Diaz 2 outsold it)

You can't compare it with the likes of Tyson Lewis fights. Much easier to buy PPV these days.

Don't see why yer getting all offended, I just stated it's a flop for the promoters.

You are in here trolling or doing your best to.

You are right Boxing is much bigger than MMA.

McGregor/Diaz 2 had more buys, but it's much cheaper. Total revenue GGG V Alvarez did 20million + more.

Much easier to buy PPV now? It's the exact same as it was back then. Ring cable company, order fight.

Again 100m in revenue ... not a flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    Nobody is offended. Just discussing the whole flop term being bandied about.

Live Gate and ppv buys and revenue generated it was not a flop.

Yeah, there was HD streaming available on your mobile phone, laptop, smart tv back in Tysons day.. smarten up will you.

I'm not trolling, I bought the bloody fight! Simply saying it was a flop, maybe flop is the wrong word, but it was certainly expected to sell a lot more.

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    Yeah, there was HD streaming available on your mobile phone, laptop, smart tv back in Tysons day.. smarten up will you.

I'm not trolling, I bought the bloody fight! Simply saying it was a flop, maybe flop is the wrong word, but it was certainly expected to sell a lot more.

100% trolling ... roll on!

Canelo KO
    maybe flop is the wrong word,

Finally!

Who am I trolling, Oscar dela hoya? I gave my opinion that it didn't sell as well as it was expected, ye are giving yer opinion that it done ok. Get a grip.

Canelo KO
    Just on the whole Tyson comparison as regards this and that not being available back in Tyson's day..

Yes, but in reverse, with all the "entertainment" available and at our fingertips today the world has so much more choice, and that can really effect sales...

Paying for events today can be circumvented a whole lot more than years gone by.

Just look at the music industry...

This is not different. So, Canelo-GGG not doing Tyson's numbers is a very valid point.

Canelo-GGG doing 1.3 million buys today is every bit as impressive as Tyson's 1.9 million back in the 90s.

What was the expectation PPV wise for this? I said above 1 million. I thought it could get close to 2 million.

Agree there Walsh, also, no illegal streaming available back then, you can be sure A LOT more than 1.3m actually watched the fight.

I don't know what the expectation of the promoters was but you can be sure it was more than 1.3. I saw 2.5 to 3 mentioned a fair bit in the build up on various shows and forums. I thought it would do a LOT better myself, being the first genuine super fight and most anticipated fight in donkeys years besides MayPac.

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    Agree there Walsh, also, no illegal streaming available back then, you can be sure A LOT more than 1.3m actually watched the fight.

I don't know what the expectation of the promoters was but you can be sure it was more than 1.3. I saw 2.5 to 3 mentioned a fair bit in the build up on various shows and forums. I thought it would do a LOT better myself, being the first genuine super fight and most anticipated fight in donkeys years besides MayPac.

The over under on the event was 1.2m

De La Hoya as he always does spouted some ****e about 3m when the event was announced first.

At the end of the day 100m in revenue will never be considered "a flop"

Dela hoya expected 3m an it done 1.3. That's a flop for Oscar? You seem to think I'm taking a dig at the sport of boxing itself or something? As I said, I bought the fight.

And i didn't once mention the money it made, which is massive! Just saying it didnt sell as well as expected.

Canelo Points
    Dela hoya expected 3m an it done 1.3. That's a flop for Oscar? You seem to think I'm taking a dig at the sport of boxing itself or something? As I said, I bought the fight.

I do ... as most others who have commented here seem to think as well. Perhaps you should look at your wording if a number of people get the same impression from your initial statement.

Canelo KO

Anything above 2 million as an expectation is off I feel... I said two at a stretch. 1.3 sounds fair given the two names, and given the fact that folks forked out 3 weeks earlier for the circus!

No one here got upset with my comments only You? Walsh an sweet science gave reasons why they think it wasn't a flop. You go off raving about trolling and mma ppvs.. You're a wee bit sensitive :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Lets not forget GGG isnt a ppv attraction . 1.3 million is very good figures .

Obviously not for Oscar . We all know everything a promoter says has to be taken with a pinch of salt though. I'd say with Conor/Mayweather happening 3 weeks beforehand he is quietly happy with the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Canelo Points
    Lets not forget GGG isnt a ppv attraction . 1.3 million is very good figures.

GGG fighting the likes of Marco Antonio Rubio isn't a ppv attraction but fighting a world class and well known opponent in Canelo who might beat him or school him or expose him as a hype job as so many outlets were trying to portray; he most definitely is a ppv attraction. Especially when this is juxtaposed with the equally polarizing views that ggg is Wreck it Ralph in kazak form.

Put simply at this moment in time Canelo and GGG fighting each other is the only middleweight bout that sells well at all unless ya start pulling big names from other divisions into the equation.

So in my mind neither man is remotely responsible for hampering ppv buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    Shabby enough considering it was "the fight of the century" "the best against the best" bla bla bla

AJ v Vlad did 1.1 million in the UK alone.

Canelo v Chavez Jr did over 1 million

A flop.

Almost a full month after "the circus" which every boxing fan in the world watched.

I didn't watch it.

Went to bed, woke up the following morning, checked my Betfair balance and said a silent 'thank you' to the idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

GGG fighting the likes of Marco Antonio Rubio isn't a ppv attraction but fighting a world class and well known opponent in Canelo who might beat him or school him or expose him as a hype job as so many outlets were trying to portray; he most definitely is a ppv attraction. Especially when this is juxtaposed with the equally polarizing views that ggg is Wreck it Ralph in kazak form.

Put simply at this moment in time Canelo and GGG fighting each other is the only middleweight bout that sells well at all unless ya start pulling big names from other divisions into the equation.

So in my mind neither man is remotely responsible for hampering ppv buys.

I didnt mean it that way - i think 1.3 million is a very good number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    Apparently the 1.3 figure was from the LA Tribune of all places. GBP denying that figure wholeheartedly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Canelo Points
    I didnt mean it that way - i think 1.3 million is a very good number

Well the statement...
    Lets not forget GGG isnt a ppv attraction . 1.3 million is very good figures.

Is pretty cut and dry.

It's attributing blame to Golovkin for the fight not exceeding 1.3million ppv buys regardless of whether 1.3million is very good or not.

That's simply wrong in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

1.3 million in the US and third highest gate of all time with a Mexican who speaks no English and a Russian/Kazakh who speaks very little English. I think it was a very good number all things considered. Golovkin's previous 2 PPV fights didn't even break 200k.

Canelo Points
    The old adage "takes 2 to tango" springs to mind.

I don't see anyone disputing the lack of interest in both men's prior fights however this particular fight sold so well because it was the two best current middleweights participating, it was a tough fight to call and to top it off both men have/had offensively orientated styles. Also both are supposed to be at their peak ...(debateable)

However trying to appropriate credit to an individual for being the attraction is an illogical argument as this particular fight was sold solely on the premise that both men were examples of the best finally fighting the best in the mw division something which doesn't happen all that often. It needed the 2 to make it a ppv attraction not just one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,301 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Canelo Points

McGregor/Diaz 2 had more buys, but it's much cheaper. Total revenue GGG V Alvarez did 20million + more.
    UFC events are a bit cheaper, but 300,000 more buys would probably balance it.
    I'd say McGregor Diaz took more on the PPV.
    Canelo v GGG a bigger gate.

Certainly not a flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    GGG just announced the fight is set for May 5th.
    Some real good fight to look forward to already this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

GGG KO
    GGG just announced the fight is set for May 5th.
    Some real good fight to look forward to already this year.

Hope it's a better fight than the first.
    I was a bit disappointed with both fighters last time.

Canelo KO
    blade1 wrote: »
    Hope it's a better fight than the first.
    I was a bit disappointed with both fighters last time.

I enjoyed fight 1, but I sort of see what you mean..

It was a little inconsistent as regards quality action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

GGG KO
    walshb wrote: »
    I enjoyed fight 1, but I sort of see what you mean..

It was a little inconsistent as regards quality action.

I have a very simple way of gauging how I feel about a fight.
    If it's a cracker I'll watch it again (several times) ie. Barrera/Morales 1.
    Even after all these years I still throw it on every so often.
    Good fights IMO,I'll always watch at least a second time.

No urge at all to watch GGG/Canelo a second time.

Advertisement