Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

GGG KO
    Its a good sign that it is sold out anyway, although I hope it does well with PPV numbers as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Canelo Points
    I hope it does to. Will Box Nation have it? They usually show GGG

Canelo Points
    Box Nation PPV apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    snowflaker wrote: »
    Box Nation PPV apparently

PPV?

Be their first ever time to PPV an event....

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »
    PPV?

Be their first ever time to PPV an event....

http://www.boxnation.com/boxing-matches/canelo-alvarez-v-gennady-golovkin/

Yep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Canelo Points
    But I want to know if this is in partnership with BT and if so can I get a one-off buy like I can with Skuyy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Canelo KO
    So if McGregor beats Mayweather, then he gets to fight GGG for the Masters Of The Universe title, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Canelo Points
    Cannot wait for this. Can't see past GGG, i think as good as Canelo is he is not comfortable fighting every minute of every round and GGG will get to him at some stage in the mid rounds. I felt GGG was lucky against Jacobs but in that fight Jacobs had the reach and lateral movement that i don't think Canelo has.

Canelo Points
    It probably costs a lot but you'd think GB would release a short snippet tv spot. Even an international spot..''Canelo vs Triple G for middleweight 'Supremacy'. September 16th''.

People, I know I should probably start another thread but somehow I don't think it would get much traction. With that said, let's spare a moment of appreciation for Juan Manuel Marquez. I remember watching the Katsidis fight almost most screaming at the the man to get up and fight on...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFWg0azAcA...''If you watch Juan Manuel Marquez's face, you can almost hear him thinking his way through the fight''.

Also, Vasyl Lomachenko returns tonight in what is really a stay-busy fight. But try to check him out if y'all haven't already!!

And Klitschko! Damn, I forgot about Wlad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

If Brook had quite a bit of success its hard to see Canelo not winning the early rounds, GGG has peaked imo hasnt looked outstanding lately so Canelo on points would be my view here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    Gamebred wrote: »
    If Brook had quite a bit of success its hard to see Canelo not winning the early rounds, GGG has peaked imo hasnt looked outstanding lately so Canelo on points would be my view here.
    The flaw in that argument is that Canelo can't fight like Brook or Jacobs though.

Canelo KO
    Morrison J wrote: »
    The flaw in that argument is that Canelo can't fight like Brook or Jacobs though.

And they can't fight like him..

Not sure what your point is..

Canelo Points
    I'm not going to go so far as to say that he let Brook or Willie Monroe jr hit him but he was clearly unconcerned by their power.

Canelo KO
    hbhook wrote: »
    I'm not going to go so far as to say that he let Brook or Willie Monroe jr hit him but he was clearly unconcerned by their power.

But you know, a couple clean Brook shots stopped him in his tracks and got his attention. Maybe only a slight bit harder and cleaner could do something else?

Canelo Points
    But you know, a couple clean Brook shots stopped him in his tracks and got his attention. Maybe only a slight bit harder and cleaner could do something else?
    Oh yeah but he's gonna respect Canelo and try not to be so open. Canelo can do damage for sure.

Canelo KO
    hbhook wrote: »
    Oh yeah but he's gonna respect Canelo and try not to be so open. Canelo can do damage for sure.

Well, I don't see GGG suddenly turning into Toney on defense!

Canelo Points
    And they can't fight like him..

Not sure what your point is..

That Canelo suits GGG a lot better. Canelo doesn't have the legs to expose GGG's weaknesses like Jacobs did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭qwabercd

GGG KO
    Any decent previews or 24/7 type episodes for this? Couldn't see much on YouTube.

Canelo Points
    qwabercd wrote: »
    Any decent previews or 24/7 type episodes for this? Couldn't see much on YouTube.

The 24/7 debuts the same night as Mayweather-McGregor I'm pretty sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Gamebred wrote: »

I thought Brook had some success but not quite a bit of. I thought GGG was in control for the majority of their fight but there was a period where Brook got a couple of good shots in.

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    Kell Brook and Danny Jacobs are going to make me so much money. Rotten the minds of so many people in relation to this fight. Canelo brings a completely different skill set to the table. He won't win rounds from the outside. He's going to have to get into the pocket and GGG is going to stuff him with a jab every single time.

The Jacobs that fought GGG probably beats Canelo and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    Kell Brook and Danny Jacobs are going to make me so much money. Rotten the minds of so many people in relation to this fight. Canelo brings a completely different skill set to the table. He won't win rounds from the outside. He's going to have to get into the pocket and GGG is going to stuff him with a jab every single time.

The Jacobs that fought GGG probably beats Canelo and all.

You see, this is one of the reasons I give Canelo a good chance - his countering off opponent's jabs. It is superb!

He is an outstanding counter-puncher and the type of fighter he fights best against are those that come straight at him. That's exactly what Golovkin will be doing. Coming straight at him. With his rather porous defense. He's going to get hit and hit often. And so what if he has an iron chin. Getting hit loses rounds. And getting hit often by a hard puncher gives rise to a more cautious approach.
    He won't win rounds from the outside.

Really? Why not? Golovkin isn't some sort of master boxer and Alvarez's skill have long been VERY underestimated - though that has slowly being changing in the last few years.

I have no problem with people picking Golovkin to win, as no matter what happens he's going to be coming for 12 rounds, but it's the whole "GGG easy" that makes me wonder how forensically people actually look at matchups. This won't be easy for either fighter and if nothing else please remember one thing - Alvarez is a Mexican. From a family of Mexican boxers. These people are the hardest bast*rds on the planet. They just don't back down. And the idea that blowhards on the internet have been calling him a coward and all the other crap that he has had to listen to for the last 18 months or so will have him ready to fight a grizzly on the night. When the fight was announced in the ring after the Chavez fight, as Buncey rightfully pointed out Canelo was postively BRISTLING. I thought he was going to go at it there and then. His Mexican manlihood is on the line here and that passion that Mexicans fight with will be in evidence no matter what happens.

This is going to be a great 50/50 fight.

Canelo Points
    Buncey? Jesus Christ...anyone with a brain who's been following this fight knows it won't be a walk in the park and that's down to GB picking the right time for it to happen. Which in hindsight I totally agree with. BUT, Canelo has fought Cotto (Not a middleweight), Amir Khan, nuff said, Liam Smith (154lbs), and Julio 'I made the weight so I don't lose any cash' Chavez jr....C'mon?
    I'll be totally honest, I thought Chavez jr would give him a fight....No, but he's in a fight on Sept.
    Absolute fair play to Alvarez if he gets the win but he's gonna get beat.

Canelo Points
    megadodge wrote: »
    You see, this is one of the reasons I give Canelo a good chance - his countering off opponent's jabs. It is superb!

He is an outstanding counter-puncher and the type of fighter he fights best against are those that come straight at him. That's exactly what Golovkin will be doing. Coming straight at him. With his rather porous defense. He's going to get hit and hit often. And so what if he has an iron chin. Getting hit loses rounds. And getting hit often by a hard puncher gives rise to a more cautious approach.

His countering against undersized opponents who he has 10+ pounds on yeah. He's gonna be far more reluctant to mix it with GGG once he feels his power.

I also don't agree that GGG will come straight at him. I think GGG fights a very methodical fight, for the first six rounds or so anyway. Wears Canelo down and eventually takes him late. Would be shocked if he goes straight at Canelo. When
    Canelo does his usual thing of tiring late on and sitting against the ropes it will be a different story and GGG will put it on him good and proper. If Liam Smith can push Canelo up against the ropes and land on him I can't wait to see GGG do the same.
    Really? Why not? Golovkin isn't some sort of master boxer and Alvarez's skill have long been VERY underestimated - though that has slowly being changing in the last few years.

I have no problem with people picking Golovkin to win, as no matter what happens he's going to be coming for 12 rounds, but it's the whole "GGG easy" that makes me wonder how forensically people actually look at matchups. This won't be easy for either fighter and if nothing else please remember one thing - Alvarez is a Mexican. From a family of Mexican boxers. These people are the hardest bast*rds on the planet. They just don't back down. And the idea that blowhards on the internet have been calling him a coward and all the other crap that he has had to listen to for the last 18 months or so will have him ready to fight a grizzly on the night. When the fight was announced in the ring after the Chavez fight, as Buncey rightfully pointed out Canelo was postively BRISTLING. I thought he was going to go at it there and then. His Mexican manlihood is on the line here and that passion that Mexicans fight with will be in evidence no matter what happens.

This is going to be a great 50/50 fight.

Golovkin is a tremendous boxer. His power, timing, movement all world class. Can't say the same for Canelo. Average power at 160, moves like his feet are under water too.

I don't doubt Canelo is tough but he hardly has an advantage over GGG in that regard. I've seen GGG take huge flush shots and smile. Canelo can act as macho as he likes, did the same against Floyd, didn't help him in that fight and it won't in this one either. He looked like he wanted to quit by the end of the Floyd fight. He'll be feeling the same against GGG.

Canelo Points
    https://gfycat.com/FairDisfiguredAntipodesgreenparakeet

I mean, the guy doesn't flinch and Jacobs is the guy with the reaction Golovkin should've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    I'm not on the Golovkin hype train which is filled with some of the most sickening people but I loved that moment. I posted that back in the fight thread when it happened and I still love it. Golovkin's nod of approval after getting nailed by a bomb is one of the most badass yet beautiful things in Boxing.

Canelo KO
    His countering against undersized opponents who he has 10+ pounds on yeah. He's gonna be far more reluctant to mix it with GGG once he feels his power.

I also don't agree that GGG will come straight at him. I think GGG fights a very methodical fight, for the first six rounds or so anyway. Wears Canelo down and eventually takes him late. Would be shocked if he goes straight at Canelo. When
    Canelo does his usual thing of tiring late on and sitting against the ropes it will be a different story and GGG will put it on him good and proper. If Liam Smith can push Canelo up against the ropes and land on him I can't wait to see GGG do the same.

Golovkin is a tremendous boxer. His power, timing, movement all world class. Can't say the same for Canelo. Average power at 160, moves like his feet are under water too.

I don't doubt Canelo is tough but he hardly has an advantage over GGG in that regard. I've seen GGG take huge flush shots and smile. Canelo can act as macho as he likes, did the same against Floyd, didn't help him in that fight and it won't in this one either. He looked like he wanted to quit by the end of the Floyd fight. He'll be feeling the same against GGG.

With all due respect, that there is a classical emotive post. You're obviously a big Golovkin fan (as am I) and you don't like Alvarez (unlike me). That's fair enough, but please don't let it cloud your judgment.

You claim GGG won't come out straight for Canelo - then claim that tactic is going to wear down the Mexican. That doesn't make sense. If he takes a slower approach it suits Canelo as his low punch output is definitely Canelo's biggest weakness. Setting a fast pace and forcing Canelo to throw more than he wants to is the ideal way to wear him down. If he tries to outbox Canelo I think he's going to get surprised, as I believe Canelo is the slicker boxer of the two.

You say GGG has world class power, timing and movement. Can't argue with the power and timing, but while his cutting off the ring is impressive his defensive movement is quite poor. You say the same cannot be said for Canelo, well his timing is every bit as good if not better than GGG, his feet are definitely slow but his defense is in a different class to GGG and it's time you and others started acknowledging this. He won't be able to walk through punches forever, especially as (unlike what you said) he has NOT been "hit flush by huge shots". What huge puncher ever hit him flush? Please don't use the non-puncher Daniel Geale's punch that landed on him just before he floored the Aussie. That was NOT a huge punch. The only huge puncher he has even faced is Lemieux who landed virtually nothing in their fight. And outboxing Lemieux is no great achievement.

As for comparing GGG and Mayweather? Seriously? You couldn't actually find two more differing boxers in terms of style. That fight has absolutely nothing to do with this.

The whole dismissive attitude to Canelo's chances is mind-boggling and a lot of it is based on the internet-led campaign of mis-information about weight. Even if he doesn't win he will make this so hard for Golovkin and that's why I'm looking forward to this fight more than any in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

With all due respect, that there is a classical emotive post. You're obviously a big Golovkin fan (as am I) and you don't like Alvarez (unlike me). That's fair enough, but please don't let it cloud your judgment.

You claim GGG won't come out straight for Canelo - then claim that tactic is going to wear down the Mexican. That doesn't make sense. If he takes a slower approach it suits Canelo as his low punch output is definitely Canelo's biggest weakness. Setting a fast pace and forcing Canelo to throw more than he wants to is the ideal way to wear him down. If he tries to outbox Canelo I think he's going to get surprised, as I believe Canelo is the slicker boxer of the two.

You say GGG has world class power, timing and movement. Can't argue with the power and timing, but while his cutting off the ring is impressive his defensive movement is quite poor. You say the same cannot be said for Canelo, well his timing is every bit as good if not better than GGG, his feet are definitely slow but his defense is in a different class to GGG and it's time you and others started acknowledging this. He won't be able to walk through punches forever, especially as (unlike what you said) he has NOT been "hit flush by huge shots". What huge puncher ever hit him flush? Please don't use the non-puncher Daniel Geale's punch that landed on him just before he floored the Aussie. That was NOT a huge punch. The only huge puncher he has even faced is Lemieux who landed virtually nothing in their fight. And outboxing Lemieux is no great achievement.

As for comparing GGG and Mayweather? Seriously? You couldn't actually find two more differing boxers in terms of style. That fight has absolutely nothing to do with this.

The whole dismissive attitude to Canelo's chances is mind-boggling and a lot of it is based on the internet-led campaign of mis-information about weight. Even if he doesn't win he will make this so hard for Golovkin and that's why I'm looking forward to this fight more than any in recent times.

Jacobs is a big puncher, as was Marco Antonio Rubio and Curtis Stevens

Canelo KO
    titan18 wrote: »
    Jacobs is a big puncher, as was Marco Antonio Rubio and Curtis Stevens

None of the above are "huge" punchers as quoted above. Plus Rubio and Stevens didn't land anything of note in their fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

None of the above are "huge" punchers as quoted above. Plus Rubio and Stevens didn't land anything of note in their fights.

At his division, what would your definition of huge puncher be? Other than himself, they've been some of the hardest hitting guys around at his time at the top. Also, I'd put the not landing anything of note on Golovkin. All 3 are bigger hitters than Canelo is, and whilst Golovkin isn't a great defensive fighter, his offensive output ensures fighters aren't throwing much against him as they're mainly trying to survive.

Advertisement