Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    Morrison J wrote: »
    He'll be gassed and those shots he tries to fire back with will be lacking substance.

As a GGG backer, if the fight reaches a stage where Canelo is caught on the ropes, tired and exchanging with GGG I'm happy not worried. That's exactly where I want the fight to go. No fighter gets into close proximity with GGG for a prolonged period and comes out damage free. Canelo's only chance is getting in and out of the pocket quick and tagging GGG with scoring punches. If he stays in the pocket for too long he's in a bad spot and is more likely than not getting hurt.

Well, you are throwing in this tired buzz. I never mentioned tired, and really, what is tired in this instance? To the point where he cannot punch or move, or just standard tired from boxing?

Plenty boxers took to the ropes that were not really tired and did excellent work to get excellent wins. That too is a possibility, that Canelo is on the ropes and not all that tired, throwing back and defending well.

If he is on the ropes and gassing, yes, he could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »
    He'll be gassed and those shots he tries to fire back with will be lacking substance.

As a GGG backer, if the fight reaches a stage where Canelo is caught on the ropes, tired and exchanging with GGG I'm happy not worried. That's exactly where I want the fight to go. No fighter gets into close proximity with GGG for a prolonged period and comes out damage free. Canelo's only chance is getting in and out of the pocket quick and tagging GGG with scoring punches. If he stays in the pocket for too long he's in a bad spot and is more likely than not getting hurt.

Well, you are throwing in this tired buzz. I never mentioned tired, and really, what is tired in this instance? To the point where he cannot punch or move, or just standard tired from boxing?

Plenty boxers took to the ropes that were not really tired and did excellent work to get excellent wins. That too is a possibility, that Canelo is on the ropes and not all that tired, throwing back and defending well.

If he is on the ropes and gassing, yes, he could be in trouble.
    But that's what he does in nearly all his fights. The pace gets to him and he sits himself up against the ropes late on in the fight, visibly tired.

Liam Smith for example had him against the ropes and actually landed some half decent stuff. Replace Liam Smith with Golovkin and Canelo is in serious bother.

Canelo KO
    But that's what he does in nearly all his fights. The pace gets to him and he sits himself up against the ropes late on in the fight, visibly tired.

Liam Smith for example had him against the ropes and actually landed some half decent stuff. Replace Liam Smith with Golovkin and Canelo is in serious bother.

Well, it all depends on the level of tiredness he is at if he has to go to the ropes...

Canelo KO
    pac_man wrote: »
    I think Canelo can be first to the punch and can make Golovkin to be constantly resetting his attack. Does he punch hard enough to make Golovkin think twice about coming forward? I'm not sure he does. Golovkin has been in with bigger punchers and it didn't deter him coming forward.

GGG coming forward isn't the issue. It's coming forward and not being hit hard enough to have him thinking. Can Canelo hit him clean and hard enough to make him really feel it, which will affect GGGs offensive attacks.

GGG can come forward all night long. If he is doing it and being tagged heavy then he will suffer badly. If he is being tagged and it's not heavy and hurtful then he has more a chance to get his own offense going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

24/7 should be starting soon . the first one in some time that I'm really looking forward to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »
    The article saying Tyson had a lack of toughness is flat out wrong..you had to beat Mike to a standstill to get rid of him. If that is not toughness then what is. Excellent chin and tough as nails. Lacked a bit of discipline here and there, but did not lack toughness.
    Yeah. That point stood out for me too. He's using the fact Tyson was stopped 5 times to fabricate a point. There's no point isolating his losses. The last 2 and hardly statistically relevant to his career as a whole. Look at the fight where he copped lots of shots but still got the min.
    Discipline and fight IQ cost him more than a do called lack of toughness.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    hbhook wrote: »
    Good video.

100% agree with the two big questions at the end.

Can Canelo live with the pace and pressure of GGG?

How does GGG defend the Canelo uppercut that he's been susceptible to in the past?

Two of the biggest factors in the fight for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bigandtall

Canelo Points
    hbhook wrote: »

great video. Thanks for sharing

Canelo KO
    Can GGG set a tough pace when getting hit clean and often?

Loads of questions, and they're not all for Canelo to answer.

• Advertisement

Canelo Points
    Can BT be got through Virgin Media? As in the same as ordering Sky Sports. If so then there may be a chance, a chhance, that this can be ordered as a one-off. It's gonna be disappointing if I have to stream this.

Canelo Points
    bigandtall wrote: »
    great video. Thanks for sharing
    You could spend the weekend watching his breakdowns and analysis of various fighters from past and present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Canelo KO
    Johner wrote: »

Billy Joe Saunders embarrassing himself as usual at the press conference yesterday, GGG and Canelo were looking at him wondering who he is!

I am very confident Canelo beats GGG on points.

What's Spanish for "Who the fook is that guy?"

I agree Canelo on points is the way to go, but imagine if he dropped GGG? That would be insane

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

GGG KO
    Have seen a few vids on instagram of Canelo and christ does he look good, his power is terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Canelo KO
    Canelo does not have the power of Lemeiux(?), but he has the skill to land regularly on Triple G. Has he enough to stop Gennady swarming him?

If Canelo doesn't gas under pressure, he has a good chance of winning on points.

Canelo KO
    Canelo does not have the power of Lemeiux(?), but he has the skill to land regularly on Triple G. Has he enough to stop Gendady swarming him?

If Canelo doesn't gas under pressure, he has a good chance of winning on points.

He is a far better "puncher" than Lemieux, and that is the huge difference. He hits hard enough, and hits so cleanly and smoothly and consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

How're the lads, haven't been following the sport much but I have to say this is looking like a total cracker - a real toss up for me.

Golovkin's last outings saw him caught out at times with an approach whereby his opponent managed to land combinations; Golovkin has a very subtle and often-effective way of countering this via relentless pressure but he's susceptible to getting tagged by elite opposition. To me, Golovkin ships a lot of leather when it comes from angles and is often porous against mobile fighters who use them well. Canelo is a strong man, he whacks hard; has lovely combinations and punch variations from angles and has a lovely jab that sets these up nicely. He has good timing as well which will count for a lot against Golovkin. That having been said, Golovkin has a savage chin. Is Canelo the man to test it? Probably not in the "lay him out" sense but be in no doubt that he has the ability to hurt Golovkin and perhaps keep him honest.

Golovkin on the other hand, has great generalship and I feel he'll be the one doing the chasing on the night; something Canelo won't be used to. He hits like a f*cking train and I think that if they end up in the pocket Canelo stands a real chance of getting tagged hard - this will be a huge factor if the fight progresses into the later rounds. If Canelo's engine isn't running 100% there's a good chance he'll end up getting smashed on the ropes at some stage. Likewise if Gennady racks up them body shots, Canelo is going to be in bother.

I honestly couldn't pick a conclusion, but will be definitely tuning in.

Canelo Points
    GGG has to do damage. I'm with the people that think that if this is close and it goes to the scorecard there's only one man winning. I wouldn't mind if he wins in dominant/ spectacular fashion but we could all do without the controversy. The timings right so we have to give GBP that but I kind of also want GGG to wipe the floor with him. I'm going with a competitive tussle for a while with a GGG win between rd 8-10.

Kind of a bland prediction and it's easy to say this but I think he'll tire eventually. I wasn't sold on the standing between rounds in the fight against the husk of JCCjr. At least GGG fought someone who could fight back. It should be really good. The promotion starts this Saturday (Sunday for us) with 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AH1994

Canelo Points
    I'm over in Vegas for this. What yas reckon ticket prices will drop too? Currently on sale for 600$.. Also any idea about where the weigh in is? MGM?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

pac_man wrote: »
    Are people discounting that Golovkin won't win on points?

Not necessarily but GGG is getting on now and Canelo is the golden boy after all. I'd say GGG would need the stoppage to be sure of victory.

• Advertisement

AH1994 wrote: »
    I'm over in Vegas for this. What yas reckon ticket prices will drop too? Currently on sale for 600$.. Also any idea about where the weigh in is? MGM?

Not sure but when i was at the McGregor Aldo fight they were around the same price but dropped to around 250 dollars in the MGM the day of the fight . Its all about luck though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

GGG KO
    AH1994 wrote: »

Its sold out though, no?

Gintonious wrote: »
    Its sold out though, no?

A lot of them would have been picked up by touts to sell on . The closer it gets they will start to come down

Did 24/7 air last night ?

Canelo Points
    Did 24/7 air last night ?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

What channel will this be on over here? Have BT so hoping boxnation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    Yeah BoxNation have it. I'll be tuning into the HBO coverage though. Wouldn't want anyone other than Roy, Max and Jim calling a fight like this. I guess listening to Harold chime in with nonsense is a small sacrifice.

Burial. wrote: »
    Yeah BoxNation have it. I'll be tuning into the HBO coverage though. Wouldn't want anyone other than Roy, Max and Jim calling a fight like this. I guess listening to Harold chime in with nonsense is a small sacrifice.

Oh for sure the best in the business . The closer it gets the more I think Canelo has timed this well . He needs to get GGGs respect early though . Let him know he can't be walked down and turn it into a boxing match

Canelo Points
    While ordering Mc's masterclass the other day I also asked if it would be possible to order this fight. I have Virgin Media. He said no..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    I've heard a few rumors that Canelo has been struggling with his right hand again in camp. Say it ain't so pleazzzze boxing gods.

Advertisement