Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Canelo Points
    Really hope that isn't true, most fighters come into fights at less then 100% at times, often in fact, for this one though I want to see both men go at it as close to peak condition as possible

I still can't make a definitive call but leaning toward Canelo being able to do enough to get GGG respect early in the fight and not allow him to simply walk him down. Late stoppage or points win for Canelo is my feeling right now

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

Canelo Points
    Personally I'd rather the fight be pushed back if it's serious enough than hear some bs about and injury afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Canelo Points
    A proper boxing match this one. going to be very tight. I'm over in Vegas for the fight too a birthday present from the missus!

Canelo Points
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO2ZS03ReTM.....GGG's media workout in about 2 hours. We can all begin to forget...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    You beautiful man!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    I just don't know how this fight will go. A year or two ago I would have said GGG all day but he has been looking more vulnerable of late. Is Canelo getting him at the right time?

I will be watching this fight with enthusiasm but will not be predicting a winner or putting money on any outcome. Can't wait for it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    What's the story with this being on PPV on Boxnation?

Have they shelved the idea (hopefully)?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr.Ed

How did the open workouts look?? Tried to watch on Youtube but it kept buffering.
    Lots of rumours about GGG's camp not going well even though he weighed in fine for the IBF 30 day check

Judging by the Boxnation site it's still PPV don't know how it's going to work honestly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Canelo KO
    Was leaning towards Canelo even though I'd have Golovkin as favourite but right now gun to head I'd pick Golovkin. I watched the Liam Smith fight again yesterday brutally hungover and although Cinnamon was sharp from the get go and clearly levels above he did get hit pretty handily and was playing possum on the ropes more than I remembered from viewing it fight night. Obviously he didn't respect his power and it's guaranteed he won't be caught doing that as much against Golovkin but Golovkin is an amazing stalker and he'll only need a few opportunities near the ropes to inflict damage that'll have Canelo puffing and licking his wounds.

If Canelo can get his respect with his power then I'd actually see it as a pretty handy win for Canelo but Golovkin seems to have a gifted chin. Absolutely fascinating scrap. Canelo's potential hand injury and stamina issues (although seem to be improving) as well as Golovkin's age and seemingly past his lethal best only adds to the fight.

Certaintly won't be putting huge on this fight. Unlike a lot of fights they seem to have got this one spot on. Hard to find value although Golovkin by stoppage at 6/4 and Canelo by decision at 2/1 look attractive The draw at 25/1 looks lovely though and worth a 50.

If Golovkin can find his range early and stay behind his jab like the Lemieux/Jacobs fights I think he handles Canelo, If he goes rushing in for a KO I think Canelo has the power and counter punching ability to cause serious trouble. Canelo throws mean uppercuts which Golovkin seems to be vulnerable to and if one of those lands flush I'd like to see how GGG reacts.
    If Canelo has worked on building his stamina and we don't see his usual back against the ropes catching a breather phase he has all the tools to beat Golovkin and just might be meeting him at the right time

Canelo Points
    Morrison J wrote: »

Cheers, that was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Canelo KO
    Burial. wrote: »

If Canelo can get his respect with his power then I'd actually see it as a pretty handy win for Canelo but Golovkin seems to have a gifted chin. Absolutely fascinating scrap. Canelo's potential hand injury and stamina issues (although seem to be improving) as well as Golovkin's age and seemingly past his lethal best only adds to the fight.

If Jacobs could give Golovkin trouble, a boxer with the accuracy of Canelo certainly can too.
    If Canelo can take the power, I think he will win this quite handily on points. I don't think he will stop him , though if he is continually landing hard, accurate punches in a dominating performance, maybe he will late on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Canelo Points
    If Jacobs could give Golovkin trouble, a boxer with the accuracy of Canelo certainly can too.

In my view it was more jacobs' physical attributes that caused the most trouble for ggg though; 6ft with a 73" reach and he looked massive too that night.

With Canelo while he 100% has the skill and boxing ability he won't have any physical advantage and he certainly likes to rely on that a bit more than he should imo. Knocking Kahn and Liam Smith about the place wasn't much of test for him although he looked slick against Chavez jr but again that's nothing to get too excited about.

I just sorta feel genady has received unfair criticism over the Brook and Jacobs fights. He worked Kell handy enough (much easier than sky made out) while still performing below par and the Jacobs matchup was a very tough one considering Golovkins lack of size it was close sure but Genady still performed well and Jacobs was in great form in the leadup.

And as pacman said earlier in the thread I too feel people are sleeping on a ggg points win. It wouldn't be my pick at all for an outcome but his jab is certainly good enough to warrant it being considered.

In my view it was more jacobs' physical attributes that caused the most trouble for ggg though; 6ft with a 73" reach and he looked massive too that night.

Jacobs was 180+ on fight night vs GGG, I think the performance from GGG that night is being a bit underrated by people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    Mr.Ed wrote: »

Jacobs was 180+ on fight night vs GGG, I think the performance from GGG that night is being a bit underrated by people
    Massively. Jacobs beats Canelo if they fought that night.

Watched most of the open workout from GGG and I have to say I think he looks re-energised for this fight.
    This is the fight he wanted I think Kell Brook and Jacobs were secondary in his mind, the first question Max Kellerman has asked after
    nearly all of Golovkins fights has been when are you going to fight Alvarez.
    I think GGG is coming into this with a point to prove and if he lands one of those left hooks he was throwing at the workout we could end
    up with another Curtis Stevens moment!

10dtzpi.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

There really is so many stories within this fight . Canelo was the great white hope at such a young age. GGG had a long hard struggle and his first US fight wasnt until he was 30 .

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    megadodge wrote: »
    What's the story with this being on PPV on Boxnation?

Have they shelved the idea (hopefully)?

This is going to be a BT sports broadcast, not BoxNation, strictly speaking.. That's my understanding. No PPV in this instance.

Thank god I have BT sports!

Gotta love that punch he hit Rubio with

Canelo Points
    You hear people talking about fighters turning over their punches. Well I like how Triple-G turns over his left hook!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Canelo Points
    There's another HBO presentation to look out for called ...'Under the Lights'. I think it's official release is Sept.2 but I've seen it posted on BadLeftHook although it's 'not available at my location..yada yada' . I think it's supposed to have a fun throwback feel to it. It's nice to see the promo ramping up on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Canelo Points
    Golovkin is past his best. I give him the slight advantage but I can see Canelo countering GGG quite a lot throughout the fight. This is going to be a fantastic match up. Hope GGG wins and calls it a day.

magma69 wrote: »
    Golovkin is past his best. I give him the slight advantage but I can see Canelo countering GGG quite a lot throughout the fight. This is going to be a fantastic match up. Hope GGG wins and calls it a day.

I agree that GGG is in slight decline and Canelo has improved massively since his Mayweather fight.
    This is the perfect time for Canelo to face GGG if he beats him he takes his 0 and he is fighting him when a win will still mean something and before everyone can use GGG's massive decline as an excuse for the win.
    Great to see interest in this ramping up and more videos being released from both fighters can't wait for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Canelo Points
    Mr.Ed wrote: »
    I agree that GGG is in slight decline and Canelo has improved massively since his Mayweather fight.
    This is the perfect time for Canelo to face GGG if he beats him he takes his 0 and he is fighting him when a win will still mean something and before everyone can use GGG's massive decline as an excuse for the win.
    Great to see interest in this ramping up and more videos being released from both fighters can't wait for this!

Massive decline? GGG is still an animal in the ring. Personally I fancy GGG and I think he stops Canelo.

• Advertisement

Massive decline? GGG is still an animal in the ring. Personally I fancy GGG and I think he stops Canelo.

I think you might have misread, I said he's in slight decline and that Canelo is fighting him before he declines massively and that is used to take any merit away from Canelo if he wins

Basically a W for Canelo here is a massive statement where it might not be in a year or two if GGG starts to slow down

I think GGG stops Canelo in 7/8 for what it's worth

Advertisement