Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodging a cheque to joint payees to individual account

Options
  • 20-06-2017 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

May partner and I received a cheque made payable to both of our names, however we don't have a joint account.
    The cheque is not crossed, so in order to lodge it to one of our individual accounts, does the other need to sign it, or can it be lodged without a signature as it will be going to one of the payees?

Hoping to avoid a wasted trip to the bank if it needs to be signed first.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi spurscormac,

Thanks for your post.

If the cheque is marked with "account payee only" it would need to be lodged into an account with both names on it. If it does have this marking you would need to get the cheque reissued in just one name. The cheque will need be signed by both parties if it is going into a sole account. 

Thanks

Kareana

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Hi spurscormac,

Thanks for your post.

If the cheque is marked with "account payee only" it would need to be lodged into an account with both names on it. If it does have this marking you would need to get the cheque reissued in just one name. The cheque will need be signed by both parties if it is going into a sole account. 

Thanks

Kareana

Thanks Kareana,
    It's not crossed or marked account payee only.
    So I still need it signed ahead of lodging it to an individual account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi spurscormac,

Thanks for your post.

Thanks

Kareana

Thanks Kareana,
    It's not crossed or marked account payee only.
    So I still need it signed ahead of lodging it to an individual account?
    Hi spurscormac,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes both parties must sign the cheque if you are lodging it into a sole account.  

I hope you have a nice day.

Thanks,

Kareana

Advertisement