Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Leaks- the Tax "Fraud" and footballers/managers involved.

• 20-06-2017 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭

When Football Leaks was published, originally in German, it was alwaya going to be explosive and it's now that the scandals of that book are becoming public knowledge. Jose Mourinho, Man Utd coach and fellow Jorge Mendes client, stands accused of defrauding the Spanish government of up to 2.9 million pounds. Anyone whose done even a bit of rudimentary reading on the subject before this will be aware of the shady financial dealings of Jorge Mendes and his clients. Chickens comimg home to roost.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My understanding is that the Spanish government for years gave tax breaks to footballers, and now are trying to retroactively cash in the money they are "owed". Certainly does seem to be some shadiness, but there seems to be a lot of malpractice with how the Spanish government are running this at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Hope Mendes get's done. He was most likely responsible for Ronaldo's tax affairs. Convinced Ronaldo that it was the Spanish government and Real Madrid at fault when it was just Mendes deflecting.

Himself and Raiola are bottom feeders who have way too much control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ronaldo and Mourinho will probably get suspended sentences and pay back the taxes as well as any fines.

Same as Messi.

Mednes however is a person who should be locked up and stripped of all assets (wont happen) but himself and Raiola are a new breed of bottom feeding leeches and football would be better off without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

When Football Leaks was published, originally in German, it was alwaya going to be explosive and it's now that the scandals of that book are becoming public knowledge. Jose Mourinho, Man Utd coach and fellow Jorge Mendes client, stands accused of defrauding the Spanish government of up to 2.9 million pounds. Anyone whose done even a bit of rudimentary reading on the subject before this will be aware of the shady financial dealings of Jorge Mendes and his clients. Chickens comimg home to roost.

No mention of lionel?

quelle surprise

(what a surprise, fyi)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Forgot Messi and Neymar actually

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Ronaldo didn't do anything wrong.

Government constantly changing the goalposts - it's ridiculous once you actually do your own research.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

All I'm saying is that there was a lot of stone throwing against an 18 year old (!) in a foreign continent, bit tougher to defend 28 year old Ronaldo defrauding the state for 4 times as much and someone as old abd experienced as Mourinho. Lots of stones thrown but those throwing them didn't know they were surrounded by glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

All I'm saying is that there was a lot of stone throwing against an 18 year old (!) in a foreign continent, bit tougher to defend 28 year old Ronaldo defrauding the state for 4 times as much and someone as old abd experienced as Mourinho. Lots of stones thrown but those throwing them didn't know they were surrounded by glass.

Eh? Most of Madrid and Barca players are accused of this tax thing. You can throw **** at Mendes as much as you want, that doesn't mean Barca players were saints. Mascha, Neymar were also accused of dodging taxes and IIRC even Casillas was.

It looks like 2 dodgy clubs doing their routine thing.

I'm jumping in quickly here.

If people want to discuss the stories, fine. Obviously, this is a long story, involving many people, etc etc.

If "all you're saying" is this is going to devolve into trying to get into fights with other posters about "he said, she saids", if this is going to devolve into a discussion on posters and not the stories, then I can close the thread and we can move on.

Can we please not let this turn into posters on both sides of the aisles trying to get snide shots in on each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's not rocket science, people with lots of money will always have advisors telling them the best way to keep as much of that money as possible.
    Sure isn't HMRC still investigating a load of footballers over an investment scheme "funding" movies.They throught it was legit but the goalposts have changed and now they aren't tax compliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

#WeAreAllLeoMessi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Alonso & Di Maria were charged a few years ago as well If I remember right.

The 'goalpost's have changed' is just the narrative being pushed by Mendes in the press. Find me any change to Spanish tax code or the constitution in the time frame. It's just a convenient excuse.

People never said the goalposts were moved when they took down Messi and Neymar. Mendes has been the common denominator in all the cases (7 so far). The only goal post that was moved was that Football leaks put it all out in the open and forced the authorities to act. Rightly so. I never understand people being apologists for tax fraud, it's essentially the rich stealing from the poor.

I await football leaks publishings the Donald's tax returns.
    Rich people doing all they can to hold onto their wealth is nothing new or mysterious. FFS,here in Ireland we have vulture funds registered as charities to avoid paying tax.Immoral yes,illegal, no.
    In the case of Neymar and Messi,the dogs in the street knew they were dodging tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Serious question, does anyone have a list of what footballers/managers/etc have already been convicted of tax fraud in Spain? It's crazy the amount of players that seem to have done this over the last few years.

Lukker- wrote: »
    The 'goalpost's have changed' is just the narrative being pushed by Mendes in the press. Find me any change to Spanish tax code or the constitution in the time frame. It's just a convenient excuse.

People never said the goalposts were moved when they took down Messi and Neymar. Mendes has been the common denominator in all the cases (7 so far). The only goal post that was moved was that Football leaks put it all out in the open and forced the authorities to act. Rightly so. I never understand people being apologists for tax fraud, it's essentially the rich stealing from the poor.

Looks like Madrid is the common denominator, there are players like Alonso and Casillas who were accused of taxes too. Then there are players like Xavi, Messi, Mascha, Neymar, so looks like common denominator is Barca and Madrid.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Looks like Madrid is the common denominator, there are players like Alonso and Casillas who were accused of taxes too. Then there are players like Xavi, Messi, Mascha, Neymar, so looks like common denominator is Barca and Madrid.

Getting the players to foot the bill for all the "loans" the 2 clubs got from the government.;)

Loads of Mendes clients are also under investigation recently.

Ricardo Carvalho, Radamel Falcao, Fábio Coentrão, Ángel Di María, Cristiano Ronaldo and José Mourinho.

Lots of Madrid too, but Falcao is separate obviously.

It seems pretty institutional at Barca too, they are certainly no better.

Loads of Mendes clients are also under investigation recently.

Ricardo Carvalho, Radamel Falcao, Fábio Coentrão, Ángel Di María, Cristiano Ronaldo and José Mourinho.

Lots of Madrid too, but Falcao is separate obviously.

It seems pretty institutional at Barca too, they are certainly no better.

Exactly. Many are Mendes clients but the common thing is all are Madrid players except Falcao. So not sure why Mendes is blamed when his clients playing outside Spain/Madrid aren't facing any issues with taxes, at least for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

zerks wrote: »
    It's not rocket science, people with lots of money will always have advisors telling them the best way to keep as much of that money as possible.
    Sure isn't HMRC still investigating a load of footballers over an investment scheme "funding" movies.They throught it was legit but the goalposts have changed and now they aren't tax compliant.

Theres allegedly about 300 people caught up in that scheme, it'll be interesting to see what happens with that down the line.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Many are Mendes clients but the common thing is all are Madrid players except Falcao. So not sure why Mendes is blamed when his clients playing outside Spain/Madrid aren't facing any issues with taxes, at least for now.

Simply put, because Mendes handles their tax affairs.

Simply put, because Mendes handles their tax affairs.

He has 100s of clients but Clients playing for only Madrid have issues? It's not like only Mendes clients at Madrid have/had issues, players like Casillas, Alonso also did.

IMO it's Barca/Madrid thing rather than agent.

He has 100s of clients but Clients playing for only Madrid have issues? It's not like only Mendes clients at Madrid have/had issues, players like Casillas, Alonso also did.

IMO it's Barca/Madrid thing rather than agent.

Tax authorities are gonna go after the big dogs first, more cases will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Very clever to break the whole Ronaldo leaving thing to take the sting off this. I'm sure Ronaldo has relations in Cork as this is the work of a cure Cork hoor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

When Football Leaks was published, originally in German, it was alwaya going to be explosive and it's now that the scandals of that book are becoming public knowledge. Jose Mourinho, Man Utd coach and fellow Jorge Mendes client, stands accused of defrauding the Spanish government of up to 2.9 million pounds. Anyone whose done even a bit of rudimentary reading on the subject before this will be aware of the shady financial dealings of Jorge Mendes and his clients. Chickens coming home to roost.

You've watched too much Wolf Of Wall Street:pac:

Also nearly every one of your posts have a transparent agenda, puts you among the bottom category of quality here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    My understanding is that the Spanish government for years gave tax breaks to footballers, and now are trying to retroactively cash in the money they are "owed". Certainly does seem to be some shadiness, but there seems to be a lot of malpractice with how the Spanish government are running this at the moment...

There is politicans over there and legislators making a name for themselves pandering to the working class, about how they will go after the high earners and make them pay their way. Basically like what Sinn Fein and the left do here.

It also tends to be some low hanging fruit when a loophole is closed or a change in legislation, where they go after some back dated stuff.

There is a reason they are going after individual players, and not the clubs. The man on the street will row into the "serves them right" when a player gets done, but will turn into a foaming animal if their club gets pulled up.

TheDoc wrote: »
    There is politicans over there and legislators making a name for themselves pandering to the working class, about how they will go after the high earners and make them pay their way. Basically like what Sinn Fein and the left do here.

It also tends to be some low hanging fruit when a loophole is closed or a change in legislation, where they go after some back dated stuff.

There is a reason they are going after individual players, and not the clubs. The man on the street will row into the "serves them right" when a player gets done, but will turn into a foaming animal if their club gets pulled up.

The absolute nerve, trying to get people to pay their fair share.

I've seen the second bit posted repeatedly but absolutely no evidence posted to support it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Evidence of the change in tax surrounding footballers in Spain? It was heavily publicised years ago,you must not have looked hard for evidence?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Rekop dog wrote: »

Also nearly every one of your posts have a transparent agenda, puts you among the bottom category of quality here.

Yes, my agenda is to start a topic about what will be, and already is, one of the biggest stories in sport.

• Advertisement

Evidence of the change in tax surrounding footballers in Spain? It was heavily publicised years ago,you must not have looked hard for evidence?

I looked plenty. They simplified the tax code code in 2015, it's not retrospective.

Ronaldo only pays 24.5% on his wages from Real Madrid already. The problem was 150m euro of advertising and endorsement money he routed through the Virgin Islands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Yes, my agenda is to start a topic about what will be, and already is, one of the biggest stories in sport.

You've been at it years. Be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Rekop dog wrote: »

Is it wrong of me to be seeing a mental image of Margot Robbie stood in that doorway?
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Why didn't you start a thread when Messi was pulled up for Tax avoision?

Why didn't you start a thread when Messi was pulled up for Tax avoision?

Someone did it before me. Why did nobody else start this thread after the Ronaldo, then the Mourinho stories broke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Someone did it before me. Why did nobody else start this thread after the Ronaldo, then the Mourinho stories broke?

How convenient.

• Advertisement

How convenient.

I know. They were very quick on the draw that time around. Not so much this time.

Changing the title, after requests, to something a bit more encompassing, since the discussion should involve multiple accusees.

And final warning; talk about the story, not "agendas" or whatever other personal shots at posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

blueser wrote: »
    Is it wrong of me to be seeing a mental image of Margot Robbie stood in that doorway?
    :p

Suddenly my appreciation of this thread has trippled :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Changing titles based on requests...ah here.

Just out of curiosity but why manager(s) plural? Haven't heard of any other manager implicated so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is intersting the people who they have gone after first. Obviously the Spanish authorities wanted a clamp down and went after the big guns first.

Messi, Mascherano, Alexis Sanchez, Neymar, Adriano, Ronaldo, Mourinho. Notice a trend on those names? None of them are Spanish.

In fact only 1 Spanish player had any sort of investigation levied upon him, Xavi Alonso. Of course, the judge dropped those charges straight away. Nothing to see here Jose.

Which goes back to a theory during the Operation Puerto blood bags controversy. Are the Spanish establisment trying to protect their National Football Heroes? In a country that is falling apart economically and geographically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The Spanish are hilarious, it's like 1984, they release massive amounts of credit allowing barca/real to buy up players at crazy prices during their financial crash, and now that the country is still in the sh*t, they are starting to try and claw it all back.

How about fixing their economy first, and stop trying to distract the public with football.

James Rodriguez the latest name under investigation now. Another Mendes client...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    James Rodriguez the latest name under investigation now. Another Mendes client...

And another Madrid player. This after Di Maria, again Mendes client and Madrid player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Nobody expects the Spanish Tax Authority.

Advertisement