Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with old pc? Media centre?

Options
  • 20-06-2017 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of building a new desktop pc. Not sure why as I mainly use it for college stuff and maybe a small big of gaming (but nothing graphics intensive). My pc would probably last a few more years but thinking about it, I built it around 2010 and just want to upgrade :P

For the old pc, I was thinking a media centre for the living room. Are there any good guides on what software to install? Think Kodi is a definite as I have NAS drive with media on it. Would like it to be user friendly and boot straight into the GUI without having to log in or anything like that. Will I have to shut it down properly or can it just be turned off when I'm turning off tv etc?

Will want a new case too so it fits in with satellite box under tv. Any recommendations? Motherboard is Micro ATX.

Oh, and is there a way of integrating Netflix etc. into it too? I don't think there's an add on for Kodi?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Thanks. Is openelec any different to just downloading Kodi directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes it's a full operating system tailored to media center usage (boots straight to gui etc). Kodi is just a program, not an operating system.

Advertisement