Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Majorca Spin

Options
  • 20-06-2017 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

I have a family holiday coming up in August in Majorca and i'm thinking a day out on a bike would be just the ticket half way through just as the kids are about to send me over the edge.

Staying in Alcudia and there are a few rental places with some seriously nice bikes on offer. Anyone done this that could recommend a route or a rental place?

The opportunity to ride one of these around the hills to is much to pass up.

https://www.procyclehire.com/bikes/?checkbike=35760

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

I used RENTMARCH in port de pollenca when I was over and rented a Trek domane - excellent service from them.
    Route wise - Lighthouse , lluc monastery , Sa Calobra , have a search in the forum as we had a few threads in the last few months on this.

August will be very warm for cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97347883&postcount=2

Loads of info there on routes/rental etc

TBH I found Mallorca a bit busy with bikes for my liking. Alcudia out to lighthouse or a trip to Calobra/Soller etc will be lovely but busy with other riders/tourists (generally very mannerly drivers though).

If you want peace and quite, load up Garmin with a route or just go get lost on the Cami (Catalan for boreen)*

Something like this
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22312314

https://goo.gl/hDMxji

I only did bits of it when there last year as I wanted to do lap of island and that kinda shaped the week. If going back, I'll have 28/30mm tyres and I'll go ride their boreens. They are as empty as ours.

Get used to heat before renting bike, rent the evening before, bring your lights and get up super early and the heat shouldn't effect you. I think I got sunrise around Porreres having started in Cala D'or

*if traditional stone walls, rough surfaces don't rock your boat maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

There's a lovely town called Petra thats about 30k from Alcudia that's very bike friendly. Many groups stop there for a quick bite and the town is quite rustic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

I found if you head out early you will be a long way before the roads start getting busy ,we used to head about 7:30am and would be well out before the roads started to get busy. (Great to have the Sa Calobra quiet ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

a recent related thread here that may be helpful also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Early morning to the Lighthouse at Cap Formentor is a spectacular spin. Great scenery. It gets really busy so as already suggested you need to be going by 7.30/8 am otherwise traffic is a pain.

From Alcudia it's about 28km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Thanks guys!

I did look for a thread but couldn't find it.

My plan would be to leave at the crack.... about 6am and do 80-100k with a few coffees and sights thrown in and be back for midday before I fry.

Can't wait now, Awful excited.... i don't get out much.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭djtwigster

https://www.strava.com/activities/1020198707

Excellent route with breathtaking scenery, highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

McTigs wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

I did look for a thread but couldn't find it.

My plan would be to leave at the crack.... about 6am and do 80-100k with a few coffees and sights thrown in and be back for midday before I fry.

Can't wait now, Awful excited.... i don't get out much.

When are you going and for how long. I'm out in August to Alcudia. Be renting for 1 or 2 days. Know the place like the back of my hand - 10 previous weeks on the bike over there. Might just catch you for a few kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

TheDocMan wrote: »
    When are you going and for how long. I'm out in August to Alcudia. Be renting for 1 or 2 days. Know the place like the back of my hand - 10 previous weeks on the bike over there. Might just catch you for a few kms.

I am over in September and staying in Alcudia I was planning on doing that spin out to the lighthouse is there any route back from there that would take in a climb or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

shamcfc wrote: »
    I am over in September and staying in Alcudia I was planning on doing that spin out to the lighthouse is there any route back from there that would take in a climb or two

From Port de Pollenca you'd have to go out towards Lluc, and return via Camari and Campanet, about 60km, 1000m extra

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭shamcfc

nilhg wrote: »
    From Port de Pollenca you'd have to go out towards Lluc, and return via Camari and Campanet, about 60km, 1000m extra

Cheers will have a look

Advertisement