Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

220 volt earth campervan electrics query.

Options
  • 20-06-2017 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi All,

Quick query. I'm wiring my campervan conversion for mains hook up.

Obviously I will have an earth coming in from the mains socket on site connected to the earth block in the van fuse board and all 220v van socket earths connected.

Is this sufficient or should I connect to the body of the van from the fuse board earth block?

Thanks in advance

A.

Comments

Earth the chassis, the vehicle is a class 1 appliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

A 230v <
    > 230v isolation transformer might be a good idea

This sort of thing :

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Isolation-Transformers-EN.pdf

Reasoning :

If the wiring on the site goes faulty, there may be mains between the body of the van and ground

( eg. if the site loses a neutral before a neutralising link )

Wouldn't the (monthly tested) onboard RCD protect against that?
    Iso. transformers to my mind are expensive galvanic corrosion mitigation devices for boats.

518Av-q0CtL._SY450_.jpg
    You could leave one of these plugged into an onboard outlet to monitor shore power fidelity.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

Thanks guys, I will connect to the chassis and I have one of those plug in testers I can leave in the van.

A.

Advertisement