Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2017 General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

neris wrote: »
    Cant see Porte winning the Tour. Dont think hes a 3 week GT leader and the Dauphine showed him and BMC up. BMC are a good team but theyre no where near where they were when Cadel won the tour and their flogging of Tejay as a GT leader shows that. Porte will give Froome a run for his money but when it comes down to it the Skybots will break bmc apart on the road.

Any volunteers coming forward for stage previews? We can work out whos doing what stages nearer the time

Sorry for not replying but don't want to get caught doing the lion share

I am happy to do stage 1 & 2

Are there other volunteers... Blaa man ? Conclavous (sic ?) Darkglasses ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Tim76 wrote: »
    He's gone out to 3/1 on PP. Still not great but Sagan was unbackable at 4/9

3/1 is still very poor value. He won't win the green jersey. I doubt he'll even finish 2nd on points.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Any volunteers coming forward for stage previews?

Ah, I'm happy to leave it to others as I'm going to be pretty busy....

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Not much in the way of support for Dan in the mountains. Thought they'd do a bit more for him.

Not much in the way of support for Dan in the mountains. Thought they'd do a bit more for him.

Support ?

You mean here or at the bookies ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Support ?

You mean here or at the bookies ?

He means not much support (i.e. domestiques) for Dan.

Super impressive line-up but Dan will be going back to the car for his own bottles in the high mountains I fear...

Quick-Step Floors for the Tour de France: Jack Bauer (Nzl), Gianluca Brambilla (Ita), Philippe Gilbert (Bel), Marcel Kittel (Ger), Daniel Martin (Irl), Fabio Sabatini (Ita), Zdenek Stybar (Cze), Matteo Trentin (Ita) and Julien Vermote (Bel).

Quickstep is a classic team at its core. They really don't have the riders to go full on for the GC. A successful Tour for Quickstep is a couple stage wins and a top 10 for Dan.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Was looking to back Groenewegen for green e/w at 50/1 or so.
    But the 18/1 on offer is very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Brian? wrote: »
    Quickstep is a classic team at its core. They really don't have the riders to go full on for the GC. A successful Tour for Quickstep is a couple stage wins and a top 10 for Dan.

Ah yeah, they'll never be a team for the high mountains but maybe Serry or de Plus would make the difference between top 10 and top 5 for Dan. The closest he has to a helper there is Brambilla and presumably he'll be wrecked from going for breakaways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

spock. wrote: »
    Was looking to back Groenewegen for green e/w at 50/1 or so.
    But the 18/1 on offer is very short.

Also very wasteful but it's your money!

Ah yeah, they'll never be a team for the high mountains but maybe Serry or de Plus would make the difference between top 10 and top 5 for Dan. The closest he has to a helper there is Brambilla and presumably he'll be wrecked from going for breakaways.

I know what you mean. But every climber they add takes a lead out man or helper for Kittel and Gilbert out. They want stages.

Gilbert can climb well enough that he'll be a help in the mountains. Not riding at the front, but ferrying bottles etc. before the last climb of the day. If Dan is doing well on GC I doubt Brambilla will be allowed attack.

I can see Dan slipping in to a top 5, he can descend and sprint well enough to take a stage. The lack of mountain top finishes is great for him.

they/them/theirs

Andre Cardoso (Trek-Segafredo) has tested positive for EPO

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andre-cardoso-tests-positive-for-epo/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Great. Just as it's about to get under way, one if Contadors domestiques, Andre Cardoso, gets pinged for EPO.
    EPO, FFS......

Just what the race, and especially contador, needed. Zubeldia (40y/o) in as a replacement.

Cardoso raced for a few years with Garmin till last year.....I wonder what Vaughters made of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

So Dan is 66/1 for KOM. That seems wrong.

Didn't he intend to target it a few years back? Doesn't look like a team that's going to help him achieve much and KOM is the ultimate in DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sagan is a cert for green, you are basically getting 1/2 on him to not crash.

De gendt @14/1 for kom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

GetWithIt wrote: »

Didn't he intend to target it a few years back? Doesn't look like a team that's going to help him achieve much and KOM is the ultimate in DIY.

If hes a threat to gc he won't be let away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Andre Cardoso (Trek-Segafredo) has tested positive for EPO

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andre-cardoso-tests-positive-for-epo/

Feck sake all the crap about epo over years and all the russian doping stuff lately and idiots like this think they'll get away with it

GetWithIt wrote: »

He'd have to lose a bucket load of time in the first week due to crash/mechanical/echelons/ and/or have a nightmare on the first mountain-top finish in order to switch his objective AND be allowed away in breakaways by the GC men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Great. Just as it's about to get under way, one if Contadors domestiques, Andre Cardoso, gets pinged for EPO.
    EPO, FFS......

Just what the race, and especially contador, needed. Zubeldia (40y/o) in as a replacement.

Cardoso raced for a few years with Garmin till last year.....I wonder what Vaughters made of him.
    Journeyman pro who managed to keep under the radar for several years while producing some decent results. Probably just kept himself 'topped up' enough to put in a solid performance without raising too much suspicion. I'm sure there are a few more like him out there.

Zubeldia was earmarked for the Tour before apparently being swapped for Irizar at the last moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

This could be interesting... Is it Sagan answering during stages, or before/after?

https://twitter.com/robhatchtv/status/879996158340476928

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

This could be interesting... Is it Sagan answering during stages, or before/after?

https://twitter.com/robhatchtv/status/879996158340476928

I can see it now #doawheelie :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Wheeliebets now has free previews and selected bet selections on Facebook for the Tour de France.

http://www.facebook.com/WheelieBets/?ref=bookmarks

George Bennett 8/1 Top 10 is a great bet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Eurosport subscription was up for the month and went to renew for the Tour. I had no idea they had changed to a year only subscription. Took up the 'offer' of the discounted rate but I'm disappointed if they insist on yearly subs. going forward. The month by month sub was handy for the few months of the year to catch the spring classics and Grand Tours.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Eurosport subscription was up for the month and went to renew for the Tour. I had no idea they had changed to a year only subscription. Took up the 'offer' of the discounted rate but I'm disappointed if they insist on yearly subs. going forward. The month by month sub was handy for the few months of the year to catch the spring classics and Grand Tours.

I was the same, still I paid 29.99 which is good value for me as I would have watched most of what they show. Will cover you for the Giro and some other good races next year too. Mark your calendar though you can't unsub right away like you could with the monthly one to stop you forgetting , has to be done in the last month now.

EDIT: Something TDF related on ES2 now. Team presentation i think, repeated at 10pm on ES1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Wear bibshorts Dan. No pants needed!

• Advertisement

Commando Dan :pac:

Advertisement