Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2017 General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Is there a boards.ie tdf fantasy league this year??

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Is there a boards.ie tdf fantasy league this year??

There is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103873033

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have long since given up on watching professional cycling. The sport has lost all credibility, I don't think anyone can honestly say they believe this year's tour will be clean. If you continue to watch it, You have to put your hands up and accept that drugs are just part of the game and that you don't care. I can't do that.

Is that you PK???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I was the same, still I paid 29.99 which is good value for me as I would have watched most of what they show. Will cover you for the Giro and some other good races next year too. Mark your calendar though you can't unsub right away like you could with the monthly one to stop you forgetting , has to be done in the last month now.

EDIT: Something TDF related on ES2 now. Team presentation i think, repeated at 10pm on ES1

You can get Eurosport Player for 30 euro for 12 months? That's such good value compared to the month-by-month sub I used to get. €2.50 per month!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I have long since given up on watching professional cycling. The sport has lost all credibility, I don't think anyone can honestly say they believe this year's tour will be clean. If you continue to watch it, You have to put your hands up and accept that drugs are just part of the game and that you don't care. I can't do that.
    No professional sport is ever going to be entirely clean concerning performance enhancing drugs. Professional sport is a business, and in business there is always going to be foul play and dirty tricks. The least you can say for cycling is that the riders have pretty much perfect knowledge of who is taking what, and what they are taking, which is in a way probably fairer than many other sports.

Combatting drug use in sport is a worthy endeavour, but it's not worth obsessing over for the casual fan who simply wants to see some world class cycling, regardless of what type of substances may be running through the rider's bodies.

You can get Eurosport Player for 30 euro for 12 months? That's such good value compared to the month-by-month sub I used to get. €2.50 per month!

Offer is back on at the minute not sure when it's up. They've covered every UCI event and then some so really was worth it at that price. They likely have the offer on to push subs during the big races. I got mine during the giro for half price too. So by the time the Giro comes around next year they'll likely have the offer on again for the same reason :D

As I said though just remember to set a reminder on your phone to cancel it in 11.5 months time as you can only cancel in the last month.

Offer is back on at the minute not sure when it's up. They've covered every UCI event and then some so really was worth it at that price. They likely have the offer on to push subs during the big races. I got mine during the giro for half price too. So by the time the Giro comes around next year they'll likely have the offer on again for the same reason :D

As I said though just remember to set a reminder on your phone to cancel it in 11.5 months time as you can only cancel in the last month.

I just signed up for the year anyway, delighted with that offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

PP have got a bit more sensible imo in their odds & now have Froome favorite. Contador 18/1 has to be the stand-out bet given Froome on a bad year so far, Porte yet to prove himself, Quintana after the Giro. Maybe he won't be truly competitive but it's an unknown & imo those odds are generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Contador at 18/1 is a great bet ....even e/w still great odds fro Contador

Given what journos were saying about Aru's form on the cycling podcast he looks a very good bet for the podium

He is very fresh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Eurosport have gone multiplex for this 7 cameras to choose from on the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

And they are off....

And ITV announce agreement to broadcast the tour until 2023! All on Free to Air and perhaps some Bora and Israel Tourism promo!

Some CBS footage all 3 hours of it from the 1987 tour. Interesting watch even from a cold War point of view as it was still west Germany then at the start.

Difficult watching given what we know now but looking at the bikes stirs some memories here of a day when our gears were on the bar and not the breaks :o

Different times in terms of team tactics too

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So has anyone used the 'Tweet Peter Sagan' on Eurosport yet, to ask him about his cooking revolution?

:D

Theres been some grumbling about Sky's new skinsuits

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/skys-vortex-generator-skinsuits-questioned-by-tour-rivals-but-permitted-by-commissaires/

I noticed it yesterday when the camera picked out Froomes arms during his run. Thinking it was odd but would it give the sort of advantage claimed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Theres been some grumbling about Sky's new skinsuits

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/skys-vortex-generator-skinsuits-questioned-by-tour-rivals-but-permitted-by-commissaires/

I noticed it yesterday when the camera picked out Froomes arms during his run. Thinking it was odd but would it give the sort of advantage claimed ?

Just listened to the itv podcast of yesterday's stage and they mentioned it aswell but said that movi star did something similar to their suits last year at some rave and uci weren't bothered about it

• Advertisement

Don't see any problem with them, myself. Clothing follows the shape of the rider, it's just a better material for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Dimples are put on golf balls to make them fly further I've heard. They aren't there for ascetic purposes. Someone who actually knows the science can explain why and quantify any benefits.Its pefectly conceivable the same concept applied to bikes and related clothing would improve times.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

PeadarCo wrote: »
    Dimples are put on golf balls to make them fly further I've heard. They aren't there for ascetic purposes. Someone who actually knows the science can explain why and quantify any benefits.Its pefectly conceivable the same concept applied to bikes and related clothing would improve times.
    Dimples - (I've got one:pac:)

You'll also find them on certain TT helmets

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

buffalo wrote: »

Curious. Not too fond of central France are they?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gentle reminder - no spoilers

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is the official site for live tracking

http://livetracking.letour.fr

It's powered by "Dimension Data" (Cav's team). The site crashed today near the end of the race :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Only really looking at the profiles and TT stages today I must admit. Some very strange looking mountain days. 4 or so with downhill or flat finishes after big climbs. The Galibier climb looks particularly brutal this year, with the Telegraphe before it it's 29 kms of decent gradients. You wouldn't want to pick that one for your bad day.

And the only other TT is short. Hmmmmmm.

What would someone like Dan/Aru/Bardet need on Froome going into that? 2 minutes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

A question for Virgin Media TV subscribers...

Is the TdF coverage on ITV4 available to those of us in the RoI?
    Or is it blocked like other years? I haven't tried yet.

Advertisement