Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2017 General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

A question for Virgin Media TV subscribers...

Is the TdF coverage on ITV4 available to those of us in the RoI?
    Or is it blocked like other years? I haven't tried yet.

Blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Blocked.

Thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

So the top 2k of the mountain had barriers to the top, is that to be the way for all the high mountains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Was it Michal Kwiatkowski who was at the front for Sky yesterday with a rainbow band across his jersey? Why does he have the rainbow band, when sagan is the current champion? Or am i mistaken?

So the top 2k of the mountain had barriers to the top, is that to be the way for all the high mountains?

That's the way it's been for the last few years for any mountain top finishes in any of the Grand Tours.
    Sometimes it's a bit less than two, other times it's more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah it seemed to start very early yesterday. Aru went for home with about 2.4k and was sheltered from the fans almost immediately. Something had to be done unfortunately. Looks class on TV, but must be hell for the riders in contention

mickydcork wrote: »
    Was it Michal Kwiatkowski who was at the front for Sky yesterday with a rainbow band across his jersey? Why does he have the rainbow band, when sagan is the current champion? Or am i mistaken?

Could it have been Sergio Luis Henao in his Colombian National Champions jersey?

http://www.steephill.tv/2017/tour-de-france/pre-race-photos/stage-03/204819_667930027.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Could it have been Sergio Luis Henao in his Colombian National Champions jersey?

http://www.steephill.tv/2017/tour-de-france/pre-race-photos/stage-03/204819_667930027.jpg

You're absolutely right!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Weepsie wrote: »
    This is the official site for live tracking

http://livetracking.letour.fr

It's powered by "Dimension Data" (Cav's team). The site crashed today near the end of the race :pac:

Jaysus, Sagan has some elbow on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

MPFGLB wrote: »

Have to say I'm enjoying this despite myself. He is quite comfortable onair as he has been doing his regular podcast for a good while. Still has no love for contactor anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

mickydcork wrote: »

Yes it was and it's because he's a former world champion.

Somedude9 wrote: »
    Yes it was and it's because he's a former world champion.

No I'm pretty sure it was Sergio Luis Henao in the Colombian National Road Champions jersey (3rd from left in photo below).
    Kwiatkowski only has the rainbow bands on his right sleeve (5th from left).

19436968_121713875098774_1118390762115956736_n.jpg

Oh he was referring to the Colombian bands on Henao's jersey? I presumed he was talking about the rainbow bands on Kwiatkowski's jersey, as he was the one who was at the front whereas Henao wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Sagan's team have demanded a hearing at the CAS, and if successful, they want him put back into this year's tour!

https://www.bora-hansgrohe.com/en/news/pressemeldungen/presseinformation-zum-tour-de-france-ausschluss-von-peter-sagan/10983587

Presume that means he needs to cycle Stage 5 and 6 to catch up???

Which he probably would do :pac:

So, they reinstate Sagan on the grounds of not following procedure. Does that mean they didn't follow procedure before the original relegation/time penalty/jersey points deduction? So, does he get those points back? Do they then have to give him compensatory points for the ones they incorrectly prevented him from winning on the two stages he was incorrectly prevented from taking part in? Then cut him loose into the upcoming stage, on two rest days, in order to go off in the breakaway, have some fun, and mop up yet more green jersey points?

My head hurts trying to figure this one out.

#ReinstateThisCookingRevolution

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So, they reinstate Sagan on the grounds of not following procedure. Does that mean they didn't follow procedure before the original relegation/time penalty/jersey points deduction? So, does he get those points back? Do they then have to give him compensatory points for the ones they incorrectly prevented him from winning on the two stages he was incorrectly prevented from taking part in? Then cut him loose into the upcoming stage, on two rest days, in order to go off in the breakaway, have some fun, and mop up yet more green jersey points?

My head hurts trying to figure this one out.

#ReinstateThisCookingRevolution

I would assume the tour will be over before CAS bothers to hear this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Inquitus wrote: »
    I would assume the tour will be over before CAS bothers to hear this.

Appeal rejected...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Can we still #askpetersagan questions or is he not allowed to do that anymore as part of his punishment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just realised I rode the col de la biche and the col de la grand columbier a few years ago. Thought the biche was harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Just realised I rode the col de la biche and the col de la grand columbier a few years ago. Thought the biche was harder.

I'd say it was a right biche.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just stumbled upon highlight with Welsh commentary on s4c on sky.

They have live coverage everyday too it seems.

That's 4 channels it's on for some

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

I just change between tg4 and ITV4 so I pretty much miss all the ads. On the sprint days, I just watch the 3 min summary on youtube.

I like the Lance Armstrong & A1 Coaching podcasts post stage.

Was chatting with herself earlier and both of us as well as being into cycling are into video games and she was asking if I'd like the new TdF game for my birthday ..... no !!!!!

But got us on to thinking that you have exorcise bikes that mimic tour stages , how long before you can ride them on rollers with Vr goggles??? Much as I don't see a big take up in VR gaming this is one area that could be a really good use of the tech. Actually i'm sure google would have most of the roads used on their servers as is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Yes imagine what you could do with VR.

6e703b345efcd2c2834c08270cccc2d9.jpg

Was chatting with herself earlier and both of us as well as being into cycling are into video games and she was asking if I'd like the new TdF game for my birthday ..... no !!!!!

But got us on to thinking that you have exorcise bikes that mimic tour stages , how long before you can ride them on rollers with Vr goggles??? Much as I don't see a big take up in VR gaming this is one area that could be a really good use of the tech. Actually i'm sure google would have most of the roads used on their servers as is :)

I had previously been thinking that VR and turbo/rollers would be ideal, either on iconic rides/climbs, or with a pro peloton. The 360 degree camera tech is there, but you just need to work out speed/tempo variations for the system. It could really add something to the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That would be class!

Can't imagine it's too far from being a reality either. I would love to do winter turbo training with Froomey and Contador staring me out of it :o

Like imagine VR Froome riding up beside you and telling you to dig deep and being able to say "oh **** off chris" :pac:

• Advertisement

That would be class!

Can't imagine it's too far from being a reality either. I would love to do winter turbo training with Froomey and Contador staring me out of it :o

The main problem as I see it with the VR experience is getting too into it.

There you are, cycling up Ventoux with Froome, Quintana at al. you try to go round a switchback, lean in, topple the turbo, and land on the ground, still attached to the pedals, with the smashed up coffee table around you. It's in that moment that the other half vows that you're never cycling indoors again/that divorce is the only option.

Advertisement