Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2017 General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The main problem as I see it with the VR experience is getting too into it.

There you are, cycling up Ventoux with Froome, Quintana at al. you try to go round a switchback, lean in, topple the turbo, and land on the ground, still attached to the pedals, with the smashed up coffee table around you. It's in that moment that the other half vows that you're never cycling indoors again/that divorce is the only option.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing with the mention of rollers. Hard enough to stay upright on them without the immersion of being out on a road.

I shall market my new business endeavour with added coffee table insurance so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

The main problem as I see it with the VR experience is getting too into it.

There you are, cycling up Ventoux with Froome, Quintana at al. you try to go round a switchback, lean in, topple the turbo, and land on the ground, still attached to the pedals, with the smashed up coffee table around you. It's in that moment that the other half vows that you're never cycling indoors again/that divorce is the only option.

I would be looking around and shouting for the gruppetto.

I would be looking around and shouting for the gruppetto.

Ha ha ha you and me both :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

As always, a great summary of the last week - HTRWW Stages 1-9: http://cyclocosm.com/2017/07/how-the-race-was-won-2017-tour-de-france-stages-1-9/

Word of the day: co-operitition (I think that's how it's spelt!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

when the lads hop onto the turbo after a stage, what grade of effort are they doing and for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Like imagine VR Froome riding up beside you and telling you to dig deep and being able to say "oh **** off chris" :pac:

or more likely him telling you to stop cause he needs a p**s ;)

Brief interview with Richie Porte in his hospital bed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Somedude9 wrote: »
    Majka is no longer in TdF. :(

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote: »
    Majka is no longer in TdF. :(

Had a feeling he'd not start , shame he could have maybe salvaged something for Bora. They are left with a team of lead out men now really, no reason why they can't at least going against their nature and try for wins on the flat days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Buchmann is still there, going for white jersey/ top ten

retalivity wrote: »
    Buchmann is still there, going for white jersey/ top ten

Actually he's done ok this year, 7th over all in the Dauphiné and 2nd in nationals

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

f2f

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

neris wrote: »
    Whats this got to do with the Tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Brief interview with Richie Porte in his hospital bed

RP comes across as a really nice guy. He does sound a little doped up in the interview tho!! Fair play to him for agreeing to it all the same. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

interesting podcast with Michael Rasmussen talking about his drug taking and racing at the time

https://twitter.com/cycling_podcast/status/885058037966401536

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ten years ago now....

You don't see racing like that anymore...

...As in two riders battling it out mano a mano...

Yes I know it wasn't all legal :O

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You don't see racing like that anymore...

...As in two riders battling it out mano a mano...

Yes I know it wasn't all legal :O

It was a hell of a spectacle though. I remember jumping out of my seat many times in that tour. Probably more time than ever Tour since 2012 put together.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Bar last weekend – especially last Sunday – this years edition has been very flat (literally) on action and excitement. Can't see the viewers being glued to their seats depart to arrivé every day to date. Even the sprints are boring such is Kittels power. Least enjoyable tour for me that I can remember - and I remember quite a few!! Everything crossed for an action packed finale starting tomorrow!!

Initially I thought it could an open race but in practice it's all wrong. Even taking away the GC last year it was a better tour overall by this point. it was 50/50 flat v lumpy by stage 11. 8 chances for the fast men in 11 days this year and plenty more to come ... roll on the Vuelta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'd be as anti-doping and as suspicious as you can get and even I tire of Kimmage at this stage :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I like Kimmage's work and he's great to listen to... but this just seems like a silly cheap shot.

ThisRegard wrote: »

Cycling news did a good podcast interview with dekker very short while back maybe last week. Only got around to listening to it tonight and he's fairly open about what he did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I like Kimmage's work and he's great to listen to... but this just seems like a silly cheap shot.

Yeah, I'm usually one to defend him but it's getting harder and harder to do so, he seems to be particularly cranky this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

KImmage is a dickhead ...using every opportunity to knock cycling

He is forever implying Froome is doping based on his performance
    But what about Dan Martin who is climbing just as well as Froome ?

Oh he must be clean becasue Kimmage says so ?

I am not suggesting anything either way about Dan I simply use this as a example in how bankrupt all Kimmages views are theses days....He simple throws mud but only where he wants to and with subjective venom

Just like he always finds an opportunity to have a go at Nico Roche while Dan Martin is not required to speak up about anything ...bias bull

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Just like he always finds an opportunity to have a go at Nico Roche while Dan Martin is not required to speak up about anything ...bias bull
    Thought I either read or heard him give out about Nico, Dan and Sam recently enough for their diary's mentioning nothing. Might've been that Newstalk/ charity special interview the other week. I'm sure Sam will be in the firing line after the Bora positive.

I don't think it's just Kimmage that Froome has raised eyebrows with to be fair to Kimmage on that, but this picking quotes (usually out of context) himself and vayer do on twitter is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Thought I either read or heard him give out about Nico, Dan and Sam recently enough for their diary's mentioning nothing. Might've been that Newstalk/ charity special interview the other week. I'm sure Sam will be in the firing line after the Bora positive.

I don't think it's just Kimmage that Froome has raised eyebrows with to be fair to Kimmage on that, but this picking quotes (usually out of context) himself and vayer do on twitter is pathetic.

Which Bora positive???

Advertisement