Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for a leisurely cycle in Dublin Area.

Options
  • 20-06-2017 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Trying to get my GF into the outdoors and hoping to do a nice leisurely cycle somewhere around Dublin.

Fitness wouldn't be great to be honest so ideally I'd be looking at a moderate cycle with scenic views.

Had a look at ticknok and the only thing that puts me off is the difficulty level (severe) which I think might be discouraging for my Mrs.

Anybody recommend somewhere that might be suitable for beginners and that also rents bikes ??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

there's a bike hire place at the main gate of the phoenix park. you could head in there and take a spin around some of the quieter roads and the main avenue without working up too much of a sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Phoenix park has a bike rental place in it, plenty of lovely scenic parts too and there's the Memorial Gardens across from it if you want to venture onto the road although to be honest there's more than enough for a leisurely cycle between Farmleigh, the s-bends etc in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

The off road cycle lane from just north of Fairview to Sutton is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Ticknock is mountain biking and it's not clear if that's what you are looking for or something on tarmac. If it is mountain biking you are looking for then I think Ballinastoe is the easier of the two. Biking.ie rents bikes at both locations.

If you want paved cycling then the cycle path out to Howth is pleasant and you get a nice scenic view of the bay as you cycle along and a better one from Howth if you go up the hill. You can always rent Dublin Bikes to do this. They are pretty heavy so going to the village along the flat might be better and you are probably not going to finish in under 30 minutes so it will cost you. Have a look at the costs here:- http://www.dublinbikes.ie/Subscription/The-3-Day-Ticket/3-Day-Ticket-Users

I'm sure there must be bike hire places in the city centre but I'm afraid I can't think of any. There are lists on Yelp and Tripadvisor but I've no idea which are any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Wheres your starting point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Phoenix park sounds perfect .

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Phoenix Park is the place alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roadster5

Any you can even stop for a lovely bite to eat in the cafe in the Visitor centre which has bikes racks and an outdoor seating area - cycling to a coffee stop is always a good option

R

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you are in the phoenix park, go out to chapelizod, cross the Liffey, turn left and into the park there. Head down the cycle path to memorial gardens and island bridge. Different world, never know you're in a city watching the rowers go by

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

As nearly everyone has said the Phoenix PArk is the best option. Other options include Malahide park which also has bike rental and tours.
    The Phoeno is about a 10km circuit all round and Malahide is 4km. So Malahide could be all over in 30 minutes. But there is a nice cafe too.

If you go the Phoeno route I recommend Farmleigh for coffee and scones. Less busy than the visitor centre and nice view of the lake.

• Advertisement
Advertisement