Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Outside Light

Options
  • 20-06-2017 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I was looking to add a small metal floodlight onto the side of my porch so it would light up the garden so I can go to the shed at night. I opened the porch light yesterday and the fitting is wired with 2 core flat cable with no earth wire. could I run this wire into a round 3 Terminal junction box and then run a new wire to the porch light and a second wire to the floodlight, would I need to use 3 core cable for the floodlight and the porch light or 2 core cable, I hope this makes sense

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

macarra61 wrote: »
    Hi, I was looking to add a small metal floodlight onto the side of my porch so it would light up the garden so I can go to the shed at night. I opened the porch light yesterday and the fitting is wired with 2 core flat cable with no earth wire. could I run this wire into a round 3 Terminal junction box and then run a new wire to the porch light and a second wire to the floodlight, would I need to use 3 core cable for the floodlight and the porch light or 2 core cable, I hope this makes sense

This probably isn't what you want to hear but the correct way to do this would be to change the 2 core flat cable with no earth to a 3 core with earth to the existing porch light and then run a 3 core to the new light.

Is it an older house?

Advertisement