Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from iPhone 4

Options
  • 20-06-2017 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I have had an iPhone 4 (8Gb) for the past 4 years. My phone has started to slow down considerably due to the lack of space available due to 4 years of photos and videos. I don't have a lot of apps but would use Snapchat, Watsapp, Viber and some banking apps on a daily basis.

The battery life has also reduced significantly, i might only get 4 or 5 hours from my phone without using it much. and I am thinking of getting an upgrade to a 5 or 6 possibly.

I was looking at the iphone 5 - which has 16gb storage and looks to be around 270 euro.

The iphone 6 (from what I can see) is 400 quid extra and for what I use my phone for, I am finding it hard to justify spending over 600 euro on a phone.

I have young kids who use my phone and it has to be able to take punishment - I have a rubber cover on my iphone 4 and its in the same condition as the day I bought it.

I am currently on a 24 contract with Vodafone bill (due to expire in September 2017) and plan on switching to pay as you go. I am hoping to buy the handset separately as I am not entitled to an upgrade.

Would appreciate and advice or thoughts as to which iphone to upgrade to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I upgraded from a 4 to a 6 2 years ago and I love it. I also have a 5s for work and it's a great phone.

I would say though, you need to sort yourself a way to get all your photos etc cleared off your phone periodically. That'll just slow any phone down to a crawl and make it unusable if you've no space for apps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I don't know if you are keen on switching provider.

My housemate switched to Virgin Media Mobile last week.

He pays €25 a month for his unlimited plan
    then he pays €20 a month for his phone an iPhone SE 32gb

There was no upfront fee and he got a tenner off for 6 months I think.

This pay phone and bill separately is new to me. Seems a good way.

Iphone 5 SE is similar in style to the 4, I have the 6 and don't like it at all, would prefer to go back to the 4/5/SE style.

Hope this is useful to you :)

I have had an iPhone 4 (8Gb) for the past 4 years. My phone has started to slow down considerably due to the lack of space available due to 4 years of photos and videos. I don't have a lot of apps but would use Snapchat, Watsapp, Viber and some banking apps on a daily basis.

The battery life has also reduced significantly, i might only get 4 or 5 hours from my phone without using it much. and I am thinking of getting an upgrade to a 5 or 6 possibly.

I was looking at the iphone 5 - which has 16gb storage and looks to be around 270 euro.

The iphone 6 (from what I can see) is 400 quid extra and for what I use my phone for, I am finding it hard to justify spending over 600 euro on a phone.

I have young kids who use my phone and it has to be able to take punishment - I have a rubber cover on my iphone 4 and its in the same condition as the day I bought it.

I am currently on a 24 contract with Vodafone bill (due to expire in September 2017) and plan on switching to pay as you go. I am hoping to buy the handset separately as I am not entitled to an upgrade.

Would appreciate and advice or thoughts as to which iphone to upgrade to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The SE phone should be your minimum here. I wouldn't bother with a 5 or 5S at this point especially since the 5 won't get iOS 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

I upgraded from a 4 to a 6 2 years ago and I love it. I also have a 5s for work and it's a great phone.

I would say though, you need to sort yourself a way to get all your photos etc cleared off your phone periodically. That'll just slow any phone down to a crawl and make it unusable if you've no space for apps.

Thanks for your thoughts - do you notice much of a difference between the 5s and 6? Finding it hard to justify the extra spending on the 6 when I am not easily excited by all he bells and whistles it has.

I have saved all the photos/videos on the wifes macbook (she's the techy one) but I think its time to retire the 4 and getting something new with increased storage space and performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's not really about the bells and whistles, it's about how well the iPhone can run the software. The problem with getting the 5s is that it will probably run iOS 11 the same way your iPhone 4 currently runs iOS 7: very badly. You will benefit from the OS improvements since iOS 7, but you may not see any performance gain.

As Creamy Goodness said, SE or bust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

also note, keep the 4 around, give it to kids as a iPod Touch for games and stuff, that way they're less prone to take your new phone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thanks for your thoughts - do you notice much of a difference between the 5s and 6? Finding it hard to justify the extra spending on the 6 when I am not easily excited by all he bells and whistles it has.

Well, to be honest because the 5s is a work phone I don't game on it or really do anything on it other than emails, twitter and take calls. I'm quite strict with not putting personal stuff on a work device so in some ways I haven't really tested it. But it seems as fast for what I use it for as the 6, although I much prefer the 6 form factor, and the camera is excellent (I use it a lot). I also prefer the size of the 6, it's a nicer fit for my hand.

I'd recommend the 6, to be honest. It may not seem necessary now but like others have said, it's a bit more "future proof" for apps and software than the 5s. You'll soon find the 5s slowing with new software and unable to handle the newer apps. €100 now may mean an extra year or two before you have to change again. You have to look at it in a "cost per day" scenario. My 6 is 2.5 years old and tbh I don't see me changing for another year at least. It'll depend on how well it runs ios11.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Definitely look at a 5SE or >. Also, make sure you back up those photos/vidoes somewhere before upgrading. If you don't want to spring for iCloud storage, back them up to a computer and throw them into Dropbox or Google Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Can I ask how you are still in contract on a 4yr old phone???

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Can I ask how you are still in contract on a 4yr old phone???

Just under 2 years ago, VF offered me an upgrade if i signed up for 2 years - I got a new handset for free that I sold for a good price and kept using my old one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement