Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eGPU - Laptop experiences

Options
  • 20-06-2017 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

HI Guys,

I thinking about upgrading my rig, but since building my PC the limitations of not beinging able to bring my work with me on the go.

I like the idea of a plug and play type solution where you have the mobility of the laptop for light programming but with an eGPU docking station that could be used for video editing/ content creation. I know a laptop and seperate PC would also work but i am curious as to people's experiences with an eGPU as opposed to the latter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There are loads of different models available, always meant to try the Chinese ones but never got around to it. However the Alienware Amplifier definitely works extremely well, so if you got a decent Alienware now with an i7-7700 CPU, and have a decent monitor and the amplifier on a desk at home, it would last a very long time in that dual role.

Though just for video editing would it really make a huge amount of difference? The processor makes a titanic difference but GPU less so in terms of what you get back from your investment, especially now when laptop GPU's are not as far behind their desktop versions (eg GTX1060, 1070, 1080 class cards in laptop form).

Mostly designed for gaming setups rather than video editing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Linus just did a head to head, Direct PCIE vs Thunderbolt made a huge difference. Worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dilla505

<snip>

Cheers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

7 years, 1 post, 1 infraction. Not the best batting average.

Necrothread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement