Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Epilation pain/redness

• 20-06-2017 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right forum for this...

So I epilated the shizzle out of my legs last night for the first ever time. After years of shaving and more recently having to deal with constant stubble and fake tan dark spots, I thought this would be the ideal solution. I have a conference in Brussels tomorrow and with the weather above 30 degrees, figured I'd get it done in time to tan and have lovely smooth and flawless legs...

OR NOT. My legs are red, bumpy, painful and unsightly. I've been popping painkillers to deal with the pain, which is not substantial really, at this rate I just need the redness to die down and the dots to disappear so I can throw on some tan and not look diseased tomorrow!

Anyone ever dealt with this before?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Moved to Beauty, lots of knowledge in here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Yeah mine were like that the first time I epilated, it died down after a day or so. You're essentially tweezing the hairs out so if they were coarse after shaving for so long it will hurt!

I tend to use aloe vera gel after waxing or epilating, it's quite soothing and reduces the redness.

Hope it clears up by tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Thanks MissIT! Will def be investing in aloe vera if I decide to ventor into the land of epilation again. Still slightly traumatised...

A lot of the redness has died down, however it seems to have provoked a serious case of "chicken skin" in me - you know those little red dots all over your legs. Ive googled it and Keratosis pilaris is the closest resemblance. I've never really had a major issue with it but my legs are covered in them since I epilated and they seem to be under the skin as opposed to on the surface. Bloody annoying as I'd rather have my hairy legs back than have to deal with this. Anyone ever experienced it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

You're essentially pulling the hair and it's root out through the skin so it'll probably be like this the first few times. Happened me when I first started waxing.

Only advice I can give is exfoliate your skin(once it's settled down) good exfoliation before epilating or waxing really helps.

Epilate when you're out of the shower, the warm water should have helped open pores.

And moisturise the hell out of your skin.

The bumby skin you've experienced should go after a day or so. It does get easier and less painfull the more you do it.

Personally, I just shave now. I can't be doing with the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Thanks Ladela! Yup the hassle of epilation is just too much methinks. Not so much the pain as I have a high threshold and it doesn't really bother me, but can't be dealing with the redness and scarring, which sort of defeats the purpose of getting rid of all the hairlessness if you're still going to wind up uber self-conscious about your legs anyway!

Think I'm going to start looking into laser removal and just be done with it, since shaving and epilation aren't giving me the results I want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement