Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop hard drive

• 20-06-2017 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Haven't been in the market for a laptop for a while. A lot of the ones at the moment have 32 or 64 gb others 500 gb or 1 tb. Why such a difference? Are the newer drives able to run most programs on a laptop? I would have thought quite a sizeable chunk of that would be taken up by existing programs.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

drives of 256 and lower are SSD and are faster
    128 is too small if you want movies and such - treat as poverty spec for occasional use
    anything less you might as well get a tablet and stick an SD card in it.

larger drives are spinning rust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭webpal

So why the huge reduction in capacity? External drives? Just looking at did.ie for example and most laptops are 32/64gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Are the 32GB & 64GB ones Netbooks rather than laptops? If so it's probably soldered flash memory rather than SSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭webpal

They are laptops - just looking at PC world and they have emmc which is not ssd. I'm just looking at something under 500 quid and maybe that's why all I see is this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

webpal wrote: »
    They are laptops - just looking at PC world and they have emmc which is not ssd. I'm just looking at something under 500 quid and maybe that's why all I see is this.

That was it ... eMMC ... I couldn't think of the exact type when I posted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement