Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to plant strawberries?!

Options
  • 20-06-2017 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I have just dug up a very old strawberry patch (approx 10 foot long x 3 foot wide)
    I dug up all the old strawberry plants as there were only a couple that had fruited (tiny strawberries!)
    I have some aged cow manure and have bought some good quality vegetable top soil that I was going to add to the patch.
    Is it a bad idea to plant out some strawberry plants? Everbearing Ones maybe? Or should I just cover with weed fabric and have it ready for next year?!
    Is there any way to know if the patch is harbouring any diseases?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

From seed its too late for this year, if you buy some plants you should get some fruit this year.

For future reference if the old plants had runners (like long stalks with a v on the end and leaves on top) you can put the v part into pot with well watered compost and a pin holding it into the soil while leaving it attached to the plant, keep it watered and in about a month it should have rooted and you can then cut the runner and have a new strawberry plant.

Advertisement