Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portion size for adult male

• 20-06-2017 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi there,

For an adult male (5'11'' 13stone 2pounds, moderately active) what would be considered a normal portion size?
    For dinner had a chicken maryland (from butcher so full large fillet that they bread themselves) with carrots peas and baby potatoes.
    My friend called in and was aghast that I was having a full chicken maryland in one sitting - she reckons they have two between herself, hubby and two kids (7 and 9)
    Would one Maryland (from butcher, not the small prepacked ones) be considered a lot for one meal?
    Have standard breakfast and lunch as well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Perfectly normal. Sharing one chicken fillet between 2 adults and 2 children is just mad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

*Moved from the Food forum. I think it's better suited to Nutrition & Diet, OP, and you're more likely to get advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Alun wrote: »
    Perfectly normal. Sharing one chicken fillet between 2 adults and 2 children is just mad.

Thanks, its two she does.
    Lets them cool and then slices thinly with the electric carver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

frankz wrote: »
    Thanks, its two she does.
    Lets them cool and then slices thinly with the electric carver.

Even cutting chicken marylands with an electric carver should let you know this woman is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Hi there,

For an adult male (5'12'' 13stone 2pounds, moderately active) what would be considered a normal portion size?
    For dinner had a chicken maryland (from butcher so full large fillet that they bread themselves) with carrots peas and baby potatoes.
    For a man of 5'12", that sounds fine. Now if you were, say, 4'24", it might be a different story altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

For a man of 5'12", that sounds fine. Now if you were, say, 4'24", it might be a different story altogether.

Agree with this. If you ever break into the 6 foot category post up OP and we can review portion sizes again

Apologies. Fat thumbs - 5'11

Oh fair enough just delete it if you are just going to make fun of me

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Perfectly normal to eat that.id say at least one chicken Maryland per adult.no offence to your friend but sharing one between 2 adults and sharing again for kids seems a bit tight.your man is probably half starved.
    I knew a lad one time who was doing work on a house and the woman living there offered him a bowl of chicken soup.he says to her let the fukker that ate the chicken have the soup.same lad would have great craic if you're friend commented on what he was eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pterosaur

Hi there,

For an adult male (5'11'' 13stone 2pounds, moderately active) what would be considered a normal portion size?
    My friend called in and was aghast that I was having a full chicken maryland in one sitting - she reckons they have two between herself, hubby and two kids (7 and 9)
    Would one Maryland (from butcher, not the small prepacked ones) be considered a lot for one meal?
    Have standard breakfast and lunch as well.

Depends on what your goals are and what your eating the rest of the day. Do you want to lose weight (fat) or gain weight (with the aim of gaining muscle)?

Take the guessing out of it!!!

Weigh your food and track your calories, estimate your daily calorie burn too. At least for a few days so you have an idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Doesn't really matter what your portion size is as long as it fits your cal target, 2 big meals = 4 small meals = 6 tiny ones etc etc.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

For someone not trying to lose/ gain weight, hit macro targets etc, is weighing not a bit extreme?

Never seen it discussed so I look forward to it being ripped to shreds, but we have tried with the children the whole meat (protein) the size of your hand, carbs the size of your fist, veg the size of your cupped hands bit.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    For someone not trying to lose/ gain weight, hit macro targets etc, is weighing not a bit extreme?
    Guessing the OP was concerned enough to post the question, weighing is no bad thing even for someone with little desire to change, it's always good to have at least some basic knowledge of what you're consuming.
    Never seen it discussed so I look forward to it being ripped to shreds, but we have tried with the children the whole meat (protein) the size of your hand, carbs the size of your fist, veg the size of your cupped hands bit.

I like that approach, keeps it simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

bladespin wrote: »
    Guessing the OP was concerned enough to post the question, weighing is no bad thing even for someone with little desire to change, it's always good to have at least some basic knowledge of what you're consuming.
    It's definitely eye opening. Well it was when I started, but more the carbs than the meat tbh.

Pterosaur wrote: »
    Depends on what your goals are and what your eating the rest of the day. Do you want to lose weight (fat) or gain weight (with the aim of gaining muscle)?

Take the guessing out of it!!!

Weigh your food and track your calories, estimate your daily calorie burn too. At least for a few days so you have an idea!

bladespin wrote: »

I like that approach, keeps it simple.

Thanks a mill for all the help.

Ya - originally posted in food cause it was more a general question around norms than trying to lose/gain. But makes 100% sense to me why mod moved it here so perfect with that.

Interesting tho - will weight the next one (pre or post cooking?) and report back, so it seems generally one breaded fillet would be considered a normal portion size.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Even cutting chicken marylands with an electric carver should let you know this woman is insane.

Oh. Loads agreed with you.
    Just out of interest - why?

She slices them up thinly and presents them nicely with loads of colour from veg and salads and makes it look appetizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Depends on activity levels, personally 2 or 3 chicken fillets would be standard for me if chicken for dinner with spuds and veg, but the sister wouldn't eat a quarter what I eat one brother would be the same as me and the other wouldn't eat as much in meals but would ago thru a lot supplements, powder etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How suitable a chicken fillet, chicken maryland, etc is for someone depends a lot on the size of it.
    Could be anywhere from 180 cals to 450 cals. Check the weight and compare with prepacked calories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    How suitable a chicken fillet, chicken maryland, etc is for someone depends a lot on the size of it.
    +1, some butchers can have huge chicken fillets.

The "10 for 10" fillets many are used to are typically 110-140g, a fillet cut off a large whole chicken is over twice that. I find it odd that you do not often see big ones more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rubadub wrote: »
    +1, some butchers can have huge chicken fillets.

The "10 for 10" fillets many are used to are typically 110-140g, a fillet cut off a large whole chicken is over twice that. I find it odd that you do not often see big ones more often.

Yeah my local butcher has ones about 110-120g that you'll get a 5-for-5 on and then the bigger ones are closer to 200g.

• Advertisement

OP here.

So the Maryland I got is 248g (prior to cooking)
    What kind of calorie region would that be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Does it have a filling? Is it coated in breadcrumbs?

Tbh most of those are made with reconstituted chicken and are pure ****e. Could be anything from 300/500 cals, more if it's filled with garlic butter/cream sauce.

No, as stated earlier they are fillets that the butcher bread themselves.
    Standard Chicken Maryland - so light breadcrumb coat.
    No filling - as I understand it marylands don't, that would be kievs etc.

Very roughly 400cal OP.

Taken from a 190g Superquinn chicken Maryland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If they are around 250g, then it's pretty reasonable to have 2 between 2 adults and 2 kids.
    Tigger99 wrote: »
    Tbh most of those are made with reconstituted chicken and are pure ****e. Could be anything from 300/500 cals, more if it's filled with garlic butter/cream sauce.
    Marylands should really always be whole chicken cuts not like nuggets, burgers or other processed crap.

Mellor wrote: »
    If they are around 250g, then it's pretty reasonable to have 2 between 2 adults and 2 kids.

Thanks dude. Maybe she is not as crazy as we thought!!

Advertisement