Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amature Drama.

• 20-06-2017 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Is there some where I can get a list of amateur dramatic production companies and solo (one person) productions here in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

I don't think there is a definitive list anywhere.such a thing would be a nightmare to maintain, so many groups set up a company for a single purpose (a specific festival or tour) and then change thereafterwards, same with solo performers. Just look at the number of companies participating in fringe for example many of which will never be seen or heard of again.
    Are you looking to join a group or promote a specific service?
    The drama league of Ireland have a good website that lists the more established companies but if you were looking for startups or purely amateur groups they are not included. The website does however have other useful resources.
    Only other recommendation would be to get your ear to the ground and keep an eye on the fringe circuit, scene and heard, new theatre,teachers club, the mill, theatre upstairs, the complex, pearse centre, etc. and take note of the companies/performers you like and start following them on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Clonyn

We are a local Hall committee, in the midlands, looking to invite amateur drama companies or individuals to trial their productions in our facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Your best chance is to check local newspapers and listings for theatres/other venues in your area.

I don't know what facilities you have to offer to an amateur drama group but they will probably have to be great or very cheap to attract groups who are not in your immediate locality.

Or are you offering to pay groups to put on plays in your hall? Groups would have to be well known or have a very popular play to attract audiences on a regular basis.

There would be no charge for the use of our facility, in fact we would be in a position to offer some payment to cover their expenses. Our seating capacity is approx 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

Clonyn wrote: »
    Is there some where I can get a list of amature dramatic production companies and solo (one person) productions here in Ireland?

AMATEUR "A MATURE" MIGHT CONJURE UP EXPLOITS OF A SEXUAL NATURE.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

There would be no charge for the use of our facility, in fact we would be in a position to offer some payment to cover their expenses. Our seating capacity is approx 200.

I live 12 miles from Birr in Tipperary.
    There are quiet a few groups around the area. If you want to PM me I can pass on contacts.

Rachiee wrote: »
    The drama league of Ireland have a good website that lists the more established companies but if you were looking for startups or purely amateur groups they are not included. The website does however have other useful resources.

A large proportion of the Drama League of Ireland's membership are amateur drama groups. (There are individuals who hold membership also)

I suspect that the membership list isn't "for sale" as data protection would probably be an issue. However you should try calling them and ask what information is possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Hey Clonyn,

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity.

Are you looking for a company/society to come in and put on work?
    Or are you looking for a director to come in and work with the locals with a view to putting on a show?

Here's a list of musical societies in the midlands, it might be a starting point to get some information

http://www.aims.ie/societies.php?r=m

Also the Amateur Drama Council might be able to highlight your offer through their social media

http://adci.ie

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

A large proportion of the Drama League of Ireland's membership are amateur drama groups. ..
    I suspect that the membership list isn't "for sale" as data protection would probably be an issue. However you should try calling them and ask what information is possible.

I was more referring to this specific list on the DLI website http://irishtheatre.ie/companies which lists emails and phone numbers useful but yes like that no where near a comprehensive list of members

We are offering a venue (with some expenses paid) to a suitable group/individual.

• Advertisement

Now that does sound like something groups would be interested in!

200 is a good size for amateur drama.

Amateur drama in my experience tends to be very seasonal with very little activity from May to September (there are of course exceptions)

Groups who participate on the festival circuits, both the three act (Feb-May) and the one act (Oct-Dec) are probably the most likely to use a venue to hone their productions, but only if your venue is good enough.

An average set often takes several hours to erect, dress, light and strike for a full length play, performance rights, transport and costume hire etc are also significant costs so groups will probably need a reasonable return, but it's not always a purely financial decision.

You should prepare an information pack giving stage dimensions detailing wings etc, technical equipment available, stage access for bringing in sets etc.

Rachiee wrote: »
    I was more referring to this specific list on the DLI website http://irishtheatre.ie/companies which lists emails and phone numbers useful but yes like that no where near a comprehensive list of members

That's not on the DLI website, I'm guessing they provide a link to it though.

A quick google found this

http://www.filmoffaly.ie/drama

Obviously not conclusive, but it's a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 michaeldu1

We are offering a venue (with some expenses paid) to a suitable group/individual.

Hi,
    I might have something of interest for you - a one person show etc
    Please contact me if you want further info.
    Michael

Advertisement