Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I make money by selling PC's I build?

Options
  • 20-06-2017 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I just wanted to know,is it possible to make money by selling PC's online or is it a risky business? Personally I do think it's possible t make money from it and the profit margins wouldn't be tiny for me as my dad is a director of a company so I can buy the parts tax free. The main thing I need to know is, what could happen if something messed up in the computer. Could I get sued or is there a way around that? What would I do with stuff like the warrenty? That kind of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're a minor, stop there. Its too much to take on.

If you purchase parts as a company you will have to offer warranty/repairs up to 2-6yrs depending on legal interpretation. Also remember profits would be taxed.

Users on here do it but its mainly niche stuff, mainstream builds you cannot compete with OEMs and system integrators.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

So would it be worth it and is there any downside to offering warrantys?

Could that be ilegal somehow or is it ok to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Iveee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭satguy

It can be hard to make money just building PC's and selling them. You need to carry extra stock just in case some buyer comes back with a broken PC. Maybe you swap out a Graphics Card and send him back on his way, maybe he wants his €900 back.

You need to figure out where you might sell these PC's, if you go to somewhere like Adverts, you really need to Keep your Feedback Green < like that.

Some system builders on Adverts have green Feedback into the hundreds and work hard to stay green.

Then there are guys that just do it for a hobby Like Sam, while he is not always looking to turn a profit on every PC he might build, you would still have to compete with these hobby builders.

• Advertisement

Is being a minor a big disadvantage?

Also, how long does a warranty have to last?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Also, how long does a warranty have to last?

"Reasonable lifespan" so probably 6yrs for desktops that often hit 10yrs (excluding HDD).

I tried it a few years ago but the profit margins are so narrow its not worth it. PC World will have a sale of stock and be selling PCs for 300/400 quid and eat into your customer base. One dodgy graphics card could wipe out your profit for a week when you factor in time, replacement costs etc. Add in people who now think you are their personal tech support person for free, just because they bought the PC from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 X200

Hi all,
    I just wanted to know,is it possible to make money by selling PC's online or is it a risky business? Personally I do think it's possible t make money from it and the profit margins wouldn't be tiny for me as my dad is a director of a company so I can buy the parts tax free. The main thing I need to know is, what could happen if something messed up in the computer. Could I get sued or is there a way around that? What would I do with stuff like the warrenty? That kind of thing.

If you claim VAT on purchases through your father's company for your own use this is effectively small scale tax fraud. If his company was ever audited by Revenue he'd have to pay this all back plus interest plus surcharges. Another issue is technically he'd be gifting you the VAT element you'd be saving so depending on your circumstances there could be capital acquisitions tax implications.

You can set up your own company to do this but you'd have to have annual sales of at least €75k per year to register for VAT, so you can claim it on your purchases, but at that point you'd also have to charge 23% VAT on your sales.

So yeah don't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

X200 wrote: »
    If you claim VAT on purchases through your father's company for your own use this is effectively small scale tax fraud. If his company was ever audited by Revenue he'd have to pay this all back plus interest plus surcharges. Another issue is technically he'd be gifting you the VAT element you'd be saving so depending on your circumstances there could be capital acquisitions tax implications.

You can set up your own company to do this but you'd have to have annual sales of at least €75k per year to register for VAT, so you can claim it on your purchases, but at that point you'd also have to charge 23% VAT on your sales.

So yeah don't do that.

You can register for Vat no mater what your turnover. You have to register if you exceed €75k for goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 X200

emmetkenny wrote: »
    You can register for Vat no mater what your turnover. You have to register if you exceed €75k for goods.

Why would you do that?

Why would you do that?

Loads of reasons. You could be purchasing items in Ireland, manufacturing a product and exporting. You could be buying machinery and selling zero rated goods. You could be a start up buying vehicles/tools etc and only have small sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why would you do that?

To avoid court/jail, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Loads of reasons. You could be purchasing items in Ireland, manufacturing a product and exporting. You could be buying machinery and selling zero rated goods. You could be a start up buying vehicles/tools etc and only have small sales.

but this kids not talking of doing any of this.

donegal. wrote: »
    but this kids not talking of doing any of this.

I never said he was. I was responding to the other poster.

So is it a bad idea to get involved in this kinda thing?

Or would it be better if I just sold some PC's on adverts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

So is it a bad idea to get involved in this kinda thing?

If your able I think you would make more money fixing pcs and laptops.if you can do it right and don't rip people off.
    Theres a lot of cowboys in that game so it would be nice to meet a genuine guy.ie you :)

The only problem with that is that I haven't tried fixing a lot of pc's. I fixed mine before but that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Or would it be better if I just sold some PC's on adverts?

Good idea, you wouldn't lose as much money until you realised it was a non-runner.

1) how are you going to assemble PCs competitively compared to manufacturers who buy components in hundreds of thousands.
    2) why would people buy off you rather than a known brand
    3) how will you offer warranty repairs/replacements

Sorry to be blunt but nothing you've said so for would suggest you have any chance of doing this with any sort of profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Get a job in tesco. You will make more money.

Buying equipment through your dads company to avoid vat would in essence be fraudulent.

Have a look at what PCs are actually selling for, but checking adverts ebay etc. for sold listings, not asking price, and price up the parts (including VAT and delivery) and see how much (if any) profit you would make, before you even factor in your own time.

I used to work for a company that did this very thing, but closed down in 2012.

The big issues we had were that the likes of Komplett, Dabs or HWVS were selling components cheaper than the prices the wholesalers were charging us! So it was very difficult to stay competitive. Normal home users don't really buy PCs anymore either, so you'd be focussing on a market that are probably able to build the PCs themselves anyway.

You have to be very careful selecting components too, to be sure that there are no nasty compatibility issues.

My solution to question 1 is customize the computer to the person's needs and/or make my PC's different such as redesigning cases, spray painting certain parts of components and offering PC's at lower prices then manufacturors.
    My answer to question 2 is also the above.
    My answer to question 3 is, what would be likely to break? I will be selling PC's with reliable components so the chances of something breaking are tiny.

Karsini wrote: »
    it was very difficult to stay competitive.

+1

I'd say starting competitive would be a big enough challenge never mind staying competitive.

Graham wrote: »
    +1

I'd say starting competitive would be a big enough challenge never mind staying competitive.

I should have probably said "difficult to be competitive."

Getting a job in places like Tesco's isn't an option as they won't take in kids my age. They rarely take in leaving certs.

My solution to question 1 is customize the computer to the person's needs and/or make my PC's different such as redesigning cases, spray painting certain parts of components and offering PC's at lower prices then manufacturors.
    My answer to question 2 is also the above.
    My answer to question 3 is, what would be likely to break? I will be selling PC's with reliable components so the chances of something breaking are tiny.

1) Most people aren't interested in custom jobs, those that are tend to do their homework around vendors.
    2) see 1
    3) Chances of something breaking in the period over which you'd be obligated to fix are far from tiny when you've a few units out there.

How many is a "few" units?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Imallrightjack

The only problem with that is that I haven't tried fixing a lot of pc's. I fixed mine before but that's it.

Well if you know how to build one the names of all the parts and where they go and what they do.after that its software issues that's where google comes in.most desktop pc s won't have anything major wrong and if they do its usually a common problem.totally fixable with a bit of research.
    Anyway just an idea.good luck with it all.

Advertisement