Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drool rash

Options
  • 20-06-2017 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

The little lad has a bad drool rash on his chin, spreading on to his chest. Weve been to 3 different doctors, each given different creams but none seem to be working.

Does anyone knkw of a good dermatologist we could probably go to see?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Out of interest, what have you tried? We have the same problem. A pharmacist gave us Epaderm and it worked on his baby eczema, but only made a very slight difference to the drool rash on his chin and chest. It looks pretty bad. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be annoying him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Out of interest, what have you tried? We have the same problem. A pharmacist gave us Epaderm and it worked on his baby eczema, but only made a very slight difference to the drool rash on his chin and chest. It looks pretty bad. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be annoying him though.

We've tried diprobase, canisten hc, regular canisten, sudocreme, silcocks base etc etc. All on recommendation of the docs. Rash is only getting worse and looks very sore

thehamo wrote: »
    We've tried diprobase, canisten hc, regular canisten, sudocreme, silcocks base etc etc. All on recommendation of the docs. Rash is only getting worse and looks very sore

Have you tried something as simple as Vaseline? Just started it in the last few days and it's improving more than it was with the cream the pharmacist recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Is there anything in the moogoo range that might suit? Anything I've used out of that range has worked magic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Try Emollient Ointment (available in any chemist.) Or Moogoo Irritable Skin Balm.

A lot of the things you mentioned - e.g. Silcocks Base, Sudocrem, Canisten - will absolutely only make things worse if baby has skin that is in any way sensitive. The two I mentioned above will definitely not make things worse, and might help a lot. Well worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 bluepants

I was recommended a la Roche posay cream called cicaplast baume B5 for the chin rash and find it works, it's worth a try too, ask in chemist about it.
    My little one also has eczema an a few gps recommended silcocks Base which did not help at all.

My GP has just advised canesten mixed with a little hydrocortisyl 1%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

My GP has just advised canesten mixed with a little hydrocortisyl 1%

Thats what we were using. Canisten HC 1%. Made it a lot worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I've been battling drool rash on my little girl for over 2 years and have posted about it here before. She suffers from mild eczema and has an awful habit of licking around her lips which causes the rash. Salty/acidic food also aggrevates it. I tried everything already posted on this thread, also had a few rounds of antibiotics and steroids that didn't improve it at all. I found the hc cream would make it better for a few days then it would get way worse.

The only thing that has helped is using Vaseline intensive lotion followed by a layer of Aquaphor salve. In the beginning I had to apply it every hour, if not more often. It took a good few weeks to improve and then I scaled the mousturising back to a few times a day. It still flares up the odd time and I have to go back to the constant mousturising.

We've been using canesten and hydrocortisyl for a few days now and it's much improved. Hopefully this effect will last.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Our Doctor recommended Hydrocortisone when our son had a rash on his face, but I find the different brands have different levels of results.

The best one in our experience is the one in the dark blue tube. I think it's called Cortisil or something like that that. It's in a navy blue box and tube and it's way better than the other bigger branded ones. You won't find it in the likes of Boots. I always find the smaller pharmacies tend to stock it.

Works after a couple of applications and then we just made sure to keep up the emollients in the bath and use barriers like Vaseline on the area after that.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

My lo had this rash on her chin/neck since birth up til over 1 year old. I tried all the OTC creams. Eventually in the last month I started putting Daktarin or Daktacort (the OH had both as he was prescribed it for some of his many skin issues!) diligently everyday. I coudln't believe it after over a year of it it was gone within a fortnight. I'm so fecking glad it's finally gone!!

Advertisement