Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Garden Design

Options
  • 20-06-2017 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi,

So I'm looking to make my back garden more presentable. I'm looking to put another wall at the top of the steps in the picture. Then create more steps over on the left hand side and level out the top part of the garden. There will be a fence between us and next door on the right hand side. Does this seems like the easiest idea?

On another note, the earth is very rocky including large rocks. How difficult would it be to create a lawn on the top level with this earth? I was thinking of putting grass on the middle level also.

Love to hear any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had a garden a bit like that at one stage, and yes, all you can really do is put in retaining walls. How would you access the steps on the left? If you put in grass you will walk across it every time?

Have you thought about the labour of cutting the grass on those levels, hauling up a mower? You would of course only need a small one, but it would need a cable from a power point somewhere. Would you consider having the bottom level paved and some tubs of flowers on it. Then maybe the higher levels leave them with a bit of a slope and put in ground cover shrubs and plants. That way you will be able to see them, and you will not have to mow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

I hadn't thought that about the gras but you are right, it would be better off having paving there alright. There's not too much space to cover anyway.

I had planned on using a manual mower for the grass on the top level. I like the idea of having a bit of a lawn up there. As you say, I'm not totally sure on how feasible it is. Some food for thought at least!

Advertisement