Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with large logs?

Options
  • 20-06-2017 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so cut down trees in September last year. majority are cut up and stacked in sheds. The larger ones I have just stacked and now they are getting in way, I am wonder what I could do with them

Attached pic of one of them...trying to cut up with chain saw is not really an option

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The pic will not load. If you are feeling really woodsman-y you could use splitting wedges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

looksee wrote: »
    The pic will not load. If you are feeling really woodsman-y you could use splitting wedges.

Not really me 😀

looksee wrote: »

Loading here, that is 1 log, have about 100 big ones similar to it, with wedges would be at it all year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Why is cutting them with a chainsaw not an option?

I had a whole pile of those (well, oak) until last winter - a load of thick knotty pieces that we used to use to tease visitors (getting them to try splitting them with an axe). Anyway we ran out of naive visitors and like yourself, the pile was annoying me, so I split the lot of them over the course of a week. If you study the gain carefully, you should be able to see where you can split it successfully. The blow of the axe might need to be off centre to break the log. Looking at that picture (it does load, but it's massive), I think you could expect to get a decent number of "normal" pieces from the half facing the cladding. Then chainsaw the rest into smaller bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Hire a decent log splitter. I have a 13 ton one and it would make short work.of them. Only drawback I can see is the size of fireplace needed.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they look like leylandii? if so, not much use other than firewood. let them season well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Loading here, that is 1 log, have about 100 big ones similar to it, with wedges would be at it all year

If you're rural based a farmer may have a rear mounted tractor log splitter? One good days work would see a lot of timber split and it would be far easier to manipulate it into suitable sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Link says 40 ton of force, if so would do them easily, but as previously mentioned season well.

It is mixture of leylandii and lots of other types of trees

I am just wondering would there be any sort of companies that would have any interest in these types of logs? not looking for money or anything. Just a way to move them on.....

• Advertisement

The "other types" might be of interest to some of the folks over on the woodworking/woodturning forum, depending on exactly what trees they were, and the quality of the wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Put an add on donedeal 'free firewood - needs to be split'. Otherwise burn it yourself. The pic you posted isn't worth the hassle of splitting: took down and split 300 feet of leylandii some years ago...never again.

The "other types" might be of interest to some of the folks over on the woodworking/woodturning forum, depending on exactly what trees they were, and the quality of the wood.

White torn tree, all sorts of sh*t to be honest. It was a huge hedge growing around house. Cut the whole thing down.

Can't see much use for it apart from fire wood. Just wouldn't want the hassle myself of chopping it up.

I have 3 sheds full of logs that I already cut up from the trees. These are the larger bits which I didn't cut up with chain saw

Put an add on donedeal 'free firewood - needs to be split'. Otherwise burn it yourself. The pic you posted isn't worth the hassle of splitting: took down and split 300 feet of leylandii some years ago...never again.

Hate the site of leylandii now. Awful bloody thing. The trees had grew uncut for 20-30 years. Bloody disaster. 3 weeks of 4 of us non stop cutting last year got rid of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have a look to see if there are any woodturners guilds in your locality - some of them may be interested in the whitethorn.

Is there any demand in Ireland these days for chipping for biomass? Over here, you'd call one of these guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv1YOVy6YuM and he'd turn the whole lot into a lorry load of wood chips in half an hour. Really impressive to see in action! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nell B

Perhaps not your thing but you could make a raised bed using hugelkultur / hugel culture method - loads of stuff on Google about this method. The would rot down out of sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hate the site of leylandii now. Awful bloody thing. The trees had grew uncut for 20-30 years. Bloody disaster. 3 weeks of 4 of us non stop cutting last year got rid of them.

Agreed, those slow-growing conifers are an ugly pest in a garden.

But the timber is absolutely brilliant firewood: a b1tch to cut, yes, and slow to light, but it burns hot, hot, hot!

Perfect for a stove or kitchen range, etc. And almost free, too.

season it for two seasons though if you plan on burning it. it's sappy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Jamesgrace

Shefwedfan wrote:
    I am just wondering would there be any sort of companies that would have any interest in these types of logs? not looking for money or anything. Just a way to move them on.....

If you're not looking for money you won't have any hassle moving them on! Have you tried done deal or adverts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

"The man who cuts his own firewood warms himself twice".....proverb.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not really me 😀

Had a similar situation a few years back and found splitting logs fantastic exercise and very satisfying. Hatchet, wedges and a sledgehammer and you'll be through them quick enough and wishing you you had more. Way more fun than you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

I'd just crack them with an axe...if u stick them on done deal for free they will be gone by the end of the week

"The man who cuts his own firewood warms himself twice".....proverb.

A picture speaks a thousand words :-)

This is before I finished. All of those sheds are now full

You can see some of the big ones sitting at front.

Even if I cut up myself I have no space to store them :-)

A picture speaks a thousand words :-)

This is only with about 60% of the job done.....

Wow, that is a whole lot of logs to be fair! You'd certainly need to leave them to dry out for months or longer to use them as firing.

smacl wrote: »
    Wow, that is a whole lot of logs to be fair! You'd certainly need to leave them to dry out for months or longer to use them as firing.

A couple alright.....

They are 12 months drying now. So another few months and the white torn will be ready for burning...

The leylandii will be given 2 years at least

Oh, I'd love to take an axe those lads in front of the railings! :mrgreen:

You'd have loads of space if you stacked them properly, though, instead of just heaping them up like that.

.P1050537_m.jpg

You'd have loads of space if you stacked them properly, though, instead of just heaping them up like that.

To be honest I have better things to be at :p:p

Was thinking the same myself. Boards mad axe wielding maniac party :pac:

• Advertisement

Great! Time & place? :cool:
    To be honest I have better things to be at :p:p

Do you not have any people with OCD that you can invite around for a cup of tea? Set up a table in the yard there and have them facing that messy pile until they can't stand it any longer. :D

Or pitch it as an idea to Operation Transformation! :pac:

Advertisement