Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Potty to Toilet....

Options
  • 20-06-2017 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

So we've had a very unexpected success at potty training my little boy at 2 and a half. Honestly wasn't expecting it to work after everything I had been told and read but the weather was good and here we are a week later with no accidents. He has even pooped on it.

Now however I'm stressed, I didn't actually think beyond the initial training. How do we get from potty to toilet? Currently I have multiple potties at home and the childminder has one. We've been on short trips out but like what do we do if we're out and there's no potty? How do I start on the toilet side of things? :eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

So we've had a very unexpected success at potty training my little boy at 2 and a half. Honestly wasn't expecting it to work after everything I had been told and read but the weather was good and here we are a week later with no accidents. He has even pooped on it.

Now however I'm stressed, I didn't actually think beyond the initial training. How do we get from potty to toilet? Currently I have multiple potties at home and the childminder has one. We've been on short trips out but like what do we do if we're out and there's no potty? How do I start on the toilet side of things? :eek::eek::eek:

I moved to a toilet very quickly, because the emptying of the potty was just too much for me! I got one of those seat things that sits on top of the adult toilet seats, and a step, and made a big deal about him using the big boy toilet. He took to it in no time.
    The minder had similar, and when out and about I just held on to him to make sure he didn't fall in!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Hehe, I remember this!Honestly all I could think was ...if I can get her to go once on a public toilet, I'm sorted.And it was true.first attempt wasn't successful, but second time she was a bit more comfortable with using the potty at home so she did it.I do have to hold her up on the toilet but you can buy fold up toilet seats for kids for out and about and obviously get seats for the toilets in your house.I think you can get the fold ups on Amazon.We kept the potty going for a good while although she did also use the toilet because it took ages to get poos ok, but lately it's been hidden and she's doing great with the toilet.I've decided to take a step back and let her 'own' it, I just remind her a lot that the toilet is right there and to go when she feels it coming....and she's doing it!I was probably pushing her to go too much before, and it resulted in refusal.Toddlers!
    In summary....you kind of just have to go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

A little step helps at home, our potty has a lid that doubles as a step.

Once there is climbing involved, they love it. ;)

And then when out and about, lift them up onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're going to need to bring a potty with you for a few weeks. A friend had suggested that there was a method of propping a child on your knee and getting them to pee at the side of the road, which we tried and my wife got a pee-soaked leg.

So bring the potty with you when you go out until the child is used to being propped up on public toilets. As others say, that may require you bringing the baby seat with you, though most kids can figure out a normal toilet seat if you hold them on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

seamus wrote: »
    You're going to need to bring a potty with you for a few weeks. A friend had suggested that there was a method of propping a child on your knee and getting them to pee at the side of the road, which we tried and my wife got a pee-soaked leg.

LMAO. Some friend!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have no mental image for how that might work!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I brought the potty out with me.....including to the airport last year!!! The transition to the toilet came in it's own time ;)

Advertisement