Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for tall thin hedge (small garden)

Options
  • 20-06-2017 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

Having looked through many many different plants for the back garden we have nearly settled on a copper beech hedge. Any reason why this is a bad idea??
    IMG_0733.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is a mature copper beech hedge near where I live and it has been well maintained - but it is still about 12 ft high and 5 ft thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's really, really hard to have a tall thin hedge, by tall exactly how tall do you mean?? Same for the width, I think any decent tall hedge will be 3-5ft at the base.

Unless you opt for something like bamboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A very narrow beech hedge is going to look a bit crap, IMO, particularly when bare.

You could use trellis and a climber, but then you'll be limited to 2m + a bit on the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

A carefully chosen clumping bamboo could work for you. Fast growing and easily maintained, gives height and privacy while still letting some light through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

What about willlow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Yew is the only thing that can be kept really thin. It will still grow wide but can be cut back hard provided you only do one side each year.

Otherwise a fence with plants grown up against it is the next best thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jdq

Thanks for replys, I can't seem to add a photo to show you the area. I have been looking at nothing else but bamboo for the last few months and my issue is any of the clumping varieties tend to be too dense and so would block out light. I need something that will grow to around 7/8 feet but isn't so dense that it blocks light. What I'm looking for doesn't seem to exist! Anyone have any experience with willow or yew?

A carefully chosen clumping bamboo could work for you. Fast growing and easily maintained, gives height and privacy while still letting some light through.

What variety of bamboo specifically do you mean?

jdq wrote: »
    What variety of bamboo specifically do you mean?
    Have a look at Phyllostachys, they're clumping bamboos and allow nice dappled light through.
    I'd think that Phyllostachys aurea would be your best bet.
    http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/phyllostachys-aurea---golden-bamboo/phyllostachys_aurea

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

What about willlow?

Willow have very invasive roots, will travel and find their way into drains and sewers which tue block quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Rancid wrote: »
    Have a look at Phyllostachys, they're clumping bamboos and allow nice dappled light through.
    I'd think that Phyllostachys aurea would be your best bet.
    http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/phyllostachys-aurea---golden-bamboo/phyllostachys_aurea

I'm not sure these are entirely clumping. I've read many stories of them spreading. Fargesia is more of a clumping variety but less vigorous.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I'm not sure these are entirely clumping. I've read many stories of them spreading. Fargesia is more of a clumping variety but less vigorous.
    My experience of them they've stayed clumped! I've 3 for nearly 20 years and had no sign of running at all.
    The Fargesia bamboos are lovely, I have to say. :)

Rancid wrote: »
    My experience of them they've stayed clumped! I've 3 for nearly 20 years and had no sign of running at all.
    The Fargesia bamboos are lovely, I have to say. :)

Thanks i could be tempted to try a few too then. I'm in a similar situation to the OP. Need privacy in a narrow space. I have Fargesia in a pot and agree it's lovely. Black bamboo looks beautiful too but it's a spreader i think.

Does anyone have a tall thin hedge in a tight spot and if so what did you use, this is like searching for the holy grail!😂

How tall do you want it to grow? I would say a single row beech could be kept fairly narrow with a yearly trim. I was considering it myself in a small garden too. Hornbeam is better in damper soil though.

Looking at 8 feet max. Wish I could add a photo to show you the area..

Advertisement