Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist killed in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Terrible news like this doesn't seem to cause a ripple anymore.
    R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

RIP to the man, condolences to his family and friends.....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

RIP - Shocked at the people so far :( ... let's not let this just become a number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

RIP

Condolences, comhbhrón to all who loved him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NellyJelly

That's terrible. Really makes you think about the how silly it is to sweat the small stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

And that's a residential road with speed ramps everywhere. Unbelievable. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

RIP poor man :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

RIP. Awful, awful news.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Yeah, dead straight road, good sight lines, speed bumps, road too narrow to speed on. How on earth did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's insane, I go past that road every day. A residential road, during the school run. One can't help but speculate (elsewhere).

RIP.

I'll be discussing this on Journalism and Cycling thread, rather than this thread for RIPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That poor man was using my gym a couple of months ago and I had chatted to him a number of times in the steam room and jacuzzi. Terrible nice man

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

check_six wrote: »
    Yeah, dead straight road, good sight lines, speed bumps, road too narrow to speed on. How on earth did this happen?
    Driver in his 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

endacl wrote: »
    Driver in his 80s

Tragic by all accounts really; can't imagine the man in his 80s was by any means a 'dangerous' driver and when you get to that age I'd imagine it's hard to give the car up or know when to give it up. I don't want to imply he is at fault here either as I don't know the details.

Highlights the need for segregated cycle lanes yet again. I can't see why, especially in Dublin city, this can't be achieved beyond the cries of a few motorist voters who will eventually get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ronoc wrote: »

that's so sad

that will be felt across a very wide community

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

RIP to the man, horrible thing to happen.

If I get to be that age I really doubt I would be driving anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

jive wrote: »
    Tragic by all accounts really; can't imagine the man in his 80s was by any means a 'dangerous' driver and when you get to that age I'd imagine it's hard to give the car up or know when to give it up. I don't want to imply he is at fault here either as I don't know the details.

Highlights the need for segregated cycle lanes yet again. I can't see why, especially in Dublin city, this can't be achieved beyond the cries of a few motorist voters who will eventually get over it.

I live around the corner from the accident site. Its a quiet residential area, segregated lanes wouldn't be feasible here and really shouldn't be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

tunney wrote: »
    I live around the corner from the accident site. Its a quiet residential area, segregated lanes wouldn't be feasible here and really shouldn't be necessary.

Absolutely agreed. I use that road regularly to avoid traffic. Most times of most days the whole road might as well be a cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That particular junction is notorious as a rat run and people in a rush trying to skip around queues of traffic. Which is what I assumed was the issue when I first heard it, but that likely doesn't apply in this case.

The teacher apparently taught at my primary school when I was there; I recognise the name but not the face. He would have been newly qualified at that time, so he probably taught kids younger than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

RIP.

Brings it a bit closer to home when it's a road you know well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Not familiar with the area, only commenting on my own experiences on cycling in Dublin and the consequences of this incident. Obviously not every road requires segregated lanes so I'll take your word for it!

A quietway would be feasible, preferably, if residents were willing to use their driveways instead of taking up road space to park

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2960773,-6.2923327,3a,75y,354.09h,87.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0xbRhuw5AeOCsR_z-KpFYw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's exactly the kind of road you would encourage your kids to detour off the main thoroughfares through.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

RIP

Advertisement