Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen's Green to IFSC by bike

Options
  • 21-06-2017 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I take the Luas to Stephen's Green where I get onto a Dublin Bike. My destination is the IFSC. Do DCC really expect people to cycle away from the IFSC first, down George's St, onto College Green and out the Quays that way? Obviously the most direct route is "illegal".. cycling around Stephen's Green anti clockwise, down Dawson St, Nassau St, Westland Row... then you are expected to go down Pearse St and up the Quays again. I see most people just mounting the footpath cycling the wrong way down Lombard St and over the "pedestrian only" Sean O Casey bridge. Why put a Dublin Bikes station at the end of a bridge where cycling is not allowed? Anybody else on here do this morning game of chicken? 
    Do most people on here obey the rules of the road, or cut corners that don't make sense?

Do you cycle legally all the time? (Multiple choice) 34 votes

Yes, all of the time.
    0% 0 votes
    No, I sometimes mount the footpath
    50% 17 votes
    No, I sometimes go down a one way street
    11% 4 votes
    No, I sometimes break red lights when safe
    11% 4 votes
    No - all of the above "no's"
    26% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I ticked all five boxes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i - and many other cyclists - do mount a footpath to get onto the east link northbound. the alternative is dicing with artic lorries for about 500m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

On Pearse st take first right onto Mark st, right onto Townsend St, left onto Princes st, right onto City Quay...then Sean O'Casey bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I do cycle (slowly) over the O'Casey bridge, as tbh I don't see the difference between cycling slowly and walking with the bike (you take up less space if you're on the bike).

I don't cycle the wrong way down Lombard St though, this is the legal option but it does involve crossing 4 lanes of traffic on Pearse St (which many cyclists would be uncomfortable doing).

They could easily accommodate a contra-flow cycle lane on Lombard St. if they removed some of the on-street parking. They could do with one on Nassau St too to make the whole Grafton St area more accessible by bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Thud wrote: »
    On Pearse st take first right onto Mark st, right onto Townsend St, left onto Princes st, right onto City Quay...then Sean O'Casey bridge
    That's a good shout. Better than being shouted at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

BBMcQ wrote: »
    That's a good shout. Better than being shouted at.

http://cycle.travel/map?from=st%20stephen's%20green&to=ifsc&fromLL=&toLL=

You don't need experience you just need cycle.travel!

I don't know how they do it but great at finding the quietest route by bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

loyatemu wrote: »

I don't cycle the wrong way down Lombard St though, this is the legal option but it does involve crossing 4 lanes of traffic on Pearse St (which many cyclists would be uncomfortable doing).

You need to take the right lane on westland row, not always easy with fast traffic and then take the right lane right away when you get onto pearse st

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

The odd time I get the LUAS in, heading to the IFSC, I always get off at Harcourt and get a Dublin Bike from Hatch Street. Saves a few mins IMO as the LUAS can take an age to get to SG. The cycle then also avoids all LUAS works. I go past Merrion Sq then do this : “On Pearse st take first right onto Mark st, right onto Townsend St, left onto Princes st, right onto City Quay...then Sean O'Casey bridge” PS : I do not illegally go through Lincoln Place but wrap around by Trinity.

Advertisement