Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JAG Corp

Options
  • 21-06-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Is there a PDF / RDF version of the JAG Corp?

I guess it was made quite famous by the series and its various spin offs, but I can't think of any other armed force that has such as famous legal secion.

If a soldier is being Court Martialled, are they represented by civilian briefs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wubba lubba dub dub

You can find out about the Military legal system at this link (www dot military dot ie/info-centre/courts-martial/)

There isn't a JAG Corps per se but there is a Judge Advocate General in place her name is Oonah McCrann SC (www dot lawlibrary dot ie/members/Oonah-McCrann/327 dot aspx)

If a soldier is being prosecuted by the Director of Military Prosecutions they would be represented by a civilian solicitor who will engage a civilian barrister.

As a new account, I can't post full links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Thanks for that - that link is very comprehensive.

Would Court Martials be a frequent event, and are they public (to other serving members) as courts in civilian life are?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wubba lubba dub dub

Courts Martial are indeed open to the public and there is a diary that can be found here. (www dot military dot ie/info-centre/courts-martial/court-martial-diary/)

The same rules apply to normal court and they can be held in camera where required (Rape etc.)

More info here (www dot military dot ie/info-centre/courts-martial/procedure-at-courts-martial/)

Again sorry about the new account can't post links!

Advertisement