Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GIS and GID Ireland

• 21-06-2017 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

Currently located in dorset, uk.
    Family is thinking about moving to sligo or rosscommon areas.

I am a commercial plumber in the uk currently (nvq level 3 heating and ventilation)
    I have loads of gas experience working with other engineers on installs,servicing commissioning etc, I am currently in the process of doing my acs in the uk.

If we did move over to Ireland then would it be easier if I waited till i had my uk acs gas or can i just do my gis and gid and have gas quallifications, apparently a training centre can do it in 6 days or so? Seems short.

I have loads of gas experience having done it with other engineers or company signing off installs it just takes a very long time to get your gas in the uk.

Any help appreciated, also costs if anyone has any.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Talk to.

www.metac.ie.

gas training center
    Tel 057 8756540

0035357 8756540

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

You will be fully qualified a few days over here

• Registered Users Posts: 6 uktoireland

Thanks for both replies.

I will ring the training centre tomorrow and see what they say, anthonyos could you explain more how i could be quallified in a few days over in ireland?

Thanks

Hi, I telephoned the training centre today and they told me to contact rgii.ie

I contacted them about what course I would need to do etc, they never got back to me..

Could anyone help about what course I would need to do, looks like I'm looking at a minimum of 8 weeks and €1950.

Any help appreciated, I'm a bit lost.

:)

RGII should have the answer for you on what you need, taking your UK qualifications into account, if you have any.
    Their not the best at ringing back..........., surprised Metac couldn't tell you :confused:

Other place for info is Paula Cosgrave at
    http://corktrainingcentre.ie/courses/35442/

• Advertisement

I will try them again tomorrow, I have a nvq level 3 in heating and ventilation city and guilds and im in the process of doing my acs core domestic gas safety, but struggling with the portfolio side as it's the height of summer.

So in short i have my nvq level 3 in heating and ventilation and loads of gas experience but not the certs yet.

Metac guy was polite and helpful but if he doesn't know he doesn't know i guess.

Will check that place out, it's more the fact i will need money when i come over for moving car etc let alone €1950 for gas course.

Cheers chaps,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

It will all depend on your current qualifications, at present you need an equivalent of a plumbing trade cert (or electrician,refrigeration) to enter the industry. (they also will accept the City and Guilds 552)

If you currently have you UK gas (ACS) and are Gas Safe registered, you should be able to undertake the DGA assessment (2 days) but you may also need some training beforehand on the differences in Ireland and UK regs (usually 3 - 5 days depending on your requirements)

If you meet the entry requirements, but don't currently hold your ACS and are not gas safe registered, you would have to take the 18 day entry course, DGS (Domestic Gas Safety, the replacement for the older GIS/GID)

Contact the RGII and ask for Sean to discuss, he will set you on the right road.

Have you looked at our gas grid to see how much gas in in the areas your looking at moving too???

Thank you very much for your information, this is exactly what I needed to know, I think I will be better off completing my ACS in the uk and then if we make the move to ireland doing the 2 day changeover for the regulations.

I haven't looked at the gas grid, that is also another very good idea.

Thank you so much to everyone for your help and replies, I will keep the site bookmarked as if we make the move it would be nice to have some engineers out there on the webs, I have also been reading alot of threads on the irish plumbing and heating system designs etc to get a feel for what is really out there.

Thanks again.

The gas exam is not easy here, as you have to pass in all disciplines of the trade, not just what you specialize in.

+ not much gas in your location, so you should consider OFTEC (oil) too.
    Bit like offering sunbeds in Dubai.

Luckily your preferred area isn't mine. :)

Tom44 wrote: »
    The gas exam is not easy here, as you have to pass in all disciplines of the trade, not just what you specialize in.

The Irish testing system is no comparison to the UK system, the UK testing system is hard and the Irish testing system is ridiculous easy.

• Advertisement

gary71 wrote: »
    Tom44 wrote: »

The Irish testing system is no comparison to the UK system, the UK testing system is hard and the Irish testing system is ridiculous easy.

I was just about tp say the UK system you have to do alot of tests and training and evidence work just to pass the most exam (CCN1 core) but yeah, I have never really done oil, But as oftec are over here if i wanted to do oil i could also do it before i leave.

So I've checked the grid and sligo and roscommon don't have natural gas from the grid, so it most likely to be lpg,oil or solid fuels in the more rural areas?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ponsonby

Did you ever get RGI registration ? Or Oftec ? It's seems impossible to use your use UK gas qualifications to even gain access to ROI gas course never mind RGI registration

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

If you are Gas Safe registered etc, you can apply to the RPL (recognised previous learning) panel via RGII, that will access your qualifications and if suitable allow you access to short gas training courses in Ireland, that in turn will allow you to apply for RGI membership.

Advertisement