Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game

Options
  • 21-06-2017 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to move away from farmed meat. I have some questions about game meats.

If a meat is called game does that mean it was wild killed? Or could it still be farmed?

Where does a person get game?

What animals in particular would you be looking at?

Are there any concerns with eating game twice a week or so?

Any parasites or anything to worry about or is it as safe as farmed meat?

What else should I be aware of?

Also, if there is such a thing as farmed meat here tht doesn't have to go through the transport and slaughter house I'd like to hear of that too. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Game is available in most super markets to some extent or look up Wild Irish Game's website.

Mostly Deer/Venison, Rabbit, Boar, Pheasant (in season), Partridge (in season), Grouse (in season) and Duck (in season) here. There is farmed duck and deer also. No health concerns over consuming game - all carcasses have to be inspected and certified as fit for consumption just as beef or chicken would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

If you can, make friends with a hunter, (a responsible and ethical one of course :) ) - no joke, you'll be buried under an avalanche of various cuts of venision before you know where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm looking to move away from farmed meat. I have some questions about game meats.

If a meat is called game does that mean it was wild killed? Or could it still be farmed?

I dont think the word game has a legal meaning, and I dont know how it is used exactly in retail, so dont assume that it means that the animal was wild killed.

Also, if there is such a thing as farmed meat here tht doesn't have to go through the transport and slaughter house I'd like to hear of that too. Thanks.

I don't understand, Every piece of meat that you eat, wild or farmed has to be killed and transported to where you eat it.

A quick google brought up this company

http://wildirishgame.ie

Would they be able to supply what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

huskerdu wrote: »
    I don't understand, Every piece of meat that you eat, wild or farmed has to be killed and transported to where you eat it.

Reading between the lines, I think the OP is looking for an animal that was killed in situ (either in the wild or on a farm) then transported... rather than an animal transported to an abatoir for slaughter.
    So maybe where someone kills and butchers their own farm animal would be acceptable... But I'm not sure if it is legal to sell such produce to the general public?

According to this site "Animals can only be slaughtered at a registered abattoir."
    (I assume that means farm animals)
    http://www.smallholding.ie/info--resources.html

Wild Irish Game have information about their facilities, it appears that legally hunted animals are brought to their plant for processing, packaging and then further transportation... As an Approved Game Handling Establishment, we offer a full wild game collection and intake service for hunters, throughout the season. We have two drop off locations, one in Glenmalure, Co. Wicklow and another in Clane, Co. Kildare.
    http://wildirishgame.ie/our-facilities/
    http://wildirishgame.ie/wild-game-hunters/

I've seen their wild Venison fillets in ALDI and Supervalu and they are lovely.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Reading between the lines, I think the OP is looking for an animal that was killed in situ (either in the wild or on a farm) then transported... rather than an animal transported to an abatoir for slaughter.
    So maybe where someone kills and butchers their own farm animal would be acceptable... But I'm not sure if it is legal to sell such produce to the general public?

According to this site "Animals can only be slaughtered at a registered abattoir."
    (I assume that means farm animals)
    [

Exactly, thanks for that info. The Wild Irish Game website is exactly what I'm looking for and there so happens to be a stockist in my locality. Thanks a million. Found what I was looking for!

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    Exactly, thanks for that info. The Wild Irish Game website is exactly what I'm looking for and there so happens to be a stockist in my locality. Thanks a million. Found what I was looking for!

Excellent, I love a thread with a happy ending.

One other point to note, if you haven't had wild pheasant, partridge before, well let's just say it can be an acquired taste - perhaps one some people never acquire the taste for. If you any old bottles of bordeaux lying around, or some rustic reds, now is the time to open them...

https://www.matchingfoodandwine.com/news/pairings/the-best-wine-pairings-for-pheasant/?tag=pheasant

One other point to note, if you haven't had wild pheasant, partridge before, well let's just say it can be an acquired taste - perhaps one some people never acquire the taste for. If you any old bottles of bordeaux lying around, or some rustic reds, now is the time to open them...

https://www.matchingfoodandwine.com/news/pairings/the-best-wine-pairings-for-pheasant/?tag=pheasant

Ha well my husband will eat anything and my toddler is still learning about tastes so I'd imagine it'll be ok. Looking forward to seeing how it goes down!

One last suggestion, game is not cheap... if you are doing a joint of venison, try to capture the juices and any little leftover scraps of meat. Look online for a ragu recipe ... you might find that with the flavour of the venison coming through and some 'meaty' mushrooms you will get another lovely dinner out of it.

Thank you! I probably cook 3 meat meals a week as it is so if I cook wisely like you suggest, I'm hoping it doesn't cost too much to do.

btw. I don't see fish on the game website. Is it not counted as game? And if I buy fish from a fishmonger, will they know if it's farmed or wild caught? (Does it make a difference when it comes to fish? I haven't a clue how fish are farmed and caught!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On the question of feeding game to infants, I don't know if this is still the case but back when I used to get game birds (pigeon, pheasant etc.) from a hunter I knew, it wasn't uncommon to find pieces of lead shot embedded in the flesh, so be careful.

On the subject of fish, only certain fish are farmed, most commonly salmon and trout. You can also buy wild salmon although that will not only be clearly marked as such but will also be much more expensive. You also sometimes see farmed sea bass, plus other less usual fish such as carp, and imported eastern Asian fish like tilapia, which is vile IMO anyway, so avoid.

• Advertisement

Thanks Alun, will keep an eye on that.

About fish, if you go to say Wrights Fishmongers in Howth, they will very clearly list what fish is farmed v wild caught.
    Wild mackerel is lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nowadays game usually isn't hung for as long as it traditionally was. It is much fresher and less gamey than before. I like the modern way.

Regarding fish, the fish monger is legally obliged to display the origin and if it is farmed or wild.

Advertisement